Isaiah Stewart Commits to Washington

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah...coach Cal is so close to Archie that he visited an IU prospect and invited him to visit pUKe the same weekend he was scheduled to visit IU.

I predict this "friendship" will go the same direction that the Crean-Calipari friendship went.

Assuming you are talking about Stewart, he was never scheduled to visit IU.

On 9/25/2018 at 10:34 PM, dgambill said:

Not sure but to me that just told me that about 30 guys have gone to the NBA and I’m sure it’s more than that. We all know scout ratings mean little in how guys will do in college much less the NBA. Basically if you are a top recruit he will make sure you get to the NBA if you buy into the program he is running. Those guys don’t care where they get drafted. It’s your second contract and beyond where you get mega money not rookie deals. It’s about how fast you can get drafted more than how high. It’s a race to that second contract. The only track record with Cal that doesn’t live up to the hype is that Cal has the same number of Championships as Tubby Smith. To me if I’m a recruit you just made Cals case about doing what’s best for me and getting me drafted and to the league. Being an NBA all star is not easy...it’s mostly the same guys over and over since it’s mostly a fan vote. Devin Booker is a star and Jamal Murray is well on his way too. Clearly Anthony Davis is probably the Top 5 player in the league if not right after Durant and Lebron. Looking at Knox he was drafted higher than his ranking and SGA went way higher but again they went pro as freshman and that is what matters to them. I understand that Cal is a salesman...and sleezy but these kids love what he is selling for sure...it may not make sense to us but it’s a winning formula for getting recruits that is for sure.

Just under half of those guys lost the race to a 2nd contact by not even getting one and being out of the league.

Would Booker, Murray and Davis being in a different place if they went somewhere else than fUK? 

I understand what Cal is selling and what the kids are buying. Even if they're not getting paid in some form (which I doubt), the players dorm is incredible and they have to let a few lucky non-basketball players live there to skirt an NCAA violation, the fact that so many players in the NBA went there already and they can join that fraternity, fUK fanbase may be ridiculous idiots for the most part but you can't question their passion (I think I puke a bit typing that), and other factors play into recruits choosing to play there.

The basis of my post was in response to DailyHoosier stating (and I agree) that Cal's record of getting players to the NBA is a bit misleading.

On 9/26/2018 at 8:46 PM, FKIM01 said:

I was responding to the portion in bold:

Do you trust Cal to keep my stock high

I'm not questioning that kids in his program get to the NBA.  I think it's fair to question whether or not their stock is at least maintained.  There are lots of examples where players slid in the draft.  Skal Labissiere, the Harrison twins and the most memorable one, Nerlens Noel.  IIRC, he was supposed to go #1 and slid to #6. "Well, that's still a lotto pick!" you say and yes, it is.  At the same time, if you watched that draft, you could see how visibly disappointed Noel was as each pick was announced.  I think it's fair to say that maybe a player can trust Cal to keep their draft stock high...

...and maybe not.

Each case is different. Noel has a serious injury that effected most of his freshman year and obviously his stock. Depending on what a team needs a player may rise or fall...or perhaps his agent lied to him and told him he was going to go earlier based on convos with teams. Cals ability to coach or improve a player may not be as good as others...but he has positioned himself and his school as a golden ticket if you will to the NBA if you do what he says. I hear a lot being down here...his post game shows pregame his speeches...while I can’t stand the entitled fans down here and I do think that Cal is pretty sleezy he also preaches hard work, defense, playing for each other and gets 5 stars to be unselfish and work together as a team. I watch every year his teams get better from day 1 to the tournament. They improve. I also see how he uses the NBA to sell the program. He texts his guys every day and they come back and stay in touch with the program. His NBA connections are strong...he seems to keep his current players informed throughout their time at UK where they stand. Sure there are some that came in and didn’t want to work to earn their position see Skal. There has been some guys that didn’t perform up to the level their rankings hyped them...but kids get where they want to go when they go to UK. It’s more than just Cal as well...UK is the winningest program there is. It has a cool edgy image and kids are drawn to it. It’s annoying because it has been built in decades of cheating and lying but honor, hard work, and a tradition of playing the right way doesn’t resignate with this generation. So playing for Cal as long as he gets me what I want is not even a concern for this generation.

