Isaiah Stewart Commits to Washington

CauseThatsMyDJ

3 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Poor Sparty

Yep. Until Izzo answers to what he knew or didn't know about the sex scandal up there....he's way down on the list again. He's the one who told us he'll comment on it later. Well to quote the greatest Judge of all time...we're waiting!!

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, southsidehoosier said:

Carey to Duke

Man, the folks in KY are certainly depressed.  Not because they thought they had a shot, but because Duke has replaced them as the place to be if you're thinking OAD.  Their team isn't living up to their expectations and neither is their coach when it comes to recruiting.  It couldn't happen to a more deserving group.  😁

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

Man, the folks in KY are certainly depressed.  Not because they thought they had a shot, but because Duke has replaced them as the place to be if you're thinking OAD.  Their team isn't living up to their expectations and neither is their coach when it comes to recruiting.  It couldn't happen to a more deserving group.  😁

Does K coach until he dies?  He is 71 at this point and there has not been any indications out there for a while that he plans on retiring that I have heard.  You gotta think the if the over/under is 4 years, you take under with him walking away, but? I say this only because when does this start to catch up with his recruiting, where the question mark is there that can be exploited by opposing coaches.

5 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Does K coach until he dies?  He is 71 at this point and there has not been any indications out there for a while that he plans on retiring that I have heard.  You gotta think the if the over/under is 4 years, you take under with him walking away, but? I say this only because when does this start to catch up with his recruiting, where the question mark is there that can be exploited by opposing coaches.

Good point, but this is where the OAD is perfect for K. Instead of, will he be there in 4 years, it's I'll be there next year. He's just better at the game, and higher on the Nike totem pole than Cal.

52 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Good point, but this is where the OAD is perfect for K. Instead of, will he be there in 4 years, it's I'll be there next year. He's just better at the game, and higher on the Nike totem pole than Cal.

Higher on the NIke totem pole is key here. Nike $ used to get players to fUK. Once Coach K went all in on OAD, Nike shifted those $ his way.

5 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Higher on the NIke totem pole is key here. Nike $ used to get players to fUK. Once Coach K went all in on OAD, Nike shifted those $ his way.

Really?? Is the FBI aware of this?  :)

I am thinking he has thereputation to recruit the best of the best without money. Those are some damning allegations you just made.

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

Really?? Is the FBI aware of this?  :)

I am thinking he has thereputation to recruit the best of the best without money. Those are some damning allegations you just made.

His reputation as a hall of fame coach is consistent. His desire to play the recruiting game seems to wax and wane. I've seen charts on annual recruiting rankings and it seems to support this theory. Duke had been flaming out in the tournament more often until they went out and got Okafor and Tyus Jones. K seemed to like whatever recruiting "adaptation" he made, and appears to be sticking with it to Cal's detriment. I certainly enjoy it, since we don't seem to be battling for the same recruits. 

16 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

His reputation as a hall of fame coach is consistent. His desire to play the recruiting game seems to wax and wane. I've seen charts on annual recruiting rankings and it seems to support this theory. Duke had been flaming out in the tournament more often until they went out and got Okafor and Tyus Jones. K seemed to like whatever recruiting "adaptation" he made, and appears to be sticking with it to Cal's detriment. I certainly enjoy it, since we don't seem to be battling for the same recruits. 

Or to quote one post on rupprafters..."HEY CAL! I thought WE ate first!".  LOL. 😝😁

3 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

That came to mind as I was typing it, but every year there are those OAD that something happens to and they end up having to stay.  If I am a OAD, I still look at college as a four year deal just in case something doesn't work out.

5 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

That came to mind as I was typing it, but every year there are those OAD that something happens to and they end up having to stay.  If I am a OAD, I still look at college as a four year deal just in case something doesn't work out.

IUScott figured out how to hack other's accounts.   😂

17 hours ago, cybergates said:

I think the USA basketball thing is where there was a paradigm shift with Coach K. Once kids saw him working with NBA guys and them singing his praises and the publicity that drew to his coaching style, ability to handle elite athletes, and also change caused him to adapt as a coach to a more NBA style offense and expand his views on his approach to players and the game it was really all it took. Nike immediately says K is willing to play the game we play...he is synonymous with USA basketball, elite basketball etc, now it was time to start funneling players to him. With this transition Duke players became less system players and K opened up how he played and focused on playing to these individuals and it became attractive for everyone. That said he still hasn't really had any greater success with OAD then before. Sure he has won a championship but let's be honest...he was getting to FF with his old system too. I just think K is a better coach then Cal and can do just a bit more with these freshman than Cal. But you are right...he is at the top of college basketball and it drives these entitled Kentucky fans crazy.....they hate it down here. To me...they deserve it....and Cal had his window and he left a couple titles on the table imo. Now that kids are figuring out they can get to the NBA quickly at different Universities...and get the same shoe money elsewhere...Cal has to work harder. He has a lot of talent honestly...let's see if he achieves anything with it.

