Isaiah Stewart Commits to Washington

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Any follow up on his impressions of the visit? IF ND and MSU are our main competitors, I like our chances and we should know more in the next week.

What a crazy feeling that I sort of don't want a commit from a 5* 8th ranked player. He's a beast and we obviously take his commitment if given, but then we likely miss out on TJD or KBJ because of it I would assume. Great position to be in but just feels so damn weird. 

Crystal ball (FWIW) shows Duke at 82%, Texas 9% and Nova 9%. So I don't think ND and MSU are our main/only competitors.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.flohoops.com/articles/6213937-isaiah-stewart-spills-on-recruiting-sets-peach-jam-team-usa-goals

He took unofficial visits to three of those schools before the USA Basketball training camp and broke down the three visits.

image.png.0146e96d9c20c80484e3b24378bd4b22.png

Stewart expects many of the coaches recruiting him to be in Argentina, assuming he makes the final cut. He has no other visits planned at the moment. "I'll probably wait until after Peach Jam," he said. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Kentucky supposedly jumping in. 

Of course...

I'm wondering when these kids figure out that he's offering nothing but hype. Top 20 players go there for a year and get drafted...just like they could at 40 other programs.  Frankly, Tom Crean has a better track record when it comes to pro development  Show me kids whose draft stock was improved...I just don't see it.  Instead, I see kids like Skal Labissiere who was projected at # 1 or #2, and if anything, went backwards at UK and barely stayed in the first round.  Nerlens Noel was another projected #1 who slid less, but still ended up at #6 behind two IU players.  Tyler Ulis was projected by some as a lottery pick but ended up early in the second round and after two seasons, is in danger of washing out of the league.  On the other side Yogi Ferrell went undrafted and is under contract with the Dallas Mavericks and Troy Williams similarly undrafted is under contract with the Knicks.

Looking back at Cal's first round draft picks, for every John Wall and Anthony Davis, there are plenty of unsuccessful NBA careers.  Marquis Teague drafted late in the first round lasted a couple of seasons and washed out.  Daniel Orton, late first round...lasted three seasons and washed out.  Terrence Jones drafted at 18 lasted five seasons and washed out, Archie Goodwin drafted late in the first round lasted four seasons and washed out, Nerlens Noel (#6) lasted five season and washed out, James Young (#17) lasted four seasons and washed out, Trey Lyles (#12) has been...underwhelming, and looks like a candidate for a washout after three seasons.

There are plenty of examples of players who have gone on to be successful in the NBA, but for the most part, they were projected lottery picks when they went to Kentucky.  I looked for UK players drafted in the second round under Cal to see if I cold find some success stories and really didn't see much.  Andrew Harrison (remember the Harrison twins?) might qualify as a second round success story, but he's also an example of a player who was expected to go much higher.

Bottom line is, I don't see any special development ability under coach Cal.  He's coached a lot of kids who were expected to be NBA all-stars and many have performed as expected, with several washing out or in danger of washing out and very few I can point to as outperforming expectations.  If you want to be drafted, Kentucky can get you drafted perhaps a little more often than many competing schools.  If you want to stick in the NBA and be successful, Cal's record vs. expectations is nothing special at all.

29 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Of course...

I'm wondering when these kids figure out that he's offering nothing but hype. Top 20 players go there for a year and get drafted...just like they could at 40 other programs.  Frankly, Tom Crean has a better track record when it comes to pro development  Show me kids whose draft stock was improved...I just don't see it.  Instead, I see kids like Skal Labissiere who was projected at # 1 or #2, and if anything, went backwards at UK and barely stayed in the first round.  Nerlens Noel was another projected #1 who slid less, but still ended up at #6 behind two IU players.  Tyler Ulis was projected by some as a lottery pick but ended up early in the second round and after two seasons, is in danger of washing out of the league.  On the other side Yogi Ferrell went undrafted and is under contract with the Dallas Mavericks and Troy Williams similarly undrafted is under contract with the Knicks.

Looking back at Cal's first round draft picks, for every John Wall and Anthony Davis, there are plenty of unsuccessful NBA careers.  Marquis Teague drafted late in the first round lasted a couple of seasons and washed out.  Daniel Orton, late first round...lasted three seasons and washed out.  Terrence Jones drafted at 18 lasted five seasons and washed out, Archie Goodwin drafted late in the first round lasted four seasons and washed out, Nerlens Noel (#6) lasted five season and washed out, James Young (#17) lasted four seasons and washed out, Trey Lyles (#12) has been...underwhelming, and looks like a candidate for a washout after three seasons.

