Chances we pass PSU for 6th in the B1G

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

The dream is dead for the double bye, as Michigan takes down Ohio State.

There is still a road to the 5 seed. It requires us to win out and Nebraska to lose out, and Penn State to drop one.

Illinois (H) over Nebraska (A)

Purdue (H) over Penn State (A) OR Michigan (A) over Penn State (H)

Indiana (A) over Nebraska (H)

Indiana (H) over Ohio State (A)

Penn State (A) over Nebraska (H)

Illinois gets it done. 

3 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Illinois gets it done. 

If we can hold up our end of the bargain by winning out, I think that 5 seed is ours.

5 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Illinois gets it done. 

Purdue serves their purpose. 

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Purdue serves their purpose. 

How do they determine the tiebreaker if IU, Nebraska, and Michigan all finish 11-7?  We would have the win over Nebraska, but Michigan would have the win over us, and Nebraska would have the win over Michigan.

7 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

How do they determine the tiebreaker if IU, Nebraska, and Michigan all finish 11-7?  We would have the win over Nebraska, but Michigan would have the win over us, and Nebraska would have the win over Michigan.

I think the next tie breaker is the record of those teams against the teams that finished ahead of them in the standings. 

8 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Only way for that to happen is for Penn State to also finish 11-7, making it a 4 way tie. Based on games between all four opponents, Penn State is 4th, we are 5th, Michigan 6th, Nebraska 7th. 

9 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Useful link for seeding scenarios: http://btn.com/2018/02/20/btnstatsguys-big-ten-tourney-seed-scenarios-entering-tuesday-night/

We can end up anywhere from 5-7. That means our first opponent in the BTT will be one of the following:

Northwestern

Wisconsin

Illinois

Minnesota

Iowa

Rutgers

And our second opponent will not be MSU. 

7 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Ohio State is now likely to be our second opponent in the tournament, should we get that far. We beat them on Friday, we are probably the 6 and they are the 3. We lose to them, we are likely the 7 and they the 2. Not one hundred percent but these are the two most likely outcomes. 

I don't mind that match up in tourney one bit. 

20 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Useful link for seeding scenarios: http://btn.com/2018/02/20/btnstatsguys-big-ten-tourney-seed-scenarios-entering-tuesday-night/

We can end up anywhere from 5-7. That means our first opponent in the BTT will be one of the following:

Northwestern

Wisconsin

Illinois

Minnesota

Iowa

Rutgers

We have a good chance against any of those teams. Be nice to get a tourney win (or more). Seems like they have been few and far between.

With PSU loss we are back at 6 seed for the moment. They finish at Nebraska and we, of course, finish with OSU at home. Stay as the 6 and we may well meet OSU again on Friday assuming we dispense with Illinois/Rutgers winner. Finish in 7 and we get Wisconsin and then Purdue if we can handle Wisky. 
All based on if the BTT seedings were established as things stand today. I'm sure they won't but fun to consider anyway.

3 hours ago, eddy4iu said:

With PSU loss we are back at 6 seed for the moment. They finish at Nebraska and we, of course, finish with OSU at home. Stay as the 6 and we may well meet OSU again on Friday assuming we dispense with Illinois/Rutgers winner. Finish in 7 and we get Wisconsin and then Purdue if we can handle Wisky. 
All based on if the BTT seedings were established as things stand today. I'm sure they won't but fun to consider anyway.

I hate to wish for a lower seed, but man...would I love to see IU get another shot at Wisconsin and Purdue...

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I hate to wish for a lower seed, but man...would I love to see IU get another shot at Wisconsin and Purdue...

In my opinion there is a decent chance that Wisconsin won't be the 10 seed.  If they pull off a win at Northwestern tonight, which is not out of the question, they jump over NU to the 9 and NU would be the opponent for the 7 seed on Thursday in the BTT.

Several seeds were locked up last night:

image.png.a505ab7598aa862dddfd014526389d8d.png

No chance of us playing Maryland or Wisconsin until the championship game. If we lose tonight and Penn State beats Nebraska, we will play Northwestern on Thursday 3/1 at 6:30pm ET. If we win tonight or Penn State loses to Nebraska, we will play the winner of Minnesota vs Iowa/Rutgers/Illinois on Thursday 3/1 at 9pm ET.

On 2/22/2018 at 7:36 AM, BGleas said:

Sounds crazy, but I’d really like to avoid Illinois in the BTT. With the pressure they apply defensively and our guard propensity for just handing the ball to the other team, that’s a matchup I don’t like. 

Silver lining.....how effective will Illinois' press be on no days rest? 

Archived