FBI/NCAA news...

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

At this point, it doesn’t sound like any more criminal charges will be brought.  The charges against Brad Augustine have already been dismissed, and it appears there was some impropriety in the investigations.  From what I’ve been reading, it just sounds like the information uncovered during the previous investigations will be released, and the NCAA will have to decide what to do with it.

I haven't read everything yet and not sure if I will. But charges dismissed against Augustine could imply he's going to be a cooperator and in exchange for all of his testimony and information....his charges are dropped. Cases this size never get made without cooperating witnesses. Just my 2 cents.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I haven't read everything yet and not sure if I will. But charges dismissed against Augustine could imply he's going to be a cooperator and in exchange for all of his testimony and information....his charges are dropped. Cases this size never get made without cooperating witnesses. Just my 2 cents.

I read last night that Augustine took money, but never gave it to a player (or they couldn't prove it) so they dropped the charges.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

The FBI has never covered stuff up or protected certain entities before? 

I'm sure they have, but wouldn't think they would have any reason to do so for Coach K. If he's part of the group, I don't know why they would choose to exclude him. I can see the NCAA doing so. Maybe they find a way to protect Coach K?

I was legitimately asking how you think the FBI would protect him, not being snarky.

I've been wondering how the Duke Head Basketball Coach keeps landing all of those STUD FIVE STAR players ??  If he is guilty , I hope the FBI nails his carcass to the wall !! I'm hoping the FBI accomplishes what those wimps at the NCAA Offices have FAILED to do and that is to rid  College basketball  of the Cheaters Like Calismelli , Roy Willilaims  ,  Pruce Berl , etc While I am on my soap box , John Wooden's name should be removed PERMANENTLY from any NCAA EVENT because of the cheating that Weasel did during his final 12 seasons at UCLA !!!! I hate that Buying of players for COLLEGE BASKETBALL schools !!

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

I'm sure they have, but wouldn't think they would have any reason to do so for Coach K. If he's part of the group, I don't know why they would choose to exclude him. I can see the NCAA doing so. Maybe they find a way to protect Coach K?

I was legitimately asking how you think the FBI would protect him, not being snarky.

I wasn't clear in my original post, I actually meant the NCAA would protect him.

Didn't think you were being snarky at all :cheers:

Anyone see this quote from article released last night? Maybe this thing actually has some juice. 

“When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won’t be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.”

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Anyone see this quote from article released last night? Maybe this thing actually has some juice. 

“When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won’t be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.”

I saw that. I think the wording is interesting when it says appearances being vacated. That makes it sound like nothing will happen/come out before mid March. 

49 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I saw that. I think the wording is interesting when it says appearances being vacated. That makes it sound like nothing will happen/come out before mid March. 

Yep. Kind of what I thought earlier in this thread. Considering how slow NCAA moves. Maybe the report comes out and teams decide to ban themselves for the year hoping that's enough punishment??

49 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Kind of what I thought earlier in this thread. Considering how slow NCAA moves. Maybe the report comes out and teams decide to ban themselves for the year hoping that's enough punishment??

Or, go the Carolina route and say, "Dang it, we haven't done anything wrong" , and get away with it. Will be very sad if our Hoosiers are implicated in any way.  

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I took the vacate to mean nothing would happen before this year’s tournament but that its results could be vacated after the fact. I personally doubt anything happens prior to the tournament. 

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I took the vacate to mean nothing would happen before this year’s tournament but that its results could be vacated after the fact. I personally doubt anything happens prior to the tournament. 

Yep. I just meant that a team appears on this mysterious list. Would it better to self impose a tourney ban this year immediately especially if you know you don't have a deep tourney run in you. Syracuse move. 

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I would imagine that much of the advertising money has already been committed to by sponsors and that the NCAA and CBS would face a lot of backlash and potential lawsuits if the tournament field was watered down by teams being forced out or voluntarily pulling out. There is too much money made in the 3 weeks of the event and unfortunately that is what will rule any decisions made by the NCAA.

After the checks have all been cashed is when any repercussions will come 

6 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I would imagine that much of the advertising money has already been committed to by sponsors and that the NCAA and CBS would face a lot of backlash and potential lawsuits if the tournament field was watered down by teams being forced out or voluntarily pulling out. There is too much money made in the 3 weeks of the event and unfortunately that is what will rule any decisions made by the NCAA.

After the checks have all been cashed is when any repercussions will come 

Won't impact it a bit. Unless you could prove that the NCAA was in a conspiracy with the schools caught cheating. CBS (and other networks) all pay for the rights. Regardless of who is in tourney. Would they prefer 4 big names make the Final 4? Preference being from large school/following/market? Absolutely. But they couldn't make a legal argument saying they want $ back because we didn't have good enough teams competing for title. 

9 hours ago, milehiiu said:

In terms of Crean's statement of not playing games.... let's not forget Crean fired Roshawn McLeod. 

McLeod got fired because he was actively working against Crean, not because he was breaking a rule and Crean took a moral stand against it.

Every employer in the world would fire someone working against the business. 

35 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

McLeod got fired because he was actively working against Crean, not because he was breaking a rule and Crean took a moral stand against it.

Every employer in the world would fire someone working against the business. 

We all know the reason Crean fired McLeod.  And I could not agree with you more.  The point being....is  that Crean acted proactively against a nefarious assistant.... so that we don't have to worry about what might have happened if Crean had not acted.... unlike many of the assistants that got arrested months ago, that set off this FBI probe in the first place.  Can go back to Penn State, when the HC turned his head, for years..  And at Syracuse in basketball.  Not all coaches act so quickly.  And many, even after the assistant has gone rouge will defend their actions.  Again.... because of Crean's unwillingness not to play games.... we don't have to worry about McLeod. 

9 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Think it was Fran frashicalla on dakich today say the rumor is the FBI is dropping new indictments the Tuesday after selection Sunday.  

So I'll have a reason this year to do all 20+ tourney brackets on Wednesday night of tourney week. Haha..

I keep seeing Kansas, Villanova, Arizona as 3 programs people keep discussing but sounds like at least another 5-6 should be worried too.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So I'll have a reason this year to do all 20+ tourney brackets on Wednesday night of tourney week. Haha..

I keep seeing Kansas, Villanova, Arizona as 3 programs people keep discussing but sounds like at least another 5-6 should be worried too.

I would be surprise to see Villanova in this since they usually don't go out those type of recruits that would be involved in this kind of situation.

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would be surprise to see Villanova in this since they usually don't go out those type of recruits that would be involved in this kind of situation.

Sometimes the best way to hide is in plain sight. Not directed at Jay Wright/Villanova but nothing will surprise me anymore about college hoops. 

Archived