Isaiah Stewart Commits to Washington

CauseThatsMyDJ

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

i expect us to get the 3 we have speculated on for some time. I still feel Stewart is a 50/50. that 3 man class is really impressive a 4th would put it over the top.

That's fine but we've been told for some time that this would be the class to put us back on the map and be the best we've had in decades.  That would be a below average class for Kansas or UNC.  The UK and Duke fanbases would lose their minds if that was their class.

I'm still not sure TJD and Brooks are locks.  Izzo has been on Brooks for a long time and I expect him to put the full court press on both TJD and Brooks if he loses Stewart.  Brooks and Stewart play for the same HS and are supposedly very close. I expect Cal to move hard after Brooks if he lands Stewart.  You know he doesn't want Archie getting any momentum.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cybergates said:

I was going to post something on here along those lines, but an article from you would be much better. Just playing around on basketball-reference due to NBA 2k19 and here's what I had in mind:

Bam Adebayo - HS Rank 8th - NBA Draft 14th

De'Aaron Fox - 6th - 5th

Malik Monk - 9th - 11th

Skal Labissiere - 2nd - 28th

Jamal Murray - 10th - 7th

Tyler Ullis - 18th = 34th

Devin Booker 23rd - 13th

Willie Cauley-Stein 38th - 6th

Andrew Harrison - 5th - 44th

Aaron Harrison - 6th - Undrafted

Alex Poythress - 8th - Undrafted

Dakari Johnson - 9th - 48th

Trey Lyles - 12th - 12th

Karl-Anthony Towns - 5th - 1st

Julius Randle - 2nd - 7th

James Young - 9th -17th

Archie Goodwin 10th - 29th

Nerlens Noel - 1st - 6th

Anthony Davis - 1st - 1st

Terrence Jones 11th - 18th

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist 3rd - 2nd

Doron Lamb - 26th - 42nd

Darius Miller 35th - 46th

Marquis Teague 7th - 29th

Brandon Knight - 4th - 8th

DeAndre Liggins - 34th - 53rd

Eric Bledsoe - 52nd - 18th

DeMarcus Cousins - 3rd - 5th

Daniel Orton 19th - 29th

Patrick Patterson - 10th - 14th

John Wall 2nd- 1st

Three big things that stand out to me:

(1) - Several players dropped considerably. In his defense, he only gets highly rated players so not much of a chance to improve their stock most of the time. The thing that stands out the most to me is how many players are either out of the league or in a non-contributing role after being such high rated HS recruits.

(2) - Only 4 players have become All-Stars: Wall, Cousins, KAT, and AD. All were rated top 5 recruits. Has many more top 10 recruits who have not become All-Stars.

(3) - No NBA champions amongst any of them. Rondo is the only current fUK NBA player with a ring and he predates Cal.

Great work. Don't forget those that were recruited over and transferred.  Marcus Lee, Kyle Wiltjer, and Charles Matthews come to mind off the top of my head. Wouldn't be surprised if Quade Green was next if his playing time at the point is reduced this year as it was at the end of the season last year.  Don't see him playing over Immanuel Quickley.

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

That's fine but we've been told for some time that this would be the class to put us back on the map and be the best we've had in decades.  That would be a below average class for Kansas or UNC.  The UK and Duke fanbases would lose their minds if that was their class.

I'm still not sure TJD and Brooks are locks.  Izzo has been on Brooks for a long time and I expect him to put the full court press on both TJD and Brooks if he loses Stewart.  Brooks and Stewart play for the same HS and are supposedly very close. I expect Cal to move hard after Brooks if he lands Stewart.  You know he doesn't want Archie getting any momentum.

I would take 2 five star players every year. I don't expect us to land the same number of 5 stars as UK or Duke or UNC or Kansas. If we get the top 3 kids each year from this state and sprinkle in an out of state 4 or 5 star we will be competing for Big Titles and Final 4's.  That is the mold I expect us to create. 2020 is the exception with in state talent but most of us will agree that if you get the best the state has to offer we will be more than OK. The 3 man class is all but locked up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The 4th would be icing and I have said since day 1 there is no guarantee RL is a one and done, not because he is not good enough but if certain things fall into place he might want to hang around to try and hang a banner.

