Neb. Post Game

Indykev

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 3Ballin said:

As for the Green/Newkirk debate, debacle....whatever you want to call it; I've said it all season....Greens' highs are much higher than Newkirks' and his lows are about the same level of "DOH!!!!!".  I wish Green woulda got the keys to the car all year. I don't necessarily think we would have a better record, but I think we would be better in the long run. 

Tonight though, after ROJO lollipopped that pass to Green that he let go between his legs, I wish CAM woulda yelled at the last 5 people on the bench and had them finish the game out. If that's all the more everyone's head was in this game at least get some guys on the floor who want to be there. 

We are going to be better because Archie has made him earn his mins. "You have to earn the right to be good"

When crunch time came, we folded.   Our PG's,Green and Newkirk, made 9 errors.  I thought CAM was going to have a stroke. 

Our passing was terrible.  We gave Nebraska a lot of fast break opportunities off the bad passes.  

We let them get 19 offensive rebounds.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

We are going to be better because Archie has made him earn his mins. "You have to earn the right to be good"

Agree, and I think it actually shows that Archie has a lot of belief in Green long term. He wouldn’t be so hard on him if he didn’t think Green had the potential to be really good. 

8 hours ago, bstall76 said:

Player MIN FGM FGA FTM FTA 3PM 3PA PTS OFFR DEFR REB AST TO STL BLK
Juwan Morgan 812 179 304 94 146 14 47 466 73 130 203 39 46 32 39
Robert Johnson 946 140 320 51 73 59 158 390 6 121 127 74 69 22 6
De'Ron Davis 282 56 91 32 64 0 0 144 27 37 64 16 12 12 22
Devonte Green 629 75 202 43 61 32 91 225 9 50 59 72 49 30 6
Josh Newkirk 644 67 175 40 51 27 86 201 10 50 60 74 52 14 7

For as good as many of us have said Green has been, his numbers are VERY close to those of Newkirk for the season.  This does not include stats from tonight.

One key item missing from this chart, imo. Newkirk is a Senior and Green a Sophomore. All other things being equal, those two extra years of experience should translate in better decision making and valuing possessions more. I give Green the benefit of the doubt as a second year player who is still learning.

9 hours ago, bstall76 said:

hard to impact the game in only 11 minutes.  he did have a couple turnovers though which is not the norm.  

In those minutes he fouled out, and got burned for easy layups and/or offensive boards. Plus not being out there playing his normal game of hustle and good D compounds it.

9 hours ago, rico said:

No comments on McBob?  Horrible game.

I definitely noticed his bad game.

Once Green made a couple of turnovers, he looked rattled.  I see too much momentum in his game.  When he’s on, he rolls.  When he’s off, he gets shell shocked and the bottom falls out.  I thought he was getting past it. 

With Newkirk controlling the ball, notice how the ball movement falls apart?  He’s a real liability, but I don’t know what we can do if Green is having another one of his episodes.  Crean did a nice job identifying a number of recruits, but Newkirk was not one of his better moments.  He’s frankly not good enough to play here, bless his heart.  

Justin Smith was great.  Just great.  He moves well on D too.  If he can clean up his handle and outside shot, watch out.  

Rob had too many TO’s but he was still a plus player overall. You can’t say that about any other guard.  Rob has that second semester senior year mojo and it’s clicking.  

The two Macs didn’t give us much at all.  Not a critique because I like what they’ve been giving us, but we are too delicate to have this many guys off. 

I thought the strategies were good.  That’s why Smith was so good.  Neb was overplaying the outside shot, and we had our bigs rolling to the bucket with the ball on the move.  

This team doesn’t have enough talent to just win regardless.  We have to be clicking on all cylinders.  We aren’t going to win unless Rob shows up.  He did with respect to scoring and D.   He was turnover prone but that’s just him and I gave up on his floor game long ago.  If the other guards are tight, it’s not as big of an issue.  It’s also not going to be a win unless another guard shows up (none did).  The inside scoring was nice, and has been consistent. 

It was a winnable game if we didn’t fritter it away.  

