FBI/NCAA news...

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yep, which is why I’ve always thought that it’s funny people are so positive Crean was squeaky clean.  But DJ is right, Johnson was gone by the time we got Bryant.  He left in 2014.

I'm still positive Crean was squeaky clean.  I've never seen evidence to convince me otherwise.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

At the very least, you have to question his judgment for employing Kenny Johnson.

Well at this point, I certainly do, but misjudging a hire is a lot different than bending/breaking rules.  I just don't see Crean as that type of person.

The argument could be made that we've already been punished if Vonleh's recruitment becomes an issue. He stayed one year, the product on the floor was mediocre, and the narrative on the team was that the locker room was dysfunctional.

I'd say that we've already suffered enough from Noah's brief IU career 

14 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm still positive Crean was squeaky clean.  I've never seen evidence to convince me otherwise.

I've never seen any evidence either, but the only thing that has ever given me a pause on Crean in terms of that stuff is the MSU game when both Bryant and Thon Maker visited. I think it was Yogi's junior year. We had Colin Hartman playing center, were absolutely on the bubble and were coming off a year where we missed the tournament all together. The Crean critics were getting very vocal and boo's were a regular occurrence at games. 

Then seemingly out of the blue Maker and Bryant show up for a visit at the same game. Yes, we were recruiting both which wasn't out of the blue, but the visit was. My recollection is that  in terms of the media and fans, nobody really knew they were visiting until they showed up at the game. I've always wondered how desperate Crean was at that point, especially to land a big-time big. 

I'm not trying to make an accusation. I really think Crean was clean, but that one visit has always kind of made me think. 

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Was Wooden that type of person?  Just sayin'

I think it's pretty well established that Wooden was aware of Sam Gilbert and even told players to stay away.  The fact that he didn't go further to stop it tells me that no, he was not that type of person.  I have a level of respect for what Wooden accomplished, but it is significantly diminished knowing how he was aided in the process.

32 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Going from Chuck Martin to Kenny Johnson and then landing Vonleh pretty much out of nowhere is more than enough smoke.  He was no Pitino, but I would bet he was letting his assistants play the game to a certain extent.

Edit: Not to mention the A-Hope stuff.

8 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Going from Chuck Martin to Kenny Johnson and then landing Vonleh pretty much out of nowhere is more than enough smoke.  He was no Pitino, but I would bet he was letting his assistants play the game to a certain extent.

Edit: Not to mention the A-Hope stuff.

That assumes he knew everything they were doing and that they actually did something wrong.  A little smoke does not equal evidence of wrongdoing and there are a lot of coaches I'd say were more likely to have cut corners or knew that their assistants were cutting corners.  The worst thing I can come up with that is actual evidence was when Crean had his calendar dates wrong and visited Gary Harris one day out of season, which was immediately reported and dealt with.  I just don't see anything beyond conjecture about why a couple of recruits chose IU.

29 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

Chuck Martin learned from Cal at Memphis I believe.  That may be a bad sign

Bruiser Flint was an assistant for J. Calipari a UMASS from 89-96 and became HC at UMASS after CP left.

Ed Schilling was also an assistant for JP at UMASS when they went to the FF, and he coached for him in the NBA.  He also has significant involvement with Adidas in the past.

I'm not saying there's anything there as these guys seem clean to me.  But there are all kinds of these kinds of ties in CBB.

29 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That assumes he knew everything they were doing and that they actually did something wrong.  A little smoke does not equal evidence of wrongdoing and there are a lot of coaches I'd say were more likely to have cut corners or knew that their assistants were cutting corners.  The worst thing I can come up with that is actual evidence was when Crean had his calendar dates wrong and visited Gary Harris one day out of season, which was immediately reported and dealt with.  I just don't see anything beyond conjecture about why a couple of recruits chose IU.

A college basketball coach knows everything that’s going on in his program.

Yahoo Sports just tweeted out that Hall of Fame Coaches, Top Programs, Lottery Picks,etc....said the sport of college basketball will significantly altered. As long as Kentucky, Carolina, Duke, Kansas, and maybe Sparty are hit...I'm good with the rest getting a pass.

As it relates to IU. We've had 2 lottery picks (Zeller and Oladipo) in recent years. We have't had a HOF coach in 18 years. And we haven't been on top of the sport in years (minus two runs during Crean time). I think we are clear. Haha..

A few more thoughts about Vonleh...IU had a high profile center in Zeller during Vonleh's recruitment and they played an exciting style of ball.  I think what got his attention with IU was that IU was the first program that recruited him for a year earlier, which got Noah to the pros a year earlier.

Maybe shenanigans happened...I can't say they did or didn't.  I just see Crean as a very clean coach who backed away from more than one dirty recruitment (see Lyles, Trey and Lyle, JaQuan) and I think there were several compelling reasons for Noah Vonleh to go to IU besides something dirty.

6 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

The argument could be made that we've already been punished if Vonleh's recruitment becomes an issue. He stayed one year, the product on the floor was mediocre, and the narrative on the team was that the locker room was dysfunctional.

I'd say that we've already suffered enough from Noah's brief IU career 

To that brother, I say a big AMEN!!!!!

29 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

A few more thoughts about Vonleh...IU had a high profile center in Zeller during Vonleh's recruitment and they played an exciting style of ball.  I think what got his attention with IU was that IU was the first program that recruited him for a year earlier, which got Noah to the pros a year earlier.

Maybe shenanigans happened...I can't say they did or didn't.  I just see Crean as a very clean coach who backed away from more than one dirty recruitment (see Lyles, Trey and Lyle, JaQuan) and I think there were several compelling reasons for Noah Vonleh to go to IU besides something dirty.

Corect me if I'm wrong but it seems I remember Crean even mentioning something along the lines of he wasn't playing those games (in regards to recruiting certain players).....

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Yahoo Sports just tweeted out that Hall of Fame Coaches, Top Programs, Lottery Picks,etc....said the sport of college basketball will significantly altered. As long as Kentucky, Carolina, Duke, Kansas, and maybe Sparty are hit...I'm good with the rest getting a pass.

As it relates to IU. We've had 2 lottery picks (Zeller and Oladipo) in recent years. We have't had a HOF coach in 18 years. And we haven't been on top of the sport in years (minus two runs during Crean time). I think we are clear. Haha..

I think you buried the lede. 

may affect THIS YEAR’S tournament. 

Archived