The Sectional Pairings

milehiiu

I'll never forget watching Luke Zeller vs. Roncalli in the semi state at Seymour. Game was sold out.. my dad knew a Seymour teacher that owed him one and he let us in the building. We sat in fold out chairs on a platform in the corner. 4/5th of that gym stood up and yelled "Washington Hatchets" at each timeout. So cool. 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

My high school coach (Don Rogers) coached at Richmond after a stint at Washington (Hatchets). He went to Washington in 1973 and I am pretty sure he was Steve Bouchie's high school coach. 

Stan Neal (father of Craig - Class of '83 and recent New Mexico coach) was Bouchie's coach. I remember the name Don Rogers but he was gone by the 1978 & 1979 sectionals when Bouchie starred.

37 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Interesting. Thank you for the information. 

Welcome.  I don't recall why he moved on, but he missed out on an excellent 1978 Washington senior class that I think lost to Terre Haute South in the final game of the semi-state after coughing up a pretty significant lead. Bouchie as a junior started with a bunch of seniors. Good team that definitely could have won it all. The following year when Bouchie was a senior and Mr. basketball, I think they again lost to THS in the semi-state, but it was at least more expected.

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

New Castle is a great gym especially when it is packed but I have not seen it that way for a long time.  What is a little unique about New Castle is when you come in you at ground floor you are at the top. The bleachers and the court are underground.

Sounds like "The Pit" at the University of New Mexico.  You enter on ground level, and then go down, once inside. 

Sectional games tonight.  Floyd Central beat Bedford North-Lawrence by 41.  Seymour sectional is just going to be unreal Friday night.  Three top 6 schools, Romeo Langford, and, most likely, the home team.

Some multiple overtime games in other parts of the state.  Nothing like sectional time in Indiana.

54268_Winning_North_Side-810x840.jpg?1519784084590

1954 - After the nets were cut down and the first celebration of the sectional win Feb. 27, 1954, was over, North Side coach Jim Hinga headed for the dressing room at the coliseum - but not under his own power. His jubilant Redskins gave him a victory ride. With Dick Hickox and Bud Taylor, at left, leading the way, 'Bama Aldridge and Larry Koehl have one limb, while Henry Chapman and other Redskins have the other.

Archived