Sampson James

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope we give Mike Hart a raise.  His recruiting has been exceptional (Sampson James, Ronnie Walker, Stevie Scott), and I've been happy with how our freshman RB have performed behind a struggling OL, not stretching the field much with deep passes, and vanilla play calling.

James must have seen or heard something he really, really liked last night.  Hopefully he can help recruit for us, and there's a trickle down effect to some of the other players in the class.

5 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Using the 24/7 class calculator, we'd move up from 166.76 points to 178.88 points which would move us up from 48th to 41st nationally and from 11th to 10th in the B1G.

Thanks so much......that is no where near where I was anticipating. I was hoping somewhere around 30-35th range. Heck Purdue is 28th with a listed four 4 stars.

4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I really hope we give Mike Hart a raise.  His recruiting has been exceptional (Sampson James, Ronnie Walker, Stevie Scott), and I've been happy with how our freshman RB have performed behind a struggling OL, not stretching the field much with deep passes, and vanilla play calling.

James must have seen or heard something he really, really liked last night.  Hopefully he can help recruit for us, and there's a trickle down effect to some of the other players in the class.

Agree totally! We just need to make sure we hold onto him!!!! Hart being a Michigan alum,.....Harbaugh and his higher ups are going tact he wind of his success with these elite running backs....

2 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Thanks so much......that is no where near where I was anticipating. I was hoping somewhere around 30-35th range. Heck Purdue is 28th with a listed four 4 stars.

Even with this commit, they still have 4 more commits than us, so that's a big part of it.  With James, our average rating moves up to 85.55 from 84.98.  Purdue is at 85.95.  If we didn't have the long snapper (glad we have him, but it hurts our rankings), we'd have an average of 86.12.  I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a class ranked as high or higher than Purdue once we start getting a few more commits.

32 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Even with this commit, they still have 4 more commits than us, so that's a big part of it.  With James, our average rating moves up to 85.55 from 84.98.  Purdue is at 85.95.  If we didn't have the long snapper (glad we have him, but it hurts our rankings), we'd have an average of 86.12.  I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a class ranked as high or higher than Purdue once we start getting a few more commits.

Depends on how Purdue finishes out the class in all honesty. The remaining targets they have are mostly high 3* and 4* guys so they could close strong down the stretch. Bell is the big one obviously. 

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Depends on how Purdue finishes out the class in all honesty. The remaining targets they have are mostly high 3* and 4* guys so they could close strong down the stretch. Bell is the big one obviously. 

I think Bell will go to PSU.  How many more is Purdue expected to take?

A day after our loss to OSU.... I love how the kid referred to IU.... as "THE" Indiana University.  When have we ever been known as "THE" Indiana University ? Proves to me what I have been saying in another thread....IU no longer is a place for kids who have no other place to go.

Also.. the OSU game proved to me, at least... we may have lost in the score.... however, won on so many other levels.  Kids all across the nation had to be saying... I want to be a part of that ! Was a time, when others, like Gunner Kiel went the other way. It's nice to see it no longer is that way for IU.

8 hours ago, milehiiu said:

A day after our loss to OSU.... I love how the kid referred to IU.... as "THE" Indiana University.  When have we ever been known as "THE" Indiana University ? Proves to me what I have been saying in another thread....IU no longer is a place for kids who have no other place to go.

Also.. the OSU game proved to me, at least... we may have lost in the score.... however, won on so many other levels.  Kids all across the nation had to be saying... I want to be a part of that ! Was a time, when others, like Gunner Kiel went the other way. It's nice to see it no longer is that way for IU.

Gunner Kiel?  Hows about guys like Rex Grossman and Jay Cutler?  Make no mistake about it, this state has some elite talent.  And out of state schools poach it in FB.  We need those kids at IU........sure we need to look elsewhere to fill out the roster.  But I feel we need to look in our own backyard first.

9 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Gunner Kiel should be our friendly reminder that this is college football, and they aren't Hoosiers until they sign their LOI.  How's that for a Monday buzz kill???  

To make up for my buzzkill comment above, here are the latest 247 and Rivals national/big ten team rankings for IU.  We'll see if they crack the ESPN top 40 which should be updated on Wednesday.  Long way to go here, but on pace for a best ever kind of class, at least since these kind of rankings have been kept.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/updated-indiana-football-recruiting-board/

14 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Gunner Kiel should be our friendly reminder that this is college football, and they aren't Hoosiers until they sign their LOI.  How's that for a Monday buzz kill???  

Stephens at PSU flipped off IU as well.  Wonder if he has enjoyed his time at PSU?

Love seeing IU flip one back to the state, this is exactly what the program needs.  Welcome Sampson!

39 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Stephens at PSU flipped off IU as well.  Wonder if he has enjoyed his time at PSU?

Love seeing IU flip one back to the state, this is exactly what the program needs.  Welcome Sampson!

I still cannot believe Steven's didn't transfer. 

11 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

Hopefully James, (Bell?) and others like them are leading a change in thinking that is if you actually want to play football rather than chase glamour -- then IU is a great destination.

52 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I am curious to know if Sampson & staff had any Intel in regards to Morgan's eventual fate? If Morgan was coming back, there would have been a potential log jam at RB next year.

Fair point, but theres no one on our roster that'll keep Sampson off the field. 

On 10/8/2018 at 7:25 AM, rico said:

Gunner Kiel?  Hows about guys like Rex Grossman and Jay Cutler?  Make no mistake about it, this state has some elite talent.  And out of state schools poach it in FB.  We need those kids at IU........sure we need to look elsewhere to fill out the roster.  But I feel we need to look in our own backyard first.

Unfortunately, the NE corner of Indiana has been either ignored or not recruited properly. The Ft. Wayne area has put out some outstanding talent and IU is not getting any of it. 

This year, there are 3 kids who have committed to B1G schools....none IU. For the second time in 4 years Ohio St. is taking a very highly rated kid --Austin Mack who starts for them now, and a kid named Craig Young who is going to be really good. Two OL from this area ( a position always of need for IU) have committed to Wisconsin and Michigan St. There have been kids also commit to Penn St., Northwestern, and Purdue. 

I know that the state of Indiana does not produce enough Division 1 talent to support any university. I agree with your comment that IU needs to recruit their backyard and get their fair share of in-state kids. I wonder how the program defines "backyard" though. It appears that it does not include the NE part of the state.

23 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Unfortunately, the NE corner of Indiana has been either ignored or not recruited properly. The Ft. Wayne area has put out some outstanding talent and IU is not getting any of it. 

This year, there are 3 kids who have committed to B1G schools....none IU. For the second time in 4 years Ohio St. is taking a very highly rated kid --Austin Mack who starts for them now, and a kid named Craig Young who is going to be really good. Two OL from this area ( a position always of need for IU) have committed to Wisconsin and Michigan St. There have been kids also commit to Penn St., Northwestern, and Purdue. 

I know that the state of Indiana does not produce enough Division 1 talent to support any university. I agree with your comment that IU needs to recruit their backyard and get their fair share of in-state kids. I wonder how the program defines "backyard" though. It appears that it does not include the NE part of the state.

Agree with everything you said there....the NE gets overlooked so often.  Fort Wayne in particular with football power houses like Snider, Dwenger, and Luers.  I still shake my head about Glen Steele from West Noble.  There is an abundance of talent in the area.

Archived