FBI/NCAA news...

1 hour ago, Muddy River said:

Just like every parent knows everything the teenager that lives under their roof does, right?

Lol, such a lame comparison.  I forgot there are a ton of parents running around out there getting paid $3-5M to run their nationally televised households successfully.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Lol, such a lame comparison.  I forgot there are a ton of parents running around out there getting paid $3-5M to run their nationally televised households successfully.

Are you suggesting that a coach is more in tune with what a teenager is doing than a parent because they make a lot of money?

15 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Are you suggesting that a coach is more in tune with what a teenager is doing than a parent because they make a lot of money?

No, I’m suggesting that a big time D1 coach is more in tune with what his players are doing because he is the millionaire CEO of a massively popular business, and coaches don’t get to that level by lacking awareness of what’s going on in their program.

It’s a dumb and naive comparison.  You should give Rick Pitino a call, I’m sure you would enjoy listening to his sob story.

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

No, I’m suggesting that a big time D1 coach is more in tune with what his players are doing because he is the millionaire CEO of a massively popular business, and coaches don’t get to that level by lacking awareness of what’s going on in their program.

It’s a dumb and naive comparison.  You should give Rick Pitino a call, I’m sure you would enjoy listening to his sob story.

I’ve worked for several different, some very high profile, companies where the CEO’s make a ton of money, and I’ve never met one that know everything that’s going on in their company. It’s just a completely unrealistic thing. You can never know everything that’s going on. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I’ve worked for several different, some very high profile, companies where the CEO’s make a ton of money, and I’ve never met one that know everything that’s going on in their company. It’s just a completely unrealistic thing. You can never know everything that’s going on. 

Did those CEOs have to keep track of fewer than 20 employees?

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Did those CEOs have to keep track of fewer than 20 employees?

Come on, man...you're being completely unrealistic here.  At times several of those employees are traveling to see players and scout games.  You think the coach has them all tailed 24/7?

Coaches are responsible for more than just the players, so there’s more than 20 people.

Believe it or not, when I first worked for the Celtics there were under 50 employees. I’ve also worked for several small start-ups, and the CEO’s quite often have very little understanding of what every employees even does. 

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Come on, man...you're being completely unrealistic here.  At times several of those employees are traveling to see players and scout games.  You think the coach has them all tailed 24/7?

I think anyone that wants to believe these coaches are innocent is being unrealistic.  Look at what just came out today in relation to the FBI investigation.  College basketball recruiting is an inherently dirty game, and every major D1 coach knows that.  I think it’s just incredibly naive to think that an assistant coach could be setting up payments to players, etc., and the poor innocent head coach just had no idea.  It’s just not the way it works.

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I think anyone that wants to believe these coaches are innocent is being unrealistic.  Look at what just came out today in relation to the FBI investigation.  College basketball recruiting is an inherently dirty game, and every major D1 coach knows that.  I think it’s just incredibly naive to think that an assistant coach could be setting up payments to players, etc., and the poor innocent head coach just had no idea.  It’s just not the way it works.

My point isn’t that the coaches are innocent, though I’m sure some things they’re directly in on and some they’re not. I’m just responding to your statement that the coaches know every detail of everything that happens in their program. That’s just completely unrealistic. 

30 minutes ago, BGleas said:

My point isn’t that the coaches are innocent, though I’m sure some things they’re directly in on and some they’re not. I’m just responding to your statement that the coaches know every detail of everything that happens in their program. That’s just completely unrealistic. 

Sure, I guess it’s impossible to know every single detail about everything.  I doubt Crean knew Devin Davis was going to try to jump over that car, lol.  But that’s not really what I was talking about.  I stand by my statement that coaches always know when shady recruiting is occurring in their programs.

37 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I have no doubt that many head coaches know what's going on, but I also leave open the possibility that some assistants trying to gain an edge do things without the knowledge or permission of their head coaches.  Tone is set at the top, but to expect that one person can be everywhere and know everything about their program and all the people involved in their program is unrealistic. I likewise stand by my statement.  Your expectation, while having some elements of truth is overall, not realistic.

A more in-depth story...this is going to be fascinating to watch...

