FBI/NCAA news...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely concerned about Crean's connection to Kenny Johnson and Archie's obvious connection with his brother. Those were the primary people being investigated and I'm sure they spent a great deal of time and resources trying to find any incriminating info on Louisville and Zona. I know people believe Crean is clean but coaches say otherwise... CBS Sports did an article on who coaches perceive to be the biggest cheaters in college hoops, and with a poll from 100 of them they had this

Coach Cal (UK): 36%

Scott Drew (Baylor): 34%

Ben Howland (UCLA): 12%

Jim Calhoun (UConn): 7%

Dave Rice (UNLV): 3%

Tom Crean (IU): 3%

Obviously, perception doesn't equal reality but just felt I would share. Per the reports, IU could easily benefit from the fact that it sounds like the FBI only has damaging info dating the last 3 years.

Interesting development...this could get messy in handing down punishments. Seems like this article is a teaser for how much corruption there is in college bball right now. IMO I think it's everywhere and is just par the course at this point with the current big boys being the worst offenders probably. Good that IU isn't on any of this though. 

If major changes are made in the game, I think our IU brand is something that money can't buy Cleaning up college bball will be good for our brand compared to others in the long term. 

Or the NCAA continues it's absolute joke of "enforcing" rules and we are at status quo. We'll see...

38 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Interesting development...this could get messy in handing down punishments. Seems like this article is a teaser for how much corruption there is in college bball right now. IMO I think it's everywhere and is just par the course at this point with the current big boys being the worst offenders probably. Good that IU isn't on any of this though. 

If major changes are made in the game, I think our IU brand is something that money can't buy Cleaning up college bball will be good for our brand compared to others in the long term. 

Or the NCAA continues it's absolute joke of "enforcing" rules and we are at status quo. We'll see...

Given the potential volume and programs involved, this may actually end up not benefiting IU for staying clean.  I could really see the NCAA relaxing their rules and making major changes related to schools paying players after this.  If so many programs are doing it, they really can't knock out half of their members because those member institutions will kick the NCAA to curb given the clout of many of them, especially if they get penalized for transgressions of the students that they had nothing to do with or knowledge of.  I don't see college sports (NCAA) being anything close to what is currently after this all said and done because the NCAA will have to finally give in.

Just now, IUALUM03 said:

Given the potential volume and programs involved, this may actually end up not benefiting IU for staying clean.  I could really see the NCAA relaxing their rules and making major changes related to schools paying players after this.  If so many programs are doing it, they really can't knock out half of their members because those member institutions will kick the NCAA to curb given the clout of many of them, especially if they get penalized for transgressions of the students that they had nothing to do with or knowledge of.  I don't see college sports (NCAA) being anything close to what is currently after this all said and done because the NCAA will have to finally give in.

Interesting take and sounds like something the NCAA would do.

Yesterday on his show, Mark Packer was talking with Wes Durham from the ACC network about this.

They felt that before all this came out, there would be another round of Power 5 conferences realigning. Now with all of this, they stated that they thought that reform would come first, and that the new rules would specifically separate the Power 5's from the rest of collegiate sports. Will it happen? Don't know, but if the big boys start to get their feet held to the fire with more stringent rules, that will be good for all . 

19 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Yea interesting things to think about...as far as the college game and paying players go...my two cents is as follows:

You let the one's good enough to be paid at the college level the opportunity to do whatever they want (no restrictions after high school). That means some would go pro right away in the NBA, others would take their chances overseas, G league, etc. Then you still have solid high school players not good enough for pros right away get the benefit of exposure, improvement and free education (the original premise of rewarding college students that are gifted athletically)...then they are free to go pro when they feel ready. I definitely get the player's frustations that feel used (gotta know your market worth and if somebody is reaping the benefits at your expense I think that's not ok)...but I also don't think this secret middle ground of unspoken money exchanges as good either. Basically if you take a rivals 150 each year...you'd lose on the top 10 who go straight to the NBA, 10-30 may try overseas/G league and the rest of the crop take the college opportunity to showcase their skills and improve (30+). This may mean less explosive dunks, wow moments...but personally that's not the reason why I love college bball so much. It's about supporting my alma mater and the close bonds I've created with friends cheering on my team through college. It's a Jordy Hulls three in the corner that gets me more jacked up than a Noah Vonleh posterized dunk if that makes sense. Who knows what will actually happen though...