Cal is a not a terrible coach but he's not an elite coach. He's been more of an elite recruiter. He's competent at teaching a system. He also does well managing egos. But he's a poor in game coach. And he needs stellar recruiting to succeed. He's not a guy who could develop a 3 star or 4 star player. The fact he's no longer getting the best of best recruits makes it harder for him. Other coaches could win championships with the talent he's still able to get.

2 hours ago, HoosierMatty said:

Cal is a not a terrible coach but he's not an elite coach. He's been more of an elite recruiter. He's competent at teaching a system. He also does well managing egos. But he's a poor in game coach. And he needs stellar recruiting to succeed. He's not a guy who could develop a 3 star or 4 star player. The fact he's no longer getting the best of best recruits makes it harder for him. Other coaches could win championships with the talent he's still able to get.

Said the best possible way!

2 hours ago, HoosierMatty said:

Look, I despise Cal and everything he stands for. But I think we let the hatred cloud our view of him as a coach.

He won 73% of his games at UMASS, including 5 conference titles.

He won 76% of his games at Memphis, including 6 conference titles.

And has won 77% of his games at UK.

He has been consistent at three levels in the college game. He may not be the best of game coaches. But he, in my opinion, can coach at a high level.

This hurts to type. But it is what it is.

15 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Look, I despise Cal and everything he stands for. But I think we let the hatred cloud our view of him as a coach.

He has been consistent at three levels in the college game. He may not be the best of game coaches. But he, in my opinion, can coach at a high level.

Blue has a man crush!  Blue has a man crush!

image.jpeg.970f0ff59f9c6e02e760a7086569210b.jpeg

One could argue that the conferences he has coached within aren't exactly known for being great basketball conferences, IMHO.  They are Conference USA, A10, SEC.  Love to see him in the B1G, ACC, Big 12, even the new Big East...and see how he performs.  The SEC is a football conference, as we all know.  I'm not saying he's a bad coach...just not a great one, IMHO.   😁

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think the USA basketball thing is where there was a paradigm shift with Coach K. Once kids saw him working with NBA guys and them singing his praises and the publicity that drew to his coaching style, ability to handle elite athletes, and also change caused him to adapt as a coach to a more NBA style offense and expand his views on his approach to players and the game it was really all it took. Nike immediately says K is willing to play the game we play...he is synonymous with USA basketball, elite basketball etc, now it was time to start funneling players to him. With this transition Duke players became less system players and K opened up how he played and focused on playing to these individuals and it became attractive for everyone. That said he still hasn't really had any greater success with OAD then before. Sure he has won a championship but let's be honest...he was getting to FF with his old system too. I just think K is a better coach then Cal and can do just a bit more with these freshman than Cal. But you are right...he is at the top of college basketball and it drives these entitled Kentucky fans crazy.....they hate it down here. To me...they deserve it....and Cal had his window and he left a couple titles on the table imo. Now that kids are figuring out they can get to the NBA quickly at different Universities...and get the same shoe money elsewhere...Cal has to work harder. He has a lot of talent honestly...let's see if he achieves anything with it.

This is a good take on your part, and certainly plays a role.  I did look up the recruiting rankings just for reference.  Keep in mind, coach K has also been the Olympic coach, and affiliated with USA basketball for many years, but took over coaching in 2013.  Just saying, something dramatic changes in 2014.

Rankings are 247 composite(tourney):

2018- 1

2017- 2  (2nd Rd)

2016- 1  (Sweet16)

2015- 2  (N.C.)

2014- 1  (1st rd loss to Mercer)

2013- 9  (elite8)

2012- 41  (1st rd loss to Lehigh)

2011- 2  (Sweet16)

2010- 16  (N.C.)

2009- 20  (Sweet16)

2008- 14  (2nd rd)

6 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I think you 2 are saying the same thing, you just have numbers to back him up. :coffee:

6 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Maybe, but with a top 2-3 recruiting class every year for the last 10 years and only one title, vastly underachieving in my book. 

Archived