Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!

CauseThatsMyDJ

Isaiah Stewart Cuts IU

Is it safe to assume that if Carey selects Duke today Sparty goes all in for Stewart? And if the opposite happens is that maybe why we've been trying to speak with him again because Carey chooses Sparty?

44 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Is it safe to assume that if Carey selects Duke today Sparty goes all in for Stewart? And if the opposite happens is that maybe why we've been trying to speak with him again because Carey chooses Sparty?

I hope Izzo misses on all of them.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Vernon Carey chooses Duke. So that means either Stewart is going to join him there or Sparty goes all in for Stewart now. 

1 minute ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

IMO I think Mich St goes all in for Stewart. 

At which point someone in Stewart's camp should say let's explore all options again. Sparty clearly wanted Carey over Stewart. Not sure how I would feel about being a backup plan at his level.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

At which point someone in Stewart's camp should say let's explore all options again. Sparty clearly wanted Carey over Stewart. Not sure how I would feel about being a backup plan at his level.

good point

3 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Poor Sparty

Yep. Until Izzo answers to what he knew or didn't know about the sex scandal up there....he's way down on the list again. He's the one who told us he'll comment on it later. Well to quote the greatest Judge of all time...we're waiting!!

• Like 1

I think Villanova is just waiting in the weeds on this one. Just feels like the right fit for him if he isn't going to sign with Michigan State. (I'm assuming they are still on his list....sorry it's been awhile since I saw who was left.) He just seems like an East Coast guy.

Edited by dgambill

1 hour ago, southsidehoosier said:

Carey to Duke

Man, the folks in KY are certainly depressed.  Not because they thought they had a shot, but because Duke has replaced them as the place to be if you're thinking OAD.  Their team isn't living up to their expectations and neither is their coach when it comes to recruiting.  It couldn't happen to a more deserving group.  😁

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

Man, the folks in KY are certainly depressed.  Not because they thought they had a shot, but because Duke has replaced them as the place to be if you're thinking OAD.  Their team isn't living up to their expectations and neither is their coach when it comes to recruiting.  It couldn't happen to a more deserving group.  😁

Does K coach until he dies?  He is 71 at this point and there has not been any indications out there for a while that he plans on retiring that I have heard.  You gotta think the if the over/under is 4 years, you take under with him walking away, but? I say this only because when does this start to catch up with his recruiting, where the question mark is there that can be exploited by opposing coaches.

Edited by IUALUM03

5 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Does K coach until he dies?  He is 71 at this point and there has not been any indications out there for a while that he plans on retiring that I have heard.  You gotta think the if the over/under is 4 years, you take under with him walking away, but? I say this only because when does this start to catch up with his recruiting, where the question mark is there that can be exploited by opposing coaches.

Good point, but this is where the OAD is perfect for K. Instead of, will he be there in 4 years, it's I'll be there next year. He's just better at the game, and higher on the Nike totem pole than Cal.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Good point, but this is where the OAD is perfect for K. Instead of, will he be there in 4 years, it's I'll be there next year. He's just better at the game, and higher on the Nike totem pole than Cal.

Higher on the NIke totem pole is key here. Nike $ used to get players to fUK. Once Coach K went all in on OAD, Nike shifted those $ his way.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Higher on the NIke totem pole is key here. Nike $ used to get players to fUK. Once Coach K went all in on OAD, Nike shifted those $ his way.

Really?? Is the FBI aware of this?  :)

I am thinking he has thereputation to recruit the best of the best without money. Those are some damning allegations you just made.

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

Really?? Is the FBI aware of this?  :)

I am thinking he has thereputation to recruit the best of the best without money. Those are some damning allegations you just made.

His reputation as a hall of fame coach is consistent. His desire to play the recruiting game seems to wax and wane. I've seen charts on annual recruiting rankings and it seems to support this theory. Duke had been flaming out in the tournament more often until they went out and got Okafor and Tyus Jones. K seemed to like whatever recruiting "adaptation" he made, and appears to be sticking with it to Cal's detriment. I certainly enjoy it, since we don't seem to be battling for the same recruits. 

16 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

His reputation as a hall of fame coach is consistent. His desire to play the recruiting game seems to wax and wane. I've seen charts on annual recruiting rankings and it seems to support this theory. Duke had been flaming out in the tournament more often until they went out and got Okafor and Tyus Jones. K seemed to like whatever recruiting "adaptation" he made, and appears to be sticking with it to Cal's detriment. I certainly enjoy it, since we don't seem to be battling for the same recruits. 

Or to quote one post on rupprafters..."HEY CAL! I thought WE ate first!".  LOL. 😝😁

Edited by jv1972iu

3 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

That came to mind as I was typing it, but every year there are those OAD that something happens to and they end up having to stay.  If I am a OAD, I still look at college as a four year deal just in case something doesn't work out.

5 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

That came to mind as I was typing it, but every year there are those OAD that something happens to and they end up having to stay.  If I am a OAD, I still look at college as a four year deal just in case something doesn't work out.

IUScott figured out how to hack other's accounts.   😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Izzo is scum. Dantonio is scum. That entire university is scum. Michigan State is dead to me

I'm not entirely sure what your feeling are on MSU.  Could you be a little more clear?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I'm not entirely sure what your feeling are on MSU.  Could you be a little more clear?

It is those vague statements that leave so much to interpretation. 

17 hours ago, cybergates said:

I think the USA basketball thing is where there was a paradigm shift with Coach K. Once kids saw him working with NBA guys and them singing his praises and the publicity that drew to his coaching style, ability to handle elite athletes, and also change caused him to adapt as a coach to a more NBA style offense and expand his views on his approach to players and the game it was really all it took. Nike immediately says K is willing to play the game we play...he is synonymous with USA basketball, elite basketball etc, now it was time to start funneling players to him. With this transition Duke players became less system players and K opened up how he played and focused on playing to these individuals and it became attractive for everyone. That said he still hasn't really had any greater success with OAD then before. Sure he has won a championship but let's be honest...he was getting to FF with his old system too. I just think K is a better coach then Cal and can do just a bit more with these freshman than Cal. But you are right...he is at the top of college basketball and it drives these entitled Kentucky fans crazy.....they hate it down here. To me...they deserve it....and Cal had his window and he left a couple titles on the table imo. Now that kids are figuring out they can get to the NBA quickly at different Universities...and get the same shoe money elsewhere...Cal has to work harder. He has a lot of talent honestly...let's see if he achieves anything with it.

Edited by dgambill