4 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

At some point I'm going to have to pull together a story on recruits that went to UK and it didn't work out.  This whole idea that they send guys to the NBA is just lazy.  They were going to the NBA irrespective of where they went to school.  I'd argue that there is a higher risk of getting lost on the bench because so many kids buy in to the BS and go there.  Charles Matthews is just one example.

Skal Labissier, The Harrison twins...I know there are a bunch.  I've said for awhile there's nothing magical about Cal's ability to develop players.  What's magical is the load of BS he's able to sell.

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Skal Labissier, The Harrison twins...I know there are a bunch.  I've said for awhile there's nothing magical about Cal's ability to develop players.  What's magical is the load of BS he's able to sell.

Used car salesman for sure.  Wish there was a Carfax out there for recruits to read on him and Kentucky.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I would take 2 five star players every year. I don't expect us to land the same number of 5 stars as UK or Duke or UNC or Kansas. If we get the top 3 kids each year from this state and sprinkle in an out of state 4 or 5 star we will be competing for Big Titles and Final 4's.  That is the mold I expect us to create. 2020 is the exception with in state talent but most of us will agree that if you get the best the state has to offer we will be more than OK. The 3 man class is all but locked up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The 4th would be icing and I have said since day 1 there is no guarantee RL is a one and done, not because he is not good enough but if certain things fall into place he might want to hang around to try and hang a banner.

That's all fine if we get them.  I just hope the staff has more or less gotten a silent verbal from both.  We saw what happened with Kyrie Irving when you put all eggs into one basket.

8 hours ago, cybergates said:

I was going to post something on here along those lines, but an article from you would be much better. Just playing around on basketball-reference due to NBA 2k19 and here's what I had in mind:

Bam Adebayo - HS Rank 8th - NBA Draft 14th

De'Aaron Fox - 6th - 5th

Malik Monk - 9th - 11th

Skal Labissiere - 2nd - 28th

Jamal Murray - 10th - 7th

Tyler Ullis - 18th = 34th

Devin Booker 23rd - 13th

Willie Cauley-Stein 38th - 6th

Andrew Harrison - 5th - 44th

Aaron Harrison - 6th - Undrafted

Alex Poythress - 8th - Undrafted

Dakari Johnson - 9th - 48th

Trey Lyles - 12th - 12th

Karl-Anthony Towns - 5th - 1st

Julius Randle - 2nd - 7th

James Young - 9th -17th

Archie Goodwin 10th - 29th

Nerlens Noel - 1st - 6th

Anthony Davis - 1st - 1st

Terrence Jones 11th - 18th

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist 3rd - 2nd

Doron Lamb - 26th - 42nd

Darius Miller 35th - 46th

Marquis Teague 7th - 29th

Brandon Knight - 4th - 8th

DeAndre Liggins - 34th - 53rd

Eric Bledsoe - 52nd - 18th

DeMarcus Cousins - 3rd - 5th

Daniel Orton 19th - 29th

Patrick Patterson - 10th - 14th

John Wall 2nd- 1st

Three big things that stand out to me:

(1) - Several players dropped considerably. In his defense, he only gets highly rated players so not much of a chance to improve their stock most of the time. The thing that stands out the most to me is how many players are either out of the league or in a non-contributing role after being such high rated HS recruits.

(2) - Only 4 players have become All-Stars: Wall, Cousins, KAT, and AD. All were rated top 5 recruits. Has many more top 10 recruits who have not become All-Stars.

(3) - No NBA champions amongst any of them. Rondo is the only current fUK NBA player with a ring and he predates Cal.

