2018 options

ThePaulieWalnuts

Here are some Jaelen Sanford highlights (Toledo) against some terrible Italian defense this past summer. Judging by some of his reactions, I actually think the Italian coach was excited by some of the Toledo highlight plays. Sanford definitely has a jumper, fairly quick release, and the ability to drive to the basket. FYI, he's the blonde haired kid with yellow shoes (#13 I think).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jeP35ofcwM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjsWHLxc0Qw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFh3ePbSv_c

15 minutes ago, A-hOhL said:

Here are some Jaelen Sanford highlights (Toledo) against some terrible Italian defense this past summer. Judging by some of his reactions, I actually think the Italian coach was excited by some of the Toledo highlight plays. Sanford definitely has a jumper, fairly quick release, and the ability to drive to the basket. FYI, he's the blonde haired kid with yellow shoes (#13 I think).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jeP35ofcwM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjsWHLxc0Qw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFh3ePbSv_c

Welcome to HSN 3.0 !

42 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

The chatter is that Indiana may look for a guard (combo) and a post as grad transfers. 

Indiana only has 11 scholarships accounted for next year at current writing. A transfer out would mean 10. 

So, they could, theoretically, add a HS player and two grad transfers. That would put them at 13. 

I don't care to count scholarships. Just meant to really add that I fully expect Indiana's 2018 options to include three players: A HS senior, two grad transfers.

Also, I wouldn't rule out an undergrad transfer in the backcourt if the staff rates someone highly enough. 

Without naming a name, is there someone you have in mind that you expect to transfer at year's end?

43 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Without naming a name, is there someone you have in mind that you expect to transfer at year's end?

I look at our roster and would feel sad for any of our undergrads to leave.  I know it's usually about playing time, but I still see potential in all of them and I hate to see that potential blossom elsewhere even though I understand it's usually for the best.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I look at our roster and would feel sad for any of our undergrads to leave.  I know it's usually about playing time, but I still see potential in all of them and I hate to see that potential blossom elsewhere even though I understand it's usually for the best.

Agreed. I can't say there is anyone I want to leave after the year. But it looks like that very well may be the case.

Seems like it would only be Green or Moore, right?  Morgan might go pro, but no way he transfers.  Davis made it sound like he was coming back for sure in his recent interview.  I thought Green was gone for sure before he started to figure things out, but he still hasn’t been able to find much consistency.  And Moore just hasn’t really got any opportunity to play.

17 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

Jaelen Sanford is an excellent ballplayer.   Was at 4A finals when Reitz played Carmel for State title.  Reitz was tough as nails for 3 quarters before Carmel (Biggie was a senior on that team) came storming back from a big deficit to win, IIRC, in OT.

Sanford would be an outstanding Hoosier, in fact at that State champ game a few years ago, I found myself wishing he’d have been coming to IU.   Deadly from 3!  Basketball IQ is off the charts, a true HOOSIER!

I remember that game.........but it was against Homestead and it did go to OT.

I'm still hopeful with Clifton. He's got a lot of length and athleticism and I've seen evidence of a sweet midrange stroke.  That being said, I doubt he'll be content to sit on the end of the bench forever. Love Al and Justin and I see bright futures for both. Al will work on his stroke and that's really the biggest thing he's lacked this year on a consistent basis. Great kid too.  I've been high on Al since I saw his King of Bluegrass highlights. When he gets going, he can put up amazing numbers.

5 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Any possible grad transfers from Dayton?  

Go Hoosiers!!!

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3138229/josh-cunningham

Someone else will need to interpret the rules for me. He has already transferred once to play for Archie, but I believe the grad transfer rule would allow him to complete 4 years of eligibility in 5 years.

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3138229/josh-cunningham

Someone else will need to interpret the rules for me. He has already transferred once to play for Archie, but I believe the grad transfer rule would allow him to complete 4 years of eligibility in 5 years.

Yes if he graduates then he would be eligible for grad transfer.  I don't think the transferring already makes a difference, I believe that is what Evan Gordon did.  Cunningham is a  good player, I am just not sure we have a need for a undersized power forward.  He could fill the role of McSwain with a ton more offensive ability if that is something CAM sees as a need.

7 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

Yes if he graduates then he would be eligible for grad transfer.  I don't think the transferring already makes a difference, I believe that is what Evan Gordon did.  Cunningham is a  good player, I am just not sure we have a need for a undersized power forward.  He could fill the role of McSwain with a ton more offensive ability if that is something CAM sees as a need.

I could see him being a fall back if Juwan leaves. And thanks for the response!

Just now, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I could see him being a fall back if Juwan leaves.

Yes if Juwan leaves he would fill that spot very effectively.  I followed him pretty closely at Bradley as that is where I got my undergrad, he is a fantastic rebounder.  Then again maybe after what we saw the last 2 games we do need him.

23 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Seems like it would only be Green or Moore, right?  Morgan might go pro, but no way he transfers.  Davis made it sound like he was coming back for sure in his recent interview.  I thought Green was gone for sure before he started to figure things out, but he still hasn’t been able to find much consistency.  And Moore just hasn’t really got any opportunity to play.

CoachSS specifically referenced a backcourt player so that narrows it down considerably. 

32 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

I don't recall mentioning a backcourt player specifically. If so, it was a mistake. It very well could be. It could be a front court player. 

The reality is that change is imminent when a new staff is brought in. Do I expect 3-4 transfers? Of course not. But attrition is a yearly thing in Division-1 basketball. Whether they are leaving a school to play professionally, transferring because of playing time or being recruited over. Attrition is likely. 

I'll leave it at that. 

I'll say that I saw nothing in your previous post indication any clues as to who might leave and I appreciate that you left it generic.  One of my pet peeves is when transfer speculation happens and specific players are mentioned by name.  Nothing says "we don't appreciate your decision to play here, the sacrifices you made to do so or your efforts while you were here." like naming players and speculating that they will leave for reasons other than graduation/playing professionally.

On 2/21/2018 at 1:52 PM, RoadToZion said:

Coming in, I thought Clifton had a lot of promise. But now when I see him play (on the rare occasions he gets PT), he looks completely lost. He's the only one that would really make sense to transfer.

Al LOVES Indiana, and Archie feels the same about Al. Remember before the season, Al was getting some of the most praise out of anyone. Archie has a spot for Al on this team and Al knows it. That leaves who else....Morgan pro (doubt it), Green (maybe), Justin Smith (highly doubt it..he'll start next year), DeRon (doubtful. He doesnt fit Archies system as well as the others, but it would be hard for me to see him transferring and sitting out an entire year somewhere else). 

Clifton should have been given a redshirt. This was a waste of a year of eligibility for a kid who's game is very raw. 

18 hours ago, CoachSS said:

I don't recall mentioning a backcourt player specifically. If so, it was a mistake. It very well could be. It could be a front court player. 

The reality is that change is imminent when a new staff is brought in. Do I expect 3-4 transfers? Of course not. But attrition is a yearly thing in Division-1 basketball. Whether they are leaving a school to play professionally, transferring because of playing time or being recruited over. Attrition is likely. 

I'll leave it at that. 

Sorry, I read it wrong. 

Archived