Iowa Post Game. ROJOOO

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Was not able to watch today because of some family commitments. But a 2 point Win on the road is amazing. And Rojo, WOW! This is the Rojo we have been needing. Now I just hope he follows this good game up with another one in Neb.!

And hit a "pressure" free throw.

12 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Remember earlier this season when people couldn't wait for RoJo to leave, suggested he had already checked out, some didn't care, or even encouraged Green to transfer?  Funny how things can change.

One reason I generally refrain from being overly critical of any of our players except in extreme circumstances.  I said earlier in another thread that pretty much every scholarship player on the roster had received significant criticism at some point this season.  Many were heroes after being wished off the team/speculated for transfer, etc.

I just don't see it as healthy to be so critical of our players.  We're not alone though...GBI is trashing their roster and their coach.

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

One reason I generally refrain from being overly critical of any of our players except in extreme circumstances.  I said earlier in another thread that pretty much every scholarship player on the roster had received significant criticism at some point this season.  Many were heroes after being wished off the team/speculated for transfer, etc.

I just don't see it as healthy to be so critical of our players.  We're not alone though...GBI is trashing their roster and their coach.

Agreed.  I have never been one to subscribe to the chicken little mantra.  Not a single one of these kids was recruited to play Archie's system.  It has taken time, and I think we are seeing the results of them understanding the system, and their confidence growing.  People piled on RoJo, even as Archie was praising him publicly.  Greg Doyle wrote a great article about Rob a week or so ago.  The kid understands what it is to be a Hoosier, and contrary to the opinion of many on here, I do think he will be missed, and fondly remembered.

Props to Rob for a huge game today, and hope he can finish strong.  But I don’t think dropping 29 on a 3-12 Iowa team after IU has already been effectively eliminated from tournament contention is going to make him the stuff of Hoosier legend.  If it does, expectations have been severely lowered.

9 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Props to Rob for a huge game today, and hope he can finish strong.  But I don’t think dropping 29 on a 3-12 Iowa team after IU has already been effectively eliminated from tournament contention is going to make him the stuff of Hoosier legend.  If it does, expectations have been severely lowered.

Tons of guys are fondly remembered that aren't legends. 

Robwill likely average 15 ppg while playing defense at a all conference level. Was he as good as we needed? Perhaps not, but doesn't that kind of speak to how good he is?

8 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Did I say "Hoosier Legend"?  Is Greg Graham a "Hoosier Legend", or Matt Nover, or Dane Fife, Rod Wilmont, Matt Roth, ?  I simply said "fondly remembered"

52 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Remember earlier this season when people couldn't wait for RoJo to leave, suggested he had already checked out, some didn't care, or even encouraged Green to transfer?  Funny how things can change.

Haha, yep. People have been all over Johnson for not being a good shooter. He just tied the IU record for made 3s in a game, and is top 4 in IU history for made 3s in a career. Someone was giving Green a hard time about making one handed passes a while back. Today he makes a GREAT one handed pass to set up the game winning layup. Pretty sure Juwan Morgan was called "pathetic" in a post game thread very early in the season too.

Here's a little crow for me too. I was mildly critical of Archie earlier in the season - but I think he's done a really good job with this group since the injury to Davis.

46 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Agreed.  I have never been one to subscribe to the chicken little mantra.  Not a single one of these kids was recruited to play Archie's system.  It has taken time, and I think we are seeing the results of them understanding the system, and their confidence growing.  People piled on RoJo, even as Archie was praising him publicly.  Greg Doyle wrote a great article about Rob a week or so ago.  The kid understands what it is to be a Hoosier, and contrary to the opinion of many on here, I do think he will be missed, and fondly remembered.

The funny thing is that Rob has always been the same. Good shooter, good defender, good kid who represents the program well. He's not a vocal guy, and he's definitely not a PG or someone who's going to create for others. He looks great as a complimentary player, but he's not a guy you can run the offense through. All of these things have been true since day one. He has started 100+ games for IU, we should all know who he is by now.

It's silly for people's opinions to fluctuate so wildly on a guy we've all watched play basketball literally a hundred times.

A. I think today’s game was called okay. (I’m grading on a curve) 

B. I think officiating can and does change the outcome of games. 

C. Human error will always play a part in the outcome when humans are involved. 

D. I think the NCAA needs to change the max fouls per player to 6. It’s not so much the human error,  but rather ‘foul trouble’ that I think most impacts outcomes. 

E. That’s all I have to say about that. 

F. Oh yeah, good win today. 

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

facepalm 2.jpg

8 hours ago, Muddy River said:

Yep. Didn't pay attention to those types of comments 2 months ago either. Didn't make sense then. Still doesn't.

Regarding game. One very special thing this team has setup Archie and IU for years with is trust. More than likely this will be the least talented roster Archie has to deal with at IU. For this team to trust it's staff to develop and get them in the position to win, change a season,etc....has truly been phenomenal to watch. I realize it's only Iowa. Still...great turnaround in game and in season.

Robert Johnson. We thank you. We thank you for your 29 yesterday and we thank you for your leadership. You didn't sign up for Archie or his system. But you have made a transition this year that many adults can't or won't make look very easy and without being selfish. 

10 win conference season in sight. Didn't see that coming with this roster down Davis. Very, very good coaching job by our staff and again....the trust a staff and it's players have is showing. 

Archived