Iowa Post Game. ROJOOO

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Scouting officiating? I have no idea what you're trying to prove. If you coached you wouldn't be worried about the refs as much. 

I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm asking why guys who get paid millions of dollars to coach scout officials, look at what they call, etc. if refs don't impact the game? 

Time is a finite resource that could be spent elsewhere if it doesn't impact the game. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm asking why guys who get paid millions of dollars scout officials, look at what they call, etc. if refs don't impact the game? 

Time is a finite resource that could be spent elsewhere if it doesn't impact the game. 

It appears it probably should be

25 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

But why don't they? What do you know that Phil Jackson, who definitely worried about officiating, doesn't?

I am seriously interested in learning why it doesn't impact the game so please don't blow off my question. 

Because it has zero impact on how a coach should do their job or how a team should play their game. Good coaches don't worry about this. They do their job. 

13 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Have you ever seen TV Ted or Joey Crawford?  Refs ABSOLUTELY have an impact on the game.  How do you think that they grade them?  

I asked this previously. How are these guys graded ? Seems to me that college refs go game to game and there is no organization in place to evaluate their quality. Oftentimes they are traveling from one time zone to another and are working consecutive days. 

I can't imagine that a multi- million dollar business would have such poor quality control standards 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Because it has zero impact on how a coach should do their job or how a team should play their game. Good coaches don't worry about this. They do their job. 

But it does impact how a game is played. For instance, the refs lot a ton of physicality go in the Purdue game with Freddie on Haas. That completely changed how we, an undersized team, could guard them. Any good coach would use that to his advantage. 

Bad officiating will never go away and players, coaches, and fans should accept it and try their best to work around it.  That said, blatant one-sided officiating should NOT be accepted, and officials should be held accountable when that happens.  I don't think that was the case on today's game, but it definitely happens often enough (at all levels) that leagues and officials should be ashamed.  

I think officials frequently affect the game.  I don't think they frequently change the outcome of the game.  Good coaches and good teams adjust as IU did today.  Freddie took over Juwan's defensive assignment when Juwan was in foul trouble and absolutely made a difference at the end of the game with much more assertive defense on Cook.  That's one example of how good coaches adjust to officiating.

5 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I asked this previously. How are these guys graded ? Seems to me that college refs go game to game and there is no organization in place to evaluate their quality. Oftentimes they are traveling from one time zone to another and are working consecutive days. 

I can't imagine that a multi- million dollar business would have such poor quality control standards 

I honestly am not sure how they’re graded, but I do know that they are graded.  That’s why you typically see the same guys doing FF’s and big games.  To your quality controls standards, it would be impossible for the NCAA to have great r fa at every game.  It’s just mathematically impossible, given how many NCAA teams there are.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

A great coach once told me: the quicker you accept that officiating is not good will make your life a lot easier. 

If you take that quote at face value it seems to be making the point refs often suck and do impact the game, you just aren't going to change them so don't stress over it. It seems to be more life/stress advice than it does basketball advice. It's a good quote if you're worried about your stress level.

I'm not a D1 coach but I can speak from my own personal experience. There are things in business I can directly control, things I can influence and things completely outside of my control. In order to be successful, I can't ignore the two areas I don't have direct control over; I've got to figure out how to use those two areas to my advantage. Choosing to ignore them just blinds me to the complete picture. 

I understand and can agree in part with the idea that players decide games and people shouldn’t stress the bad calls, as there are bad calls with the good in every game.

but yes, officiating absolutely impacts the games, and the years of watching the favoratist drivel that has passed for officiating in Wisconsin, for example, has left me with a very low opinion of college refs. Then there are guys like TV Ted etc. then there’s the strikingly weighted fee throw shooting, for the home team. Yes, there were calls that could go either way, and it’s always easier to judge them after the fact from our couches, but there were also some obvious bad calls, and those favored the home team.

I try to ignore it, because getting ticked off about it gets us nowhere, but what I really liked today was our guys didn’t get disracted or flustered, and despite the large free throw disparity, they kept focused and won 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

There are three entities in every game, the two teams and the refs, all three absolutely impact the outcome of the game. I don’t expect refs to be perfect, mistakes will always be made, but those mistakes absolutely do quite often impact the outcome. 

As long as they don't change the outcome, I can accept that as a human error factor and live with it.  

28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Bad officiating will never go away and players, coaches, and fans should accept it and try their best to work around it.  That said, blatant one-sided officiating should NOT be accepted, and officials should be held accountable when that happens.  I don't think that was the case on today's game, but it definitely happens often enough (at all levels) that leagues and officials should be ashamed.  

Totally agree.  I don't expect the officiating to be good.  I do expect it to be fair. 

Two things that I think they should do that may help the officiating (from a guy with no basketball officiating experience)

Officiating should be treated as a full time job. To my knowledge it isn’t. Also officials should be made available for comment after the game.  I think a lot of fans wouldn’t feel such animosity if there were at least some explanation of what the refs are seeing 

3 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

Two things that I think they should do that may help the officiating (from a guy with no basketball officiating experience)

Officiating should be treated as a full time job. To my knowledge it isn’t. Also officials should be made available for comment after the game.  I think a lot of fans wouldn’t feel such animosity if there were at least some explanation of what the refs are seeing 

Totally agree. I'd love to hear some explanations. 

Archived