Crean Debated Leaving Year Prior to Ouster

37 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I don't know....I find it hard to believe that he was going to walk out the year before he got canned. He wanted to be here forever. 

That was my first reaction too, but then take a step back and remember he was getting absolutely hammered for about a year and a half before the team turned things around the second half of that season. I believe that was the season where there were rumors that Alabama (school like that, can't remember) was reaching out to him or had him on a short list. So, maybe it wasn't as far as him having an offer or interviewing, but it's entirely possible his representatives were hearing from schools and Crean and his wife were having general conversations on whether or not to pursue any of them. 

I don't doubt he considered it.  A lot of IU fans were verbally abusive to Crean and his family.  Protest if you want, but I remember being embarrassed at what I read in forums, heard chanted at ballgames and saw in numerous amateur blogs (and even a fire Tom Crean website).  College coaches have to be tough as nails to deal with the crap they get from the fanbase, and frankly, IU's fanbase is sometimes barely better than UK's.

(I'm speaking how the coach and players are treated...not general basketball knowledge where IU fans will always be miles ahead of those toothless hilljacks.)

Crean and his family took plenty of heat so I have zero doubt it was a consideration. However...Crean doesn't lose press conferences/media obligations so this is right in line for him.

I will always like Crean. Wish him well when he gets hired this spring. No ill will regarding this article. It's expected. You have to move on and start the sales/recruiting process. 

I see Kent Sterling has already taken his pot shot. I hope most thank Crean for taking over the biggest dumpster fire program in the 21st Century. Thank him for 2 Big 10 Titles. Thank him for doing things clean and we all move on. 

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Crean and his family took plenty of heat so I have zero doubt it was a consideration. However...Crean doesn't lose press conferences/media obligations so this is right in line for him.

I will always like Crean. Wish him well when he gets hired this spring. No ill will regarding this article. It's expected. You have to move on and start the sales/recruiting process. 

I see Kent Sterling has already taken his pot shot. I hope most thank Crean for taking over the biggest dumpster fire program in the 21st Century. Thank him for 2 Big 10 Titles. Thank him for doing things clean and we all move on. 

Great post.  Couldn’t agree more.

There were coaches unwilling to take over the dumpster fire that Kelvin Sampson left us with. Crean , as far as I am concerned will be forever memorialized for his willingness to take on.... at the time... one of most difficult tasks in all of college basketball.  To rebuild a legendary basketball program, basically with nothing to build upon. And though in the end, he might not have brought IU to the promised land (a NC),  he did bring us to more than just one sweet 16.

I posted this before.  I felt that once Crean stopped his twitter account, and was not doing the numbers of interviews, he had done previously,  that he was feeling the burn.  Keeping in mind that he had gone through a ton, what with players being arrested for driving drunk, down the wrong side of the street.... a player seriously injured being bounced off the hood of another player's car....guys getting caught for smoking marijuana in a dorm (no less), his daughter being embarrassed in class by her professor, and his son being heckled in school. Seeking6 is correct. Tom and family went through a lot.  IMHO, more than they deserved.

There's only so much a man can take.  So it would not surprise me at all..... considering what he went through.... that he would consider leaving IU.  And I would not have blamed him, either.

Lastly.... even after being fired by IU, and going  through all that he and his family endured.... I have yet to hear Tom Crean utter one bad word about Indiana University.  Much unlike another IU HC who also got fired years before Coach Crean. 

PS.  Could not read the article.  Said I had exceeded my number of views.... though I had not even tried before the link was posted.  Thank you Indy Star.  So I don't know what was really printed in the story.

26 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Me thinks the L'ville Cardinals may disagree.....

Certainly the mess Bliss left at Baylor, with a player murdering a teammate was worse as well 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

There were coaches unwilling to take over the dumpster fire that Kelvin Sampson left us with. Crean , as far as I am concerned will be forever memorialized for his willingness to take on.... at the time... one of most difficult tasks in all of college basketball.  To rebuild a legendary basketball program, basically with nothing to build upon. And though in the end, he might not have brought IU to the promised land (a NC),  he did bring us to more than just one sweet 16.

I posted this before.  I felt that once Crean stopped his twitter account, and was not doing the numbers of interviews, he had done previously,  that he was feeling the burn.  Keeping in mind that he had gone through a ton, what with players being arrested for driving drunk, down the wrong side of the street.... a player seriously injured being bounced off the hood of another player's car....guys getting caught for smoking marijuana in a dorm (no less), his daughter being embarrassed in class by her professor, and his son being heckled in school. Seeking6 is correct. Tom and family went through a lot.  IMHO, more than they deserved.

There's only so much a man can take.  So it would not surprise me at all..... considering what he went through.... that he would consider leaving IU.  And I would not have blamed him, either.

Lastly.... even after being fired by IU, and going  through all that he and his family endured.... I have yet to hear Tom Crean utter one bad word about Indiana University.  Much unlike another IU HC who also got fired years before Coach Crean. 

PS.  Could not read the article.  Said I had exceeded my number of views.... though I had not even tried before the link was posted.  Thank you Indy Star.  So I don't know what was really printed in the story.

Mile, go to Google and type the headline in and you can read the article. I do that all the time as I always use up my allotted number of articles.  

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Ding...ding...ding.....we got a winning post here. 

17 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I agree with most of what you posted and I completely why he would consider leaving but ultimately decide not to. I remember all of the incidents that you mentioned except the one in bold concerning his daughter, could you remind me of that one?

5 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

I agree with most of what you posted and I completely why he would consider leaving but ultimately decide not to. I remember all of the incidents that you mentioned except the one in bold concerning his daughter, could you remind me of that one?

An Indiana professor told Tom Crean's daughter he was fired as a joke and the whole class cheered 

1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

From discussions I had with some pretty connected Alabama alumni, there was definitely some mutual interest  between Crean and Bama. Not sure how far it got, but it was discussed on sports radio here in Birmingham at the time. 

Rumors floating around this week, the UGA is very interested in Crean.

Archived