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-college-hoops-corruption-case-poised-take-hall-fame-coaches-top-programs-lottery-picks-224417174.html

I don't see any way UK isn't caught up in this.  I see Arizona in trouble, which is disappointing.  Likewise, I would not be shocked to see Duke, UNC, Kansas and UCLA impacted as well.

...and yeah, it's possible that IU and Purdue even get caught up in this, but given the lack of top players in both programs, I see it as much less likely.

No freaking way Brian Bowen ever plays for Frank Martin...I'm just not buying that.

Seems like every time we hear about big news coming it only lives up to the hype about 1% of time because ultimately the penalties levied don't matter. I'm sure there is widespread cheating going on. Wow. Not a big revelation.

Doesn't matter if there isn't penalties and I don't see how the NCAA will enforce penalties over the next 6 weeks.

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Seems like every time we hear about big news coming it only lives up to the hype about 1% of time because ultimately the penalties levied don't matter. I'm sure there is widespread cheating going on. Wow. Not a big revelation.

Doesn't matter if there isn't penalties and I don't see how the NCAA will enforce penalties over the next 6 weeks.

Expectations - reality = disappointment ?  Perhaps, but in this case I am hopeful.

I have a feeling Coach K will be protected, but you'll see people like Self, Sean Miller, Bruce Pearl, maybe Boeheim, and not sure about Cal. 

Either way, I'm half excited to finally have some of these schools/coaches proven to be cheaters (though I hope IU isn't on the list) and I absolutely want the game cleaned up, but at the same time I don't want college sports as I've know it my entire life to cease to exist or to turn into something completely unrecognizable. 

I'm all for cleaning this up, and recruiting has really become a cesspool and desensitized me to the sport and how good IU really can be (I don't think we've been competing on a level playing field), but at the same time I don't want this blown up to the point that I no longer recognize or want to watch college basketball. 

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I have a feeling Coach K will be protected, but you'll see people like Self, Sean Miller, Bruce Pearl, maybe Boeheim, and not sure about Cal. 

Either way, I'm half excited to finally have some of these schools/coaches proven to be cheaters (though I hope IU isn't on the list) and I absolutely want the game cleaned up, but at the same time I don't want college sports as I've know it my entire life to cease to exist or to turn into something completely unrecognizable. 

I'm all for cleaning this up, and recruiting has really become a cesspool and desensitized me to the sport and how good IU really can be (I don't think we've been competing on a level playing field), but at the same time I don't want this blown up to the point that I no longer recognize or want to watch college basketball. 

How do you think Coach K will be protected if it's the FBI not the NCAA?

Wouldn't it be crazy if after this is all said and done, Bob Knight is the all-time wins leader again?

5 minutes ago, cybergates said:

How do you think Coach K will be protected if it's the FBI not the NCAA?

Wouldn't it be crazy if after this is all said and done, Bob Knight is the all-time wins leader again?

The FBI has never covered stuff up or protected certain entities before? 

At this point, it doesn’t sound like any more criminal charges will be brought.  The charges against Brad Augustine have already been dismissed, and it appears there was some impropriety in the investigations.  From what I’ve been reading, it just sounds like the information uncovered during the previous investigations will be released, and the NCAA will have to decide what to do with it.

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

A more in-depth story...this is going to be fascinating to watch...

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-college-hoops-corruption-case-poised-take-hall-fame-coaches-top-programs-lottery-picks-224417174.html

I don't see any way UK isn't caught up in this.  I see Arizona in trouble, which is disappointing.  Likewise, I would not be shocked to see Duke, UNC, Kansas and UCLA impacted as well.

...and yeah, it's possible that IU and Purdue even get caught up in this, but given the lack of top players in both programs, I see it as much less likely.

No freaking way Brian Bowen ever plays for Frank Martin...I'm just not buying that.

“This goes a lot deeper in college basketball than four corrupt assistant coaches,” said a source who has been briefed on the details of the case. “When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won’t be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.”

this paragraph tells it all that it will effect the very best programs.  Just hope we can come through this unscathed and college basketball can actually get cleaned up.

Archived