Contender or Pretender

5fouls

Between work and kids, I have seen very few national games this season.  Looking at the polls and computer analysis, there are a lot of unusual names near the top of the rankings. 

For those of you that may have followed this season more closely than I have, can you tell me which of the following teams are legit?  And,conversely, which are a mirage, and why?

• Cincinnati
  • Auburn
  • Tennessee
  • Clemson
  • Texas Tech
  • St. Mary's 
  • Rhode Island
  • Nevada

4 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

Cincinnati is legit, they are one of the best defensive teams in the country and this is the best offensive team Cronin has ever had at UC.  It hurts me to say that about UC as a Xavier grad, but they are good.

Cincinnati was the one team out of the group that I would seriously consider for the Final Four depending on the draw.

21 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

Cincinnati is legit, they are one of the best defensive teams in the country and this is the best offensive team Cronin has ever had at UC.  It hurts me to say that about UC as a Xavier grad, but they are good.

I’ve never been a fan of either program, but it would be pretty cool to see something like a Cincy-Xavier Elite. 

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Between work and kids, I have seen very few national games this season.  Looking at the polls and computer analysis, there are a lot of unusual names near the top of the rankings. 

For those of you that may have followed this season more closely than I have, can you tell me which of the following teams are legit?  And,conversely, which are a mirage, and why?

• Cincinnati
  • Auburn
  • Tennessee
  • Clemson
  • Texas Tech
  • St. Mary's 
  • Rhode Island
  • Nevada

I wish I could tell you. I saw 1 game of Rhode Island's...seem pretty good but not sure competition they play vs is legit. Cincy is very good. Have been all year. Auburn....I'm still not sold on them and I can't tell you why. Just eye test I guess. The others listed have all had ups and downs so I say mirage.

I just looked at all standings in hoops to find a team that could qualify as sneaky good for tourney. Just didn't see one that stood out. 

12 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Of those teams you listed.... I watched Rhode Island today.  And came away impressed.  Stanford Robinson.  Could be a surprise team, no one expected.  Just like when Butler first shook the world of college basketball. 

I just looked up conference standings on CBS.  Damn, Rhode Island's RPI ranking is #5.  Wow.

15 hours ago, 5fouls said:

• Cincinnati
  • Auburn
  • Tennessee
  • Clemson
  • Texas Tech
  • St. Mary's 
  • Rhode Island
  • Nevada

I've watched them all and have been most impressed with Cincy and Tennessee. Auburn is a close 3rd. St.Mary's and Clemson, not so much. St.Mary's had a chance at home to lock up their conference and got slapped by the Zags. 

12 minutes ago, Snozzwangers_und_covfefe said:

I've watched them all and have been most impressed with Cincy and Tennessee. Auburn is a close 3rd. St.Mary's and Clemson, not so much. St.Mary's had a chance at home to lock up their conference and got slapped by the Zags. 

Cincy plays thug ball, UT will melt.......now the Zags are a force.

32 minutes ago, Snozzwangers_und_covfefe said:

Tennessee got beat by 28 to Alabama yesterday

Archived