So Very Sad....

Another shooting at a school. This time in Florida. Reports of casualties. Suspect is in custody at a hospital and only 18 years old. What is it coming to? My daughter is an assistant principal at a middle school, grades 6 thru 8. Yesterday, she had to expel a kid for bringing a knife to school.

As a parent I worry about her safety, as well as the kids.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not smart enough to offer a solution that would work, but something has to be done.  I can't think of many things sadder than children that can't feel safe in places where they are expected to be free of harm.  This may be the single most important social issue of this generation.

For those that don't know. Parkland is a very nice area of South Florida. Anthony Rizzo is from there (as are several other mlb players). I don't know the answer either. I'm not a gun guy but I respect the 2nd amendment. To me these school shootings while tragic and just sad...they are a by product (in my opinion) of the most important issue this generation faces. Bullying. 

Here in Indy the ladies from WTHR teamed up and went to a school and had lunch,etc....with a girl who gets made fun of/bullied. They showed a picture of her. Breaks my heart. Looks like a sweet pretty nice young girl. If she's getting bullied who in the world is safe from it?

Not going to get on a political rant here.  The common denominator in all of the school shootings have been the weapon of choice. the AR 15 is what most of the mass shooters in the US have used.  will banning that rifle stop the violence no but it sure as heck is better than doing nothing.  I have been researching and I do not sit on either side of the gun issue but for 99% of people there really is no need for an assault rifle. During the previous ban on similar weapons there were 8 mass shootings in the us during that 10 year period.  since the ban has been lifted there have been hundreds.  290 since 2013 and already 18 this year. we are desensitized to violence and we allow this type of weapon to be purchased pretty easily.  I don't want to hear "guns don't kill people, people do" that is a bunch of bull.  will it stop it probably not but sitting back and doing nothing has really worked well for us. Why not make it harder.  How many people would have died at Vegas if the shooter had a .22 or a shot gun. I can guarantee not as many.   as a history teacher the 2nd amendment protected our country from occupation of invaders as well as the gov't and was very important in the late 1700's and early 1800's especially since we just overthrew our own gov't. We were also talking about muskets not assault rifles. 

We can continue to sit quietly and say our prayers are with them the victims  but as long as we keep GOD out of every importance place and allow people to get their hands on these weapons nothing will change.  40 years ago I used to ride in the back window on our Gran torino but at some point people wised up and said thats just not safe. I used to never wear a seat belt and used lead paint etc... We would rather protect or NRA card carrying citizens than those precious innocent children. That is why  this country is so screwed up its not even imaginable.  Rant over.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Mass shootings have happened elsewhere on occasion, but are, for the most part, almost exclusively American.  What does America do (or not do) that creates an atmosphere where this continues to happen?  One thing stands out to me,  

I think about my childhood and growing up.  I was on a tractor plowing a field at the ripe old age of 9.  Mowed the yard.  Tilled the garden.  Kids today don't grow up that way.  Throw the damn gun BS out of it.  They watch TV and play video games that applaud violence(murder).  Rant over.......for now.

This is tough...I'm a gun guy...even a federal firearms license holder, but I don't know anyone in favor of criminals and unstable people having access to firearms.  I read an article the other day about the social isolation aspect and I thought the author made some good points:

https://mystudentapt.com/2015/10/06/theres-a-way-to-stop-mass-shootings-and-you-wont-like-it/

Kind of intertwined with the concern over bullying.  I'm not going to pretend that I or even the author has a lock-down solution to the problem but I absolutely agree that we can't sit on our hands and watch innocent children be slaughtered.

34 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Mass shootings have happened elsewhere on occasion, but are, for the most part, almost exclusively American.  What does America do (or not do) that creates an atmosphere where this continues to happen?  One thing stands out to me,  

I know where you are going with this, but let me suggest another idea.  The 24 hour news cycle in this country makes celebrities out of these mentally defective shit-heels.  They post their picture on the TV around the clock, they do entire shows on them, hell, they even make movies about them.  That celebrity and immortality is a powerful drug to these mentally defective shit-heels.  Less publicity, and public executions. 

9 hours ago, Muddy River said:

I know where you are going with this, but let me suggest another idea.  The 24 hour news cycle in this country makes celebrities out of these mentally defective shit-heels.  They post their picture on the TV around the clock, they do entire shows on them, hell, they even make movies about them.  That celebrity and immortality is a powerful drug to these mentally defective shit-heels.  Less publicity, and public executions. 

As I mentioned in my first post, even earlier in the thread than the one you quoted, I'm not smart enough to offer a solution.   I do, however, think it's an issue that seems to be uniquely American.  So, the focus of the effort to fix the problem should start with looking at things that America does differently than other parts of the world. There is not an easy answer.    

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

As I mentioned in my first post, even earlier in the thread than the one you quoted, I'm not smart enough to offer a solution.   I do, however, think it's an issue that seems to be uniquely American.  So, the focus of the effort to fix the problem should start with looking at things that America does differently than other parts of the world. There is not an easy answer.    

The first thing to take a look at is what is the "home" structure in this country.  Then take a look at the school structure.  I just dunno......but this epidemic needs to end.

13 hours ago, rico said:

I think about my childhood and growing up.  I was on a tractor plowing a field at the ripe old age of 9.  Mowed the yard.  Tilled the garden.  Kids today don't grow up that way.  Throw the damn gun BS out of it.  They watch TV and play video games that applaud violence(murder).  Rant over.......for now.

Lots of things used to work that don't anymore as society evolves. 

2 hours ago, rico said:

The first thing to take a look at is what is the "home" structure in this country.  Then take a look at the school structure.  I just dunno......but this epidemic needs to end.

I can agree to this. We need better funding and better access to health care. We let way too many kids fall through the cracks because we don't give them the help they need. 

13 hours ago, Muddy River said:

Do other countries not have a 24 hour news cycle? I honestly don't know the answer to that. 

I think one thing that gets lost due to mischaracterization of positions by certain news outlets is that very few people advocate for taking away everyone guns. What people do advocate for is mandatory background checks, waiting periods and perhaps even not allowing the sale of an AR-15. 

We have all types of laws and regulations in place to protect the public from other things that can be dangerous if used improperly. 

The media absolutely has played a supporting role in this issue.  And, it's not just the way they report it when it happens.  The media has failed to address the true issues that lead up to event and educate the American people about WHY this continues to happen.  If someone in the media started offering viable solutions, then pressure could be applied to the right spots to initiate true change that will make a difference. 

On 2/17/2018 at 7:46 AM, rico said:

I don't even know where to begin with this school stuff.  Something needs to be done ASAP.

Hits very close to home for the mile family.  My son went to three funerals created by the Columbine disaster.  And he requested and we granted that he not go to school on April 20.... the following year. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That's a completely different discussion, but regardless of rather society has evolved or devolved society is not the same as what you grew up with.  It's a different society and it needs different rules.  

So you are saying what worked back then won't work now?

33 minutes ago, rico said:

So you are saying what worked back then won't work now?

I'm saying society has changed so how we do things must change. 

Evolved, devloved and things worked are all a different discussion. Regardless of where you fall there, surely we can agree society had changed?

7 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

I am not sure how to express my opinions or beliefs without getting this thread locked.  So I will simply say that things must change starting with doing something with assault rifle legislation.

Too many people are trying to make this into a gun problem.  They deem it as the easy solution.  Seems to me we got a bunch of kids out there that don't value human life.  Seems to me we got a bunch of kids out there that mentally aren't stable.  Those are just a couple of issues to look at other than guns.

Archived