9 hours ago, bstall76 said:

Player MIN FGM FGA FTM FTA 3PM 3PA PTS OFFR DEFR REB AST TO STL BLK
Juwan Morgan 812 179 304 94 146 14 47 466 73 130 203 39 46 32 39
Robert Johnson 946 140 320 51 73 59 158 390 6 121 127 74 69 22 6
De'Ron Davis 282 56 91 32 64 0 0 144 27 37 64 16 12 12 22
Devonte Green 629 75 202 43 61 32 91 225 9 50 59 72 49 30 6
Josh Newkirk 644 67 175 40 51 27 86 201 10 50 60 74 52 14 7

For as good as many of us have said Green has been, his numbers are VERY close to those of Newkirk for the season.  This does not include stats from tonight.

Would be curious to see their B1G only stats.

6 minutes ago, rico said:

I watched the game again this morning(unfortunately) and I want to say shame on the BTN for showing all the "Cornjerkers" sideline antics.

I did not watch the game, but my wife did. She noticed it and she said they were obnoxious......

Pretty sure CAM wouldn't allow those kind of antics on his sideline.

15 minutes ago, rico said:

I watched the game again this morning(unfortunately) and I want to say shame on the BTN for showing all the "Cornjerkers" sideline antics.

"Cornjerkers" reallly.  Did you just make that up or is that what they really call them?

What a bunch of losers.

6 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I did not watch the game, but my wife did. She noticed it and she said they were obnoxious......

Pretty sure CAM wouldn't allow those kind of antics on his sideline.

Did Archie give Miles the “Crean Special” blow by handshake?  The broadcast cut to the handshake line when there was still time left on the clock and Archie was already out of the frame.  If that was the case, good.

37 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Once Green made a couple of turnovers, he looked rattled.  I see too much momentum in his game.  When he’s on, he rolls.  When he’s off, he gets shell shocked and the bottom falls out.  I thought he was getting past it. 

With Newkirk controlling the ball, notice how the ball movement falls apart?  He’s a real liability, but I don’t know what we can do if Green is having another one of his episodes.  Crean did a nice job identifying a number of recruits, but Newkirk was not one of his better moments.  He’s frankly not good enough to play here, bless his heart.  

Justin Smith was great.  Just great.  He moves well on D too.  If he can clean up his handle and outside shot, watch out.  

Rob had too many TO’s but he was still a plus player overall. You can’t say that about any other guard.  Rob has that second semester senior year mojo and it’s clicking.  

The two Macs didn’t give us much at all.  Not a critique because I like what they’ve been giving us, but we are too delicate to have this many guys off. 

I thought the strategies were good.  That’s why Smith was so good.  Neb was overplaying the outside shot, and we had our bigs rolling to the bucket with the ball on the move.  

This team doesn’t have enough talent to just win regardless.  We have to be clicking on all cylinders.  We aren’t going to win unless Rob shows up.  He did with respect to scoring and D.   He was turnover prone but that’s just him and I gave up on his floor game long ago.  If the other guards are tight, it’s not as big of an issue.  It’s also not going to be a win unless another guard shows up (none did).  The inside scoring was nice, and has been consistent. 

It was a winnable game if we didn’t fritter it away.  

Unfortunately I’m starting to think we might have a “Good Troy/Bad Troy” situation on our hands with Green.  Not sure if we’re ever going to be able to count on him to be consistent.

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Unfortunately I’m starting to think we might have a “Good Troy/Bad Troy” situation on our hands with Green.  Not sure if we’re ever going to be able to count on him to be consistent.

Started calling him good Troy / bad Troy at the beginning of this season. Totally agree...unfortunately you could argue he can single handedly help or hurt our team the most right now.

6 minutes ago, slojoe said:

"Cornjerkers" reallly.  Did you just make that up or is that what they really call them?

What a bunch of losers.

I don't know what they call them.....But there is a HS in Illinois that has that nickname.  I just felt it was appropriate in this case!!!!

12 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Did Archie give Miles the “Crean Special” blow by handshake?  The broadcast cut to the handshake line when there was still time left on the clock and Archie was already out of the frame.  If that was the case, good.

Didn't see handshake but considering Archie's post game presser lasted about 125 seconds I can say he was probably just pissed off how his guards kept making dumb decisions. Especially as PG himself...valuing the ball is paramount to anything else he sees on the court. 

I like Green. And his potential. But next year we can't have great game terrible game from starting PG. Hope Green gets that or Phinisee will take the reigns sooner rather than later.

14 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

That is accurate at this stage. Hoping he grows more consistent. 

Archived