The Sectional Pairings

milehiiu

7 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Did that actually happen or is this a classic case of remembering the past as better than it really was? New Castle isn't getting 10,000 fans for any game today regardless of tournament structure. People just don't care enough anymore to watch teams that aren't their own.

It happened in 1972. Yorktown beat Muncie Central 70-65 and then beat #1 New Castle (With Benson) 72-59 . Muncie Fieldhouse had almost 6,000 fans and New Castle's gym was filled to capacity. 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never liked class basketball and really still don't but when my school Knightstown in 05-07 won 3 straight sectionals and one regional it was a great time.  My nephew played on those teams and went to every tournament game at Alexandria and the place was packed to ceiling.  In the semi state we played at Southport against Forrest Park and that gym was totally full of 8000  people.

Growing up in the one class system we were in the New castle sectional and Knightstown won the sectional in 58 then the next one in 87 my sophomore year of high school.  New Castle one something like 23 out of 25 sectionals at one stretch from the late 70's through the 90's

The Ft Wayne sectionals were always exciting but the regional, when the great Marion teams came up, the Coliseum was packed.

I get it that the small schools have little chance in a one class tournament. I still don't think that giving a state championship to a school that might be the 10th best team in the state is of value. Participation trophies don't count in my book 

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I never liked class basketball and really still don't but when my school Knightstown in 05-07 won 3 straight sectionals and one regional it was a great time.  My nephew played on those teams and went to every tournament game at Alexandria and the place was packed to ceiling.  In the semi state we played at Southport against Forrest Park and that gym was totally full of 8000  people.

Growing up in the one class system we were in the New castle sectional and Knightstown won the sectional in 58 then the next one in 87 my sophomore year of high school.  New Castle one something like 23 out of 25 sectionals at one stretch from the late 70's through the 90's

I miss single class, but I also see the benefits of multi-class basketball. My school (Mt. Vernon) also was funneled into the New Castle regional and it was a huge deal to make it out of there to the semi-state (which I think was at Hinkle). 

18 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

I miss single class, but I also see the benefits of multi-class basketball. My school (Mt. Vernon) also was funneled into the New Castle regional and it was a huge deal to make it out of there to the semi-state (which I think was at Hinkle). 

Mt. Vernon was in our conference when I was in high school. They always had very good teams. 

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Did that actually happen or is this a classic case of remembering the past as better than it really was? New Castle isn't getting 10,000 fans for any game today regardless of tournament structure. People just don't care enough anymore to watch teams that aren't their own.

Pretty sure Connersville sold it out last year in the regional. 

3 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Totally irrelevant, but I remember Floyd Central giving EC Washington everything they could handle back in 71.

That was one FC's best teams ever.  Three players from that team played Div 1.

Jerry Hale - UK, Jerry Schellenberg -  Wake Forrest and Tom Schellenberg - Alabama

2 minutes ago, Dr. Jones said:

That was one FC's best teams ever.  Three players from that team played Div 1.

Jerry Hale - UK, Jerry Schellenberg -  Wake Forrest and Tom Schellenberg - Alabama

I knew about EC's 71 team. In fact posted about it just a few days back.  But was not aware of FC's products.  Thanks for making me aware. 

13 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

The Ft Wayne sectionals were always exciting but the regional, when the great Marion teams came up, the Coliseum was packed.

I get it that the small schools have little chance in a one class tournament. I still don't think that giving a state championship to a school that might be the 10th best team in the state is of value. Participation trophies don't count in my book 

Ummmmm, Marion didn't play in the Ft. Wayne Regional.  They got to Fort Wayne for the Semi-State.

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

Mt. Vernon was in our conference when I was in high school. They always had very good teams. 

They did, but good golly, I don’t think MV made it out of New Castle very often. It’s funny that even today, years later, I will come across a name from the conference and it brings me back to the old days, lol. 

Great discussion here guys.  I like class basketball but miss the local rivals playing in the same gym for the sectional title.  For me sectionals don’t mean as much as they use too back when it was a single class.  Greensburg, Batesvilles, North Decatur, South Decatur, Rushville, Jac-Cen-Del.  Those were they days!

16 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I'm going to date myself but I remembering going to a FW sectional where the bracket was 16 teams or very close.  Then they divided the FW Sectional into 2 different sectionals.

36 minutes ago, slojoe said:

I'm going to date myself but I remembering going to a FW sectional where the bracket was 16 teams or very close.  Then they divided the FW Sectional into 2 different sectionals.

I love hearing the "old timers" talk about the old sectional times.  

20 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

College has multiple levels.  Three divisions in NCAA.  And multiple NAIA levels as well.  One class ball worked 50-60 years ago but the discrepancy just got too big for it to sustain.  

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

College has multiple levels.  Three divisions in NCAA.  And multiple NAIA levels as well.  One class ball worked 50-60 years ago but the discrepancy just got too big for it to sustain.  

fouls, I love you but that ain't the same thing.  The NCAA makes no distinction for enrollment.  

My old HS never won a sectional before class basketball and has won state since. Class basketball isn't just about the tournament either, during one of the first years of class basketball my old HS was ranked #2 in the state and played at #1. Tickets were hard to come by and the atmosphere was better than anything my HS had experienced up to that point (to my knowledge).

While the non-class tournament CAN produce incredible storylines with small schools upsetting large ones (like the one referenced by jefftheref and Milan of course), overall I believe class basketball benefits more kids than non-class does and that's what's most important IMO.

Archived