OT: Pray for Texas, and..

... pray for Houston, and surrounds.

I will move this to the "Animal House", when time is appropriate.

Our own.... Hoosier Hoopster.  Has been impacted by the storm.  He has been sharing with us mods, his story.  However, for now.. I will let him share his story with you all.... should he choose.   Suffice to say.  He has been effected. But not like others.

I have been glued to live feeds on my smart tv, since Thursday of last week.  I cannot express to you how much I have been impacted by the stories, after stories of hardship, after hardship. 

And today.... the storm moves East of Houston to wreak havoc on more of Texas, and now.... Louisiana. 

I can't begin to express my heartache.

Please share a prayer for all of out fellow Americans. 

Yeah, I know. This is a basketball forum.  And as I said, I will move this to the Animal House, when appropriate.  However, forever for now, please find it in your heart to send a prayer..... or at least a thought, to all these fellow Americans.

HH, is not the only one I know, that has been impacted by this storm.  Plse , at least keep them in your thoughts, if not in your prayers.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I went through a mandatory evacuation and my neighborhood is under water. However, my family and I are among the lucky as our house has not flooded. It is inaccessible, with the surrounding streets 4 feet deep in water and water half way up the lawns and driveways -- but while it has been harrowing, evacuating on less than 8 hours notice, with the routes the mayor and other officials were directing us to (with the literally tens of thousands evacuating from our large master-planned community) flooding and closing while we drove with our kids and pets, we had a friend who took us in (along with our two dogs) and our house appears to be safe. Many, many people here have lost their homes, and only 20% of Houstonians have flood insurance, and shelters are packed with people from all over the city and many surrounding counties. Then there are the terribly tragic losses mentioned. This is now apparently the worst flood in US history. My heart goes out to the many displaced, many rendered effectively homeless, and the many just suffering through this bizarre aftermath.   

And another thing, in terms of flood insurance.... HH.  Not sure how it works in Texas.  However, in Colorado.... if you do not live in a designated flood area, you are disallowed from buying flood insurance.... even if you want to.  So..... as a back up.... I have bought Umbrella ( no pun intended) insurance that covers me, if I would ever get caught in a flood, like what Houston is experiencing now.  Umbrella, in fact is cheap compared to flood insurance, by the way. 

Glad to hear you are OK HH. 

It has been inspiring to see the country rallying around Texas. 

There's a billboard on I294 near O'Hare Airport offering prayers for TX. 

I heard truckers are staged around the country waiting for the ok to bring in relief supplies. 

The efforts of the Good Samaritan Brigade have been awesome to see. 

Not to diminish any sentiment being felt towards Houston, but can people also think of India right now too?  I realize many people care about Houston more, since we're inherently tribal in nature and care more about domestic causes; especially since many have family/friends directly affected.  That said, what the people in India, Nepal, Bangladesh are going through with their floods - millions displaced and thousands dead, is on a scale much worse than what we've seen here at home.  I have many friends in and around Mumbai and it's just horrific the stories I've heard from there as well.  Should be enough prayers to go around. 

45 minutes ago, Snozzwangers_und_covfefe said:

Not to diminish any sentiment being felt towards Houston, but can people also think of India right now too?  I realize many people care about Houston more, since we're inherently tribal in nature and care more about domestic causes; especially since many have family/friends directly affected.  That said, what the people in India, Nepal, Bangladesh are going through with their floods - millions displaced and thousands dead, is on a scale much worse than what we've seen here at home.  I have many friends in and around Mumbai and it's just horrific the stories I've heard from there as well.  Should be enough prayers to go around. 

I was not even aware of these events.  Thanks for bringing them to my attention. Of course prayers are also on their way for your friends and others. 

Archived