Iowa Post Game. ROJOOO

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

This was like the good ole days. My wife had to leave the room because I was up pacing, yelling and stomping the floor. 

I think I've been married longer than you have. My wife is nowhere near the room when I watch IU games. Usually she leaves the house.

7 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

This is the Green I had always hoped to see.  I admit I thought I never would -- glad to be proven wrong.  He's got talent that nobody else on our team has.  If he is consistent like this, we're a different team.

It's nice to see a kid right now, take criticism and be humbled, adjust his mindset, and grow up. He will be an all big ten guy next season if his growth continues. I enjoy when kids buy in. 

Awesome win.  Nice to find a way to win.  Iowa gave us an enthusiastic shot in their house and we took it and won.  

Our half court offense has been great for weeks now.  We are moving the ball much more with the pass and not relying on the dribble as much.  As a result, it’s nice to see us understand how to attack the zone.  

Green, six assists and one turnover.  The flashes of seeing the floor that we used to see are really materializing into the consistent  level of play that we all anticipated.  Archie has brought him in brilliantly.  He’s been good for six plus assists a game consistently.  He pressures the ball defensively and he can hit jumpers.  

Not necessarily today, but over the last stretch of games, our guards are really pressuring out there.  It’s a miracle what we are seeing compared to the past.   We just smothered Bohannon.  He had no shot today physically.  

Love our adjustements. In general, the coaching staff really understands what is happening out there, and how to deal with it, appropriately. 

Johnson found his favorite shots and was just incredible.  I’m sure they’ve got shot charts of where guys have high percentages. So you see our guys finding the right spots, and hitting them.  We are playing a lot smarter.  

Justin Smith plays a little young but he plays very tough inside.  That’s no small task for such a young guy who is not even that long.  

McSwain had a tough matchup, but finished when it mattered.  

There are not 65 better teams than us, right now.  Not even close.  

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Awesome win.  Nice to find a way to win.  

Our half court offense has been great for weeks now.  We are moving the ball much more with the pass and not relying on the dribble as much.  As a result, it’s nice to see us understand how to attack the zone.  

Green, six assists and one turnover.  The flashes of seeing the floor are really materializing.  Archie has brought him in brilliantly.  He’s been good for six plus assists a game consistently. 

Not necessarily today, but over the last stretch of games, our guards are really pressuring out there.  It’s a miracle what we are seeing compared to the past.   We just smothered Bohannon.  He had no shot today physically.  

Love our adjustements. In general, the coaching staff really understands what is happening out there, and how to deal with it, appropriately. 

Johnson found his favorite shots and was just incredible.  I’m sure they’ve got shot charts of where guys have high percentages. So you see our guys finding the right spots, and hitting them.  We are playing a lot smarter.  

Justin Smith plays a little young but he plays very tough inside.  That’s no small task for such a young guy who is not even that long.  

McSwain has a tough matchup, but finished when it mattered.  

There are not 65 better teams than us, right now.  Not even close.  

Next 2 games will tell us a lot about how good this team really is.  Still have only one win over a team with a winning record in conference (PSU at home).  But encouraging to see the team follow up a 4 game losing streak with a 4 game winning streak.

7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

now, back to my pessimistic self... win @ 11-4 NEB and then vs. OSU?  then BTT finals?  i don't like the odds.  

I thought the same thing, but NEB has had a pretty easy schedule in teh B1G.  They have single plays with MSU, PU, UM ,OSU.  Their current 6 game win streak is Rutgers 2x, Iowa at home, MD at home then @ Wisc, and @Minn.    I think we have a really good chance Tuesday, plus Neb will only have 1 day rest after playing @UI tomorrow.

Loved seeing a team that didn't look lost playing against a zone. Loved the adjustment CAM made by taking Freddie out of the middle of the zone and putting guys in there who were more of a threat. 

Defense was better than the score indicated. Guys battled all game. 

Most importantly this team didn't fold when Iowa got off to such a hot start. Much more mental toughness than the last few years 

Very satisfying come back win on the road.  Now that I have gotten that out of the way, let me digress a little bit.

I was shocked to hear that Iowa extended Fran through the 2023 year.   Why ?  It's not like any other school will be knocking Iowa's doors down to get Fran.  It's like the Bruce Weber effect, and to some the Tom Crean effect.  Give a fair to poor coach like that an extension, and they get lazy.  And instead of your programs' improving, it continues to go down hill.  And your HC continues to collect his paycheck.   I just don't understand it.

Using Bobby Knight as an example in contrast.  He went on a year to year contract..... by his own volition, for much the time he was at IU.   Kept him sharp, till the end.  And even one year while at Texas Tech, feeling he had not done a good enough job.... Bobby gave his entire paycheck back to Texas Tech.  I doubt Fran will be giving his paycheck back to Iowa once this season completes itself.

OK.... getting off my soapbox. 

Fran.... at a loss as to why his team lost :

Fran McCaffery Indiana Postgame 

4 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Loved seeing a team that didn't look lost playing against a zone. Loved the adjustment CAM made by taking Freddie out of the middle of the zone and putting guys in there who were more of a threat. 

Defense was better than the score indicated. Guys battled all game. 

Most importantly this team didn't fold when Iowa got off to such a hot start. Much more mental toughness than the last few years 

If Hartman or Smith could have defended Cook a little when Morgan was out McSwain wouldn't have played much in this game. Those two were great against the zone. 

Archived