38 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Yea interesting things to think about...as far as the college game and paying players go...my two cents is as follows:

You let the one's good enough to be paid at the college level the opportunity to do whatever they want (no restrictions after high school). That means some would go pro right away in the NBA, others would take their chances overseas, G league, etc. Then you still have solid high school players not good enough for pros right away get the benefit of exposure, improvement and free education (the original premise of rewarding college students that are gifted athletically)...then they are free to go pro when they feel ready. I definitely get the player's frustations that feel used (gotta know your market worth and if somebody is reaping the benefits at your expense I think that's not ok)...but I also don't think this secret middle ground of unspoken money exchanges as good either. Basically if you take a rivals 150 each year...you'd lose on the top 10 who go straight to the NBA, 10-30 may try overseas/G league and the rest of the crop take the college opportunity to showcase their skills and improve (30+). This may mean less explosive dunks, wow moments...but personally that's not the reason why I love college bball so much. It's about supporting my alma mater and the close bonds I've created with friends cheering on my team through college. It's a Jordy Hulls three in the corner that gets me more jacked up than a Noah Vonleh posterized dunk if that makes sense. Who knows what will actually happen though...

Couple of thoughts.  First, the NBA controls the 1 and done rule, not NCAA, so for the high school players to go straight to pro, the NBA would need to change their rules.  Second, even if you eliminate the NBA level players, then you will get a bidding war on the next tier (the players rated 25 and beyond).  As long as their are people paying to see college sports, the pressure will be there to go after the highest level recruits possible, whatever they are.

I have always been in the middle on paying players.  On one hand, I see players driving billions of dollars that maybe shouldn't be paid, but should be able to earn a buck off their names whether that be in signing autographs or getting a piece of jersey sales, but I also realize relaxing these rules create a slippery slope.  On the other hand, they are getting a free education, access to top notch trainers, coaches, facilities to perfect their chosen profession, so why should they get more.  Research drives just as much money as athletics (actually much more) and many schools use med students an other types to essentially do research that the person gets none of, but goes directly to the school. Look no further than the students/research facility that created Mosaic at UoI and essentially led to the internet as we know it today.  The school reaped the benefit of that invention/advancement, not the people that actually created it because it was done in University facilities.  Why should athletes get paid, but these students and researchers not?

32 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Couple of thoughts.  First, the NBA controls the 1 and done rule, not NCAA, so for the high school players to go straight to pro, the NBA would need to change their rules.  Second, even if you eliminate the NBA level players, then you will get a bidding war on the next tier (the players rated 25 and beyond).  As long as their are people paying to see college sports, the pressure will be there to go after the highest level recruits possible, whatever they are.

I have always been in the middle on paying players.  On one hand, I see players driving billions of dollars that maybe shouldn't be paid, but should be able to earn a buck off their names whether that be in signing autographs or getting a piece of jersey sales, but I also realize relaxing these rules create a slippery slope.  On the other hand, they are getting a free education, access to top notch trainers, coaches, facilities to perfect their chosen profession, so why should they get more.  Research drives just as much money as athletics (actually much more) and many schools use med students an other types to essentially do research that the person gets none of, but goes directly to the school. Look no further than the students/research facility that created Mosaic at UoI and essentially led to the internet as we know it today.  The school reaped the benefit of that invention/advancement, not the people that actually created it because it was done in University facilities.  Why should athletes get paid, but these students and researchers not?

Interesting thoughts...didn't realize the NBA controls the 1 and done rule instead of NCAA, thanks for the clarification. For the bidding war piece, wouldn't you run out of profitable leagues that can sustain enough fan support (i.e. Euro leagues and G-league or whatever it's called these days would take kids in the 10-30 range). But then, at a certain point the only "market" the players ranked 30+ can reap the benefits from would be the college game for free education, facilities, etc. But yea, actually that may just shift the goal posts to your point...the 31st ranked recruit would then become the most coveted but the same issues would remain. Maybe paying the players a stipend is the most realistic route. 

Good thoughts on the research/med students though, hadn't thought about that and makes for a fair point as to why college athletes should expect so much. As someone in their late 20's and fairly new in their career but had solid experiences already, a great education can be a springboard for the rest of your life and not something that is worth "nothing". Thanks for your thoughts.

• 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but here it is! Romeo's Dad says Kansas has been out since the FBI tie in!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/romeo-langfords-father-says-kansas-wasnt-an-option-due-to-its-ties-to-the-fbi-investigation/

Yet another head scratcher  statement from Tim.  It was earlier in April that both he and Romeo made statements that the FBI probe would have no impact on their consideration of Kansas.  In fact, many of the Kansas newspapers made hay with their comments about that. Also that earlier statement caused a ripple of panic among IU fans.... thinking that KU still had a chance.

Romeo Langford: FBI investigation doesn’t hurt Kansas’ chances

17 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yet another head scratcher  statement from Tim.  It was earlier in April that both he and Romeo made statements that the FBI probe would have no impact on their consideration of Kansas.  In fact, many of the Kansas newspapers made hay with their comments about that. Also that earlier statement caused a ripple of panic among IU fans.... thinking that KU still had a chance.

Romeo Langford: FBI investigation doesn’t hurt Kansas’ chances

I think it has become clear that Tim and Romeo were masterfully just ducking every question that came their way.  I was so happy that nothing leaked and he had his moment.

Archived