The Freshmen

Indykev's post about Justin Smith in the recruiting forum got me thinking:

The freshmen may be the X factor for next season that no one seems to be considering much.  Smith is a pretty highly touted recruit and we've hardly been talking about him on here.  And Moore has been described as an athletic "project," which makes me think he may be a candidate for the OG Anunoby Breakout Freshman of the Year Award.  Would be huge if he could give us spot minutes at the 5 this year - he's had some time to bulk up with Cliff.

I'll give Durham a shoutout here too.  I'm not as excited about him as the other two, and guard is our deepest position.  But maybe he can work his way into the rotation.  At the very least, he was obviously all in on IU and I'm sure he'll bring a good work ethic to the team.

4 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I'll give Durham a shoutout here too.  I'm not as excited about him as the other two, and guard is our deepest position.  But maybe he can work his way into the rotation.  At the very least, he was obviously all in on IU and I'm sure he'll bring a good work ethic to the team.

I think Al will get some minutes. We have 5 scholarship guards so I wouldn't say we are too deep there. 

Anyone have any updates on how players have been looking in practices? Haven't heard too much on that front. 

7 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Hartman off the bench?

Or Morgan, Hartman more likely though.  Gives us a little more depth down low to have one of them off of the bench as we only have three proven front court players and we don't know that Hartman can play starters minutes after the injury.  Plus it infuses athleticism into a starting lineup that, while not unathletic, is not going to overwhelm anyone with its athleticism. 

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Or Morgan, Hartman more likely though.  Gives us a little more depth down low to have one of them off of the bench as we only have three proven front court players and we don't know that Hartman can play starters minutes after the injury.  Plus it infuses athleticism into a starting lineup that, while not unathletic, is not going to overwhelm anyone with its athleticism. 

Would be great if he plays well enough to get the nod as a starter.  Don't think he would replace Morgan though.  Not enough defense in the starting lineup without him.

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

Would be great if he plays well enough to get the nod as a starter.  Don't think he would replace Morgan though.  Not enough defense in the starting lineup without him.

Hmm, I prefer Morgan over Hartman anyway but Davis, Johnson and Newkirk should all be plus defenders next year.  I think we will see everyone better on D. 

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Hmm, I prefer Morgan over Hartman anyway but Davis, Johnson and Newkirk should all be plus defenders next year.  I think we will see everyone better on D. 

I was talking more about defense down low.  Agree that Newkirk, RoJo, and Davis should all be plus defenders.  But Davis is only a sophomore, I think he'll need the solid defensive presence a vet like Morgan provides.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Here is what I see as the starting lineup

Johnson, Newkirk, Hartman, Morgan, Davis

I would like to see Green start over Newkirk.  Green is more of a threat offensively and he plays better defense than Newkirk.  I think with a little more confidence he will outplay any guard we have on the roster this year.  Either way, whomever starts I hope we take care of the ball and play defense the whole game and not just in increments.

35 minutes ago, Montana Hoosier said:

I would like to see Green start over Newkirk.  Green is more of a threat offensively and he plays better defense than Newkirk.  I think with a little more confidence he will outplay any guard we have on the roster this year.  Either way, whomever starts I hope we take care of the ball and play defense the whole game and not just in increments.

I thought the last part of the season Newkirk was one of our best players and improved his shooting greatly.

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Here is what I see as the starting lineup

Johnson, Newkirk, Hartman, Morgan, Davis

I like this lineup to start the season, but not having watched the new guys it's hard to say.  I hope we have competition at each of the spots that way the best guy on the floor to start the game can be replaced by a guy just as good if he gets into foul trouble or needs a breather.  For me it not about who starts but who produces when they are in the game.

Question because I am too lazy to research and I suspect some of you have studied it enough to come to an informed opinion...

Purdue fans seem pretty high on their incoming class. I know it's a little larger class number-wise, but how do the two classes compare other than class size?

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I think I remember hearing that Moore was a guard that hit a huge growth spurt, kind of like Anthony Davis.  Does anyone know if this is true, or did I just make it up?

Yes, he grew 7" in HS. ITH just had an article on him. Check the recruiting board.

247Sports has the IU 2017 class ranked as 18th nationally, and Purdue's class is ranked 29th nationally.   IU had 2 four stars & 2 3 stars while Purdue had 4 3stars and 1 4 star.   Purdue's 4 star was around #67 in 247Sports rankings.   Justin Smith of IU is #77 & Race Thompson #101.   Purdue got a JC PF ranked #9 in JC ranks.  Purdue also signed a 7"2" Center (Haarms) and a SG that were in the mid 300's.

This thread makes me excited to see our freshman in action. I really haven't had a chance to see these guys in live action at all outside of highlight clips. They're skill set and development is a real unknown for me at this point. And I'll take Newkirk over Green to start games at point based on experience and his improvement last year. 

7 hours ago, slojoe said:

247Sports has the IU 2017 class ranked as 18th nationally, and Purdue's class is ranked 29th nationally.   IU had 2 four stars & 2 3 stars while Purdue had 4 3stars and 1 4 star.   Purdue's 4 star was around #67 in 247Sports rankings.   Justin Smith of IU is #77 & Race Thompson #101.   Purdue got a JC PF ranked #9 in JC ranks.  Purdue also signed a 7"2" Center (Haarms) and a SG that were in the mid 300's.

Thank, Joe... I knew someone would have that info. On paper at least, it looks like IU's class has a slight edge. I have a feeling that gap may get a little bigger next year.

Archived