There are plenty of examples of players who have gone on to be successful in the NBA, but for the most part, they were projected lottery picks when they went to Kentucky.  I looked for UK players drafted in the second round under Cal to see if I cold find some success stories and really didn't see much.  Andrew Harrison (remember the Harrison twins?) might qualify as a second round success story, but he's also an example of a player who was expected to go much higher.

Bottom line is, I don't see any special development ability under coach Cal.  He's coached a lot of kids who were expected to be NBA all-stars and many have performed as expected, with several washing out or in danger of washing out and very few I can point to as outperforming expectations.  If you want to be drafted, Kentucky can get you drafted perhaps a little more often than many competing schools.  If you want to stick in the NBA and be successful, Cal's record vs. expectations is nothing special at all.

They can offer winning.

2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2017 elite 8's under Cal.

Final fours, a national title, NBA MVP candidates, and NBA contracts worth billions.

That's hard to turn down if you're a top 10 player. I don't think I could even if I was leaning elsewhere. 

31 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Of course...

This is very true and it has nothing to do with me not liking Kensucky. I've heard some players say that the program is attractive because it is ran like an NBA team and helps prepare them that way. 

Cal cant develop kids worth a Sh** instead he sells them on the program being ran like an NBA franchise and the fact that you can come there and average 10 points and get drafted in his own words "everybody eats". But hey it works so can't fault him there. I'd rather have a bill Self or Archie Miller than a Cal or coach K though. I like the old coach K not the new one he has become the last 5 years. I know some Duke fans that have been very un happy with him in recent years. Obviously Archie had a ways to go to get in the category with these guys but I've never been more confident in the direction of the program. He reminds me some of Bill Self. 

8 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

They can offer winning.

Final fours, a national title, NBA MVP candidates, and NBA contracts worth billions.

That's hard to turn down if you're a top 10 player. I don't think I could even if I was leaning elsewhere. 

I get the winning part.  He's had the ability to assemble super team rosters and has had success (as he should).  Everything you've said could be replicated at another school with perhaps a better development and success record.  I'm just wondering when these kids see that.  To some degree, they already are with the migration of top players to Duke.  Some things I've seen out of coach K recently have caused me to lose some respect for him, but I'd still place him head and shoulders above Cal when it comes to teaching and development. 

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I get the winning part.  He's had the ability to assemble super team rosters and has had success (as he should).  Everything you've said could be replicated at another school with perhaps a better development and success record.  I'm just wondering when these kids see that.  To some degree, they already are with the migration of top players to Duke.  Some things I've seen out of coach K recently have caused me to lose some respect for him, but I'd still place him head and shoulders above Cal when it comes to teaching and development. 

I actually liked your post because it's true. You're a realist and I'd like to think that I am too so for me personally I can't hate on Cal. He plays the Sleazy Game and does it well. If there's room for exploitation then people will exploit it. simple as that for me. I'm enjoying watching Izzo and Kryz trying to emulate him and failing. It's just part of the natural progression. We'll see if Cal responds on the recruiting front now that coach K lost his bag man. We'll see what coach K does with this super roster. The next 5 years will be interesting.

1 hour ago, ADegenerate said:

They can offer winning.

And how many titles (when he’s had the top talent or one of every year)?? Oh, you said “a” as in 1. 

4 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

And how many titles (when he’s had the top talent or one of every year)??

1 but should have 2-3. I’m not trying to pigeonhole myself here as the Cal fanboy btw. I just respect what he’s done. He’s thrown coach K for a loop and that’s a big win for me. I can’t stand that guy.

1 minute ago, ADegenerate said:

1 but should have 2-3. I’m not trying to pigeonhole myself here as the Cal fanboy btw. I just respect what he’s done. He’s thrown coach K for a loop and that’s a big win for me. I can’t stand that guy.

I’m not trying to give you grief. Just hate Cal and UK with a passion. SHOULD HAVE is part of the equation. He’s a lousy coach in my book. There’s a number of coaches IMO that would have gotten way more out of those teams. 10+ years with #1 recruiting classes and rosters full of 5 star guys every year. I’m not completely convinced that he’s clean. He’ll have another opportunity next year to underachieve. Can’t wait to see it. 

Archived