12 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah...coach Cal is so close to Archie that he visited an IU prospect and invited him to visit pUKe the same weekend he was scheduled to visit IU.

I predict this "friendship" will go the same direction that the Crean-Calipari friendship went.

Cal has been linked to the Miller family a long way back. I very much doubt however anything would get in the way of Cal getting a guy he wants though. That said perhaps it’s more concerning that Archie and Sean may share and take after Cal seeing the closeness of the relationship going back to growing up in the same area. I’m not implying but given the connections they share and the nice things Cal has said about Archie when he got the position maybe the more we tear down Cal the more we should worry how close their relationship is and the values they may share.

It’s not possible, but I wish we could just ban the UK talk. Basketball is ridiculously shady. Stands to reason that the better you are at doing shady stuff the better your results will be. Cal, Self, Izzo, Sean Miller, slick rick, coach k, Roy, Larry brown. I mean cal is amazing at what he does. It’s undeniable really. Just comes off bitter complaining. Not taking any shots at any posters here at all. Honestly. I can understand the strong dislike among some of these coaches.. Just the reality that I see here and personally I accept the rules that we play by and it doesn’t bother me anymore. 

Is Jay Wright clean? We’ll find out. I mean Barnes is crushing it again at Tennessee. We all know how good pearl is. ****ing shady shady **** the NCAA is....personally I always liked Sampson but that’s just me accepting the rules of the game.

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

Each case is different. Noel has a serious injury that effected most of his freshman year and obviously his stock. Depending on what a team needs a player may rise or fall...or perhaps his agent lied to him and told him he was going to go earlier based on convos with teams. Cals ability to coach or improve a player may not be as good as others...but he has positioned himself and his school as a golden ticket if you will to the NBA if you do what he says. I hear a lot being down here...his post game shows pregame his speeches...while I can’t stand the entitled fans down here and I do think that Cal is pretty sleezy he also preaches hard work, defense, playing for each other and gets 5 stars to be unselfish and work together as a team. I watch every year his teams get better from day 1 to the tournament. They improve. I also see how he uses the NBA to sell the program. He texts his guys every day and they come back and stay in touch with the program. His NBA connections are strong...he seems to keep his current players informed throughout their time at UK where they stand. Sure there are some that came in and didn’t want to work to earn their position see Skal. There has been some guys that didn’t perform up to the level their rankings hyped them...but kids get where they want to go when they go to UK. It’s more than just Cal as well...UK is the winningest program there is. It has a cool edgy image and kids are drawn to it. It’s annoying because it has been built in decades of cheating and lying but honor, hard work, and a tradition of playing the right way doesn’t resignate with this generation. So playing for Cal as long as he gets me what I want is not even a concern for this generation.

Noel was still post-injury at the top of the boards.  Don't ask me...look at the kid's face.  Going 6th was a huge disappointment.  It was even rumored that he had a Cleveland logo sewn into the other side of his jacket.  Also not buying Skal's slide being due to not working.  IT was obvious early on that Skal had a confidence issue and whatever Cal was doing wasn't helping that.  He likely could have worked harder and helped, but that was far from his biggest issue.

I'm not saying that Cal can't sell his program.  That much is obvious.  What I am saying is that when it comes down to substance, he does nothing special to elevate these kids for the NBA draft and while there are times I've felt like Cal's salesmanship had helped a kid get drafted higher than he should, I've seen plenty of examples of kids who slid below expectations and/or flamed out early once they got to the NBA.

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Noel was still post-injury at the top of the boards.  Don't ask me...look at the kid's face.  Going 6th was a huge disappointment.  It was even rumored that he had a Cleveland logo sewn into the other side of his jacket.  Also not buying Skal's slide being due to not working.  IT was obvious early on that Skal had a confidence issue and whatever Cal was doing wasn't helping that.  He likely could have worked harder and helped, but that was far from his biggest issue.

