Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Sign in to follow this  
CauseThatsMyDJ

Crean Debated Leaving Year Prior to Ouster

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I don't know....I find it hard to believe that he was going to walk out the year before he got canned. He wanted to be here forever. 

That was my first reaction too, but then take a step back and remember he was getting absolutely hammered for about a year and a half before the team turned things around the second half of that season. I believe that was the season where there were rumors that Alabama (school like that, can't remember) was reaching out to him or had him on a short list. So, maybe it wasn't as far as him having an offer or interviewing, but it's entirely possible his representatives were hearing from schools and Crean and his wife were having general conversations on whether or not to pursue any of them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think he really debated leaving. He really was just looking back