Not sure but to me that just told me that about 30 guys have gone to the NBA and I’m sure it’s more than that. We all know scout ratings mean little in how guys will do in college much less the NBA. Basically if you are a top recruit he will make sure you get to the NBA if you buy into the program he is running. Those guys don’t care where they get drafted. It’s your second contract and beyond where you get mega money not rookie deals. It’s about how fast you can get drafted more than how high. It’s a race to that second contract. The only track record with Cal that doesn’t live up to the hype is that Cal has the same number of Championships as Tubby Smith. To me if I’m a recruit you just made Cals case about doing what’s best for me and getting me drafted and to the league. Being an NBA all star is not easy...it’s mostly the same guys over and over since it’s mostly a fan vote. Devin Booker is a star and Jamal Murray is well on his way too. Clearly Anthony Davis is probably the Top 5 player in the league if not right after Durant and Lebron. Looking at Knox he was drafted higher than his ranking and SGA went way higher but again they went pro as freshman and that is what matters to them. I understand that Cal is a salesman...and sleezy but these kids love what he is selling for sure...it may not make sense to us but it’s a winning formula for getting recruits that is for sure.

14 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

That's all fine if we get them.  I just hope the staff has more or less gotten a silent verbal from both.  We saw what happened with Kyrie Irving when you put all eggs into one basket.

Why so negative all the time but it probably comes from the fact that you are on rivals so much.  Why not let it play out before you go all doom and gloom about recruiting. because so far Archie has hit it out of the park recruiting.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why so negative all the time but it probably comes from the fact that you are on rivals so much.  Why not let it play out before you go all doom and gloom about recruiting. because so far Archie has hit it out of the park recruiting.

I really think it's not about being negative as much as it is about getting a rise out of people.  To see how many times a post us quoted etc...

Several people here have said we are as good as you can be with TJD. we will not miss so not all eggs in a basket. We are in great shape with KB, could he end up somewhere else of course. Do i expect him to be a Hoosier most definitely.  

the staff told several make a move quickly not gonna have room for all of you. AF did and i am glad he did. That same poster wanted us to wait for Newman or Bouknight, put all our eggs in that basket. If we had waited there was a good chance we end up without a guard in that class.  He would have been the first one griping. Some people will never be happy with what their program is doing.  

Sorry for the vent. Really not sorry but i feel better😁

3 hours ago, CoachSS said:

IF Stewart visits IU then it COULD get interesting. 

Until then, I don't think there's much to latch onto since a lot of the information in the recruitment has changed. Sometimes, at a moment's notice. 

Agreed. Seems to have cooled quite a bit. If we can't even get an official I think it would be hard to sell him on coming here. He should be able to play next to Trayce but since both their games overlap quite a bit I could see why he may want to look elsewhere.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

So much for his final 6

Considering Cal basically had showed 0 interest in the kid I don't know how UK could have made his list. If you get a late offer it makes sense to open it up to a program that typically puts kids in the NBA after one year. To me the interesting thing seems to be that I think Cal probably thinks Wiseman and Carey ship has sailed and looking to change course and bring in another big.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. Seems to have cooled quite a bit. If we can't even get an official I think it would be hard to sell him on coming here. He should be able to play next to Trayce but since both their games overlap quite a bit I could see why he may want to look elsewhere.

Considering Cal basically had showed 0 interest in the kid I don't know how UK could have made his list. If you get a late offer it makes sense to open it up to a program that typically puts kids in the NBA after one year. To me the interesting thing seems to be that I think Cal probably thinks Wiseman and Carey ship has sailed and looking to change course and bring in another big.

Yes Cal get kids to the NBA but it has nothing to do with him because these kids would have went to the NBA even  if they went to Ball St.

18 hours ago, dgambill said:

Not sure but to me that just told me that about 30 guys have gone to the NBA and I’m sure it’s more than that. We all know scout ratings mean little in how guys will do in college much less the NBA. Basically if you are a top recruit he will make sure you get to the NBA if you buy into the program he is running. Those guys don’t care where they get drafted. It’s your second contract and beyond where you get mega money not rookie deals. It’s about how fast you can get drafted more than how high. It’s a race to that second contract. The only track record with Cal that doesn’t live up to the hype is that Cal has the same number of Championships as Tubby Smith. To me if I’m a recruit you just made Cals case about doing what’s best for me and getting me drafted and to the league. Being an NBA all star is not easy...it’s mostly the same guys over and over since it’s mostly a fan vote. Devin Booker is a star and Jamal Murray is well on his way too. Clearly Anthony Davis is probably the Top 5 player in the league if not right after Durant and Lebron. Looking at Knox he was drafted higher than his ranking and SGA went way higher but again they went pro as freshman and that is what matters to them. I understand that Cal is a salesman...and sleezy but these kids love what he is selling for sure...it may not make sense to us but it’s a winning formula for getting recruits that is for sure.

