Neb. Post Game

Indykev

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, addictedtoIU said:

I haven't given up on him yet. Unless he transfers at the end of season, there's always a chance for him to come along. He'll make progress during the off season.

I hope you are right, but I really think CAM was telling us something when he said either pre-season or early in the season he has too much NY City in his game right now.  

6 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

Anyone that thinks Green will be the starting PG next year is delusional.  I thought it was possible after his good game stretch, but as they say about shooters, water always finds it level, and I think we know Green's.  

I really hope we get a grad transfer pg to help Phinesse 

He had a bad game, but this is probably an overreaction.  He's not as bad as he was tonight.  With experience (in this coach's system), he'll improve and he has giant potential.

5 minutes ago, madmax said:

I'm sure I'm overreacting, but this had to be one of the worst games of Newkirk's careers, right? I felt like he gave us absolutely nothing other than stagnant offense and turnovers. Disappointing loss.

Maybe.  Some overreaction on Devonte Green earlier, but with a 5th year senior?  Yeah, he really ought to be better by now.  If I were Archie, I wouldn't let him shoot anything but layups.  He's been terrible from deep and he's a turnover machine especially considering his experience.  I hate to criticize players, but here's one I'll make an exception for.  Inexcusable for a 5th-year senior.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

He had a bad game, but this is probably an overreaction.  He's not as bad as he was tonight.  With experience (in this coach's system), he'll improve and he has giant potential.

Maybe, I have been know to overreact.  I just don't know if I see him as a player that I am willing to give the keys to a team to and so go lead us to victory.  He still makes some really bad decisions in passing and shot selection.  He would be a nice spot back up pg, or I can see him doing very well off the ball next year where all he has to do is look to score most of the time.

2 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

We go as our guards go. That’s the story all year. Beat ourselves with horrible turnovers. 

Bingo. Green has been playing great recently, and our offense was looking much better. Tonight he stunk and so did the offense.

I thought Johnson was fine tonight though. Not great, not terrible. 

1 minute ago, bstall76 said:

Maybe, I have been know to overreact.  I just don't know if I see him as a player that I am willing to give the keys to a team to and so go lead us to victory.  He still makes some really bad decisions in passing and shot selection.  He would be a nice spot back up pg, or I can see him doing very well off the ball next year where all he has to do is look to score most of the time.

I think he has great potential and I give him a pass as a soph playing his second completely different system.  I'm much more disappointed in a 5th year senior playing terribly.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I think he has great potential and I give him a pass as a soph playing his second completely different system.  I'm much more disappointed in a 5th year senior playing terribly.

Just shake my head about Newkirk.  Wish he would have stayed at Pitt.

Player MIN FGM FGA FTM FTA 3PM 3PA PTS OFFR DEFR REB AST TO STL BLK
Juwan Morgan 812 179 304 94 146 14 47 466 73 130 203 39 46 32 39
Robert Johnson 946 140 320 51 73 59 158 390 6 121 127 74 69 22 6
De'Ron Davis 282 56 91 32 64 0 0 144 27 37 64 16 12 12 22
Devonte Green 629 75 202 43 61 32 91 225 9 50 59 72 49 30 6
Josh Newkirk 644 67 175 40 51 27 86 201 10 50 60 74 52 14 7

For as good as many of us have said Green has been, his numbers are VERY close to those of Newkirk for the season.  This does not include stats from tonight.

Team obviously still isn’t ready to beat a good team, especially on the road.  4 game win streak against the conference bottom feeders a little bit of fool’s gold.  Credit to Nebraska, they’re better than I thought they were — totally locked us up on defense.  But man, it was tough to watch those jackasses on the bench celebrate as we threw the game away.  Miles is and always has been a punk.

Still have a chance to beat OSU to finish out the season, I’m sure Archie will be up their asses and have them ready to go.

43 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

Player MIN FGM FGA FTM FTA 3PM 3PA PTS OFFR DEFR REB AST TO STL BLK
Juwan Morgan 812 179 304 94 146 14 47 466 73 130 203 39 46 32 39
Robert Johnson 946 140 320 51 73 59 158 390 6 121 127 74 69 22 6
De'Ron Davis 282 56 91 32 64 0 0 144 27 37 64 16 12 12 22
Devonte Green 629 75 202 43 61 32 91 225 9 50 59 72 49 30 6
Josh Newkirk 644 67 175 40 51 27 86 201 10 50 60 74 52 14 7

For as good as many of us have said Green has been, his numbers are VERY close to those of Newkirk for the season.  This does not include stats from tonight.

He's at least trending the right direction (this game the exception) and he's got three years less experience.

I would also argue that given the fact that he's gotten less minutes than Newkirk, I'll bet if Archie would have had it all to do over again, Newkirk would get a lot less minutes and Green would get more.  Experience is a great teacher for a soph. Not so much for a 5th year senior.

As for the Green/Newkirk debate, debacle....whatever you want to call it; I've said it all season....Greens' highs are much higher than Newkirks' and his lows are about the same level of "DOH!!!!!".  I wish Green woulda got the keys to the car all year. I don't necessarily think we would have a better record, but I think we would be better in the long run. 

Tonight though, after ROJO lollipopped that pass to Green that he let go between his legs, I wish CAM woulda yelled at the last 5 people on the bench and had them finish the game out. If that's all the more everyone's head was in this game at least get some guys on the floor who want to be there. 

Archived