I'm not saying that Cal can't sell his program.  That much is obvious.  What I am saying is that when it comes down to substance, he does nothing special to elevate these kids for the NBA draft and while there are times I've felt like Cal's salesmanship had helped a kid get drafted higher than he should, I've seen plenty of examples of kids who slid below expectations and/or flamed out early once they got to the NBA.

You’re absolutely right about Cal being ineffective at using bigs. Grew up in Evansville. Got 4 really close UK fans being on the border. It’s kind of to the point now where it’s just basketball to us now that we’re older and most of the banter is gone. It’s an extreme frustration for them that cal can’t figure out what to do with maximizing his bigs talent. 

22 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

It’s not possible, but I wish we could just ban the UK talk. Basketball is ridiculously shady. Stands to reason that the better you are at doing shady stuff the better your results will be. Cal, Self, Izzo, Sean Miller, slick rick, coach k, Roy, Larry brown. I mean cal is amazing at what he does. It’s undeniable really. Just comes off bitter complaining. Not taking any shots at any posters here at all. Honestly. I can understand the strong dislike among some of these coaches.. Just the reality that I see here and personally I accept the rules that we play by and it doesn’t bother me anymore. 

Is Jay Wright clean? We’ll find out. I mean Barnes is crushing it again at Tennessee. We all know how good pearl is. ****ing shady shady **** the NCAA is....personally I always liked Sampson but that’s just me accepting the rules of the game.

Yeah I’m done with it...makes me sick to even say anything good about UK and Cal anyways. I just think most things aren’t so black and white...everyone else bad we good. Anyways UK is on Stewart now...I think his recruitment is very complicated at best. Cal doesn’t recruit to steal guys or hurt others...he missed out on his other targets and now he has moved on to his next target. It was up hill already to get over Villanova, MSU, and Duke and now UK. Outcome looks unlikely at best for us.

58 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah I’m done with it...makes me sick to even say anything good about UK and Cal anyways. I just think most things aren’t so black and white...everyone else bad we good. Anyways UK is on Stewart now...I think his recruitment is very complicated at best. Cal doesn’t recruit to steal guys or hurt others...he missed out on his other targets and now he has moved on to his next target. It was up hill already to get over Villanova, MSU, and Duke and now UK. Outcome looks unlikely at best for us.

For sure. We’re on the same page. I like this place. Lots of reasonable people. We’ve got a lot of work to do and we’re getting it done. We’re ahead of schedule I think. Lock up Brooks and that’s a big big win. 

9 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

For sure. We’re on the same page. I like this place. Lots of reasonable people. We’ve got a lot of work to do and we’re getting it done. We’re ahead of schedule I think. Lock up Brooks and that’s a big big win. 

I think Stewart has always been a long shot and more a plan B and a good way to pressure Trayce into making a decision. Fact that high level kids are still interested at this point have to at least put a bug in the kids head. If we land Brooks too...wow best I could have hoped for.  Trayce, KBJ, and Franklin That’s a nasty trio right there and following up last year!...look out B1G Archie Miller has arrived!

Kentucky is just an enigma to me.  If I am a 5* why would I want to go to school with 4 other 5*'s on the floor?  You get into that fish in a pond type thing.  I think some players are taking notice of this.  Ben Simmons comes to mind as does the kid that went to Washington.  You don't have to go to UK to get noticed.  

Just now, rico said:

Kentucky is just an enigma to me.  If I am a 5* why would I want to go to school with 4 other 5*'s on the floor?  You get into that fish in a pond type thing.  I think some players are taking notice of this.  Ben Simmons comes to mind as does the kid that went to Washington.  You don't have to go to UK to get noticed.  

He went to LSU.

1 hour ago, rico said:

You can win if you go to UK. Simmons admitted he goofed by going to LSU. 

2 hours ago, rico said:

They want to play with other talented players. They're only there for a year so they might as well have fun.  Besides, they see that's how the pros do it.  Why would Kevin Durant want to play with Curry, Klay, and Draymond Green.

Archived