If you compare other coaches with the same HS ranking coming in you will see that other coaches do better. His post is dead on -- ALL of these guys were getting drafted, many would be one and dones if they could have been. There is basically ZERO evidence that Cal has developed ANYONE. He is not a developmental coach, he's a snake oil salesman who puts together teams of 5-star players, in a typically weak conference. That's not me being anti-UK, that's just fact. Those teams are built with future NBA players, that's his model, and because they're stacked as a 5-star factory, and play in what is usually a weak conference, his teams will typically do well and his players will get tons of exposure. Of course they're drafted. That many underperform in the League is not to be overlooked. 

Now look at guys Crean developed. Oladipo - all star, now a top 25 player, nowhere on anyone's radar going to college. Wade (yes Crean developed him, and Wade to this day credits him for it), many time all star, multiple rings, top 50 player ever. OG, under the radar in HS, ranked low, now a key player on one of the top teams in the East, just past his rookie year and many expect him to grow into a top two-way player in the League. Yogi, under-sized, undrafted because of it (refused a draft-and-stash offer), not an all star, but had a strong rookie year and was recognized as one of the top rookies. Also clearly developed, from a player who used to drive in and leave his feet with nowhere to go. Then there's his development of guys like Novak and Diener. Not including Cody as I personally don't think he developed Cody well. And this isn't intended as a pro-Crean post or to spur the usual back and forth about Crean, it's to compare what Crean did to develop players for the NBA, to what Cal does, which is basically next to nothing. 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Yes Cal get kids to the NBA but it has nothing to do with him because these kids would have went to the NBA even  if they went to Ball St.

I'm sure every coach in the country says that to the same kids....and yet they still end up at Kentucky...and they still go pro typically after 1 year. Doesn't matter if its the chicken or the egg....same result and the kids are the only ones that it matters....and they aren't listening to you or anyone else with your opinion. Trust me...I wish it wasn't the case but most see UK as the best place to go...to play at the highest level....get the most attention...play the most prime time games...practice against the best talent in the world and have a coach that seems to get them ready to play in the NBA. Whether its all true is beside the point. Reality is simply what they perceive it...sorry none of them are going to Ball St.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

If you compare other coaches with the same HS ranking coming in you will see that other coaches do better. His post is dead on -- ALL of these guys were getting drafted, many would be one and dones if they could have been. There is basically ZERO evidence that Cal has developed ANYONE. He is not a developmental coach, he's a snake oil salesman who puts together teams of 5-star players, in a typically weak conference. That's not me being anti-UK, that's just fact. Those teams are built with future NBA players, that's his model, and because they're stacked as a 5-star factory, and play in what is usually a weak conference, his teams will typically do well and his players will get tons of exposure. Of course they're drafted. That many underperform in the League is not to be overlooked. 

Now look at guys Crean developed. Oladipo - all star, now a top 25 player, nowhere on anyone's radar going to college. Wade (yes Crean developed him, and Wade to this day credits him for it), many time all star, multiple rings, top 50 player ever. OG, under the radar in HS, ranked low, now a key player on one of the top teams in the East, just past his rookie year and many expect him to grow into a top two-way player in the League. Yogi, under-sized, undrafted because of it (refused a draft-and-stash offer), not an all star, but had a strong rookie year and was recognized as one of the top rookies. Also clearly developed, from a player who used to drive in and leave his feet with nowhere to go. Then there's his development of guys like Novak and Diener. Not including Cody as I personally don't think he developed Cody well. And this isn't intended as a pro-Crean post or to spur the usual back and forth about Crean, it's to compare what Crean did to develop players for the NBA, to what Cal does, which is basically next to nothing. 

There is a fine line between developing a 3 star recruit and developing a 5 star recruit. I may agree Cal has never developed a single 3 star recruit...but that is because he doesn't take any basically. 5 stars go where they know they will get the best facilities, most attention, play in prime time games, practice against the best in the world, and have a coach with NBA connections. That is Cal. It isn't about development as much as I know an offer to UK is basically a ticket to the NBA my freshman year. At worst by year 2. I don't know what to tell you but guys that are 5 star have different priorities from the coaching staff then 3 star....and Cal whether true or not...has put more players in the NBA since he is at Kentucky then any other coach...and that is all they care.....and probably more in the lottery too. Do you trust Cal to keep my stock high and make me a pro...or do I go somewhere else without the track record and risk my meal ticket. Kids want the sure thing for the most part if Cal offers them.

25 minutes ago, dgambill said:

There is a fine line between developing a 3 star recruit and developing a 5 star recruit. I may agree Cal has never developed a single 3 star recruit...but that is because he doesn't take any basically. 5 stars go where they know they will get the best facilities, most attention, play in prime time games, practice against the best in the world, and have a coach with NBA connections. That is Cal. It isn't about development as much as I know an offer to UK is basically a ticket to the NBA my freshman year. At worst by year 2. I don't know what to tell you but guys that are 5 star have different priorities from the coaching staff then 3 star....and Cal whether true or not...has put more players in the NBA since he is at Kentucky then any other coach...and that is all they care.....and probably more in the lottery too. Do you trust Cal to keep my stock high and make me a pro...or do I go somewhere else without the track record and risk my meal ticket. Kids want the sure thing for the most part if Cal offers them.

You know we've had multiple 5-star players, right? Not trying to nitpick. I certainly agree guys go play for Cal because of the idea that going to UK / Cal gives you the exposure and positioning to get drafted. But you've moved away from the post you  responded to . The point is he's really not helping guys who go there -- they are going to get draft anyway -- and he's not developing them, they tend to underperform in the League. You're also not considering that IU has had its share of 5 star players, including under Crean, and they're in the League. Then there are guys like Romeo, whose priorities are pretty clear.

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Do you trust Cal to keep my stock high and make me a pro...or do I go somewhere else without the track record and risk my meal ticket. Kids want the sure thing for the most part if Cal offers them.

Based on his track record, the best you can say about that question is maybe.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Based on his track record, the best you can say about that question is maybe.

Respectfully disagree. Cal gets them to the league. Cal gets them exposure. ESPN doing specials on UK practices. Celebrities coming to practices. His program teaches kids how to deal with being in the limelight. He does just enough with the skill development to keep his kids in the conversation when the draft gurus start blathering. I am not defending or condoning Cal. But he has put a lot of kids into the league. How they do is on them to work hard and improve 

50 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Respectfully disagree. Cal gets them to the league. Cal gets them exposure. ESPN doing specials on UK practices. Celebrities coming to practices. His program teaches kids how to deal with being in the limelight. He does just enough with the skill development to keep his kids in the conversation when the draft gurus start blathering. I am not defending or condoning Cal. But he has put a lot of kids into the league. How they do is on them to work hard and improve 

I was responding to the portion in bold:

Do you trust Cal to keep my stock high

I'm not questioning that kids in his program get to the NBA.  I think it's fair to question whether or not their stock is at least maintained.  There are lots of examples where players slid in the draft.  Skal Labissiere, the Harrison twins and the most memorable one, Nerlens Noel.  IIRC, he was supposed to go #1 and slid to #6. "Well, that's still a lotto pick!" you say and yes, it is.  At the same time, if you watched that draft, you could see how visibly disappointed Noel was as each pick was announced.  I think it's fair to say that maybe a player can trust Cal to keep their draft stock high...

...and maybe not.

11 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So if John wall had went to NC St. instead of UK he wouldn't have been the #1 pick in the draft

Archived