Poor Attendance 👎🏻

Danomatic

I would be curious to hear from a current student. They are the ones not showing up. It’s really sad. When my sister was at IU in the 90s, the tickets were in such high demand, they didn’t even get tickets to every game. When I was in school, in the lean Crean years, every other game was in the balcony. Now they have general admission seating and don’t even show up. 

9 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Is it just me, or does attendance seem to be at an all time low? I can’t remember seeing so many empty seats! 

I have seen that too,but not to many people are going to go see A game against Illinois with a start time of almost 9 pm on Wednesday night,some have to travel more than an hour or so to get to game.

7 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I would be curios to hear from a current student. They are the ones not showing up. It’s really sad. When my sister was at IU in the 90s, the tickets were in such high demand, they didn’t even get tickets to every game. When I was in school, in the lean Crean years, every other game was in the balcony. Now they have general admission seating and don’t even show up. 

We have to be careful. When I brought attendance up earlier this year some kid came along and made up an excuse that it was a Monday night game and students have classes.....haha. Mind you it was the 2nd week of January. Classes barely started.

When I was at IU we I received 6,4,4, and 6 tickets for my 4 years. Never missed one. Wouldn't think of it. 

Having a winning team will cure the attendance problem.    It is sad that it's so empty though.  I don't ever remember even in our bad years it being this poor.  I love Assembly Hall but sometimes I think maybe we should have just built a new place with better viewing for all.  I know I would rather watch on TV than in that balcony.

Go Hoosiers!!!

As you can see, the balcony on that side had about 2 people up there. Opposite balcony was 1/3 to 1/2 full. 

Time to cut back on student tickets. It was actually embarrassing to see the crowd last night. 

“Winning cures everything” is maybe true. But this isn’t the 2009 Crean team. We could/should have won 10 of our last 12 games. And did win 7 of them. This is pure garbage from a student fan standpoint. I don’t know how tickets are distributed these days, but it needs to change. Reward loyal fans. 

We all hoped maybe Romeo would come last night. I’m sure glad he didn’t. 

13 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

What did the student section look like 5 minutes into the game?  Students always show up late, especially for a late Wednesday game against a terrible team like Illinois.  People complain about this every year.

Of course some more showed up, but the picture was still fairly similar because I remember thinking I should take another for comparison, but didn’t because it wasn’t that much different. 

It was really bad. 

Earlier in the season, a friend invited me to go with him and his boys to either a Pacers game or an IU game.  The feedback he gave me when he went online was that the IU tickets were like 5-6X what similar Pacers seats were going for. Pacers tickets were like $25-30 and the IU tickets were way over $100?!!  I didn't look for myself or question him, but if IU tickets are that expensive, it might explain why there are so many empty seats.

I think we can finally eliminate the excuse that a 7 p.m. tipoff is too early to expect people to show up on time, right?

I've been saying this for awhile, but when your program is perpetually rebuilding and chasing its glory days, and you've gone through four different coaches spanning nearly two decades trying to make that happen, eventually people just give up and move on. This is just another one of the consequences.

I do agree that student tickets need to be cut back, big time.

So how are student tickets done these days?  When I was there in the 80's we had to camp overnight together to get about half the games.  We got to pick which game we wanted the best seats.  The rest were a mix of balcony and main level.   We always got all the games because we had student friends that didn't want to go and we had them get the other games for us.  Tickets were cheap but it was a chore to get them especially if you wanted to sit with your friends.  

It seems like it must not be hard for students to get them if they don't care enough to go.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

31 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Earlier in the season, a friend invited me to go with him and his boys to either a Pacers game or an IU game.  The feedback he gave me when he went online was that the IU tickets were like 5-6X what similar Pacers seats were going for. Pacers tickets were like $25-30 and the IU tickets were way over $100?!!  I didn't look for myself or question him, but if IU tickets are that expensive, it might explain why there are so many empty seats.

For the NW game I bought two tickets and the total cost was $170.00 and they were row 32 section F

14 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

So how are student tickets done these days?  When I was there in the 80's we had to camp overnight together to get about half the games.  We got to pick which game we wanted the best seats.  The rest were a mix of balcony and main level.   We always got all the games because we had student friends that didn't want to go and we had them get the other games for us.  Tickets were cheap but it was a chore to get them especially if you wanted to sit with your friends.  

It seems like it must not be hard for students to get them if they don't care enough to go.  

Go HooLandsiers!!!

Last year my daughter got season tickets and she got around 8 games and she did not get to pick which games she attended. Each time they were in a different section and I think one time she go general admission tickets for seats behind the goal.  Also to get basketball tickets you had to get football tickets as well.

36 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Nope, those are empty student seats. They aren't anything close to that price. 

36 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Not for the students though.

3 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

According to the IU website, this package includes 16 home games.

http://iuhoosiers.com/sports/2015/6/23/tickets.aspx

I never got anywhere close to that from 2012-2017, and no one else I knew did either.  Says that “the quantity is subject to change depending on the number of tickets purchased,” so I would bet the website is overstating things to entice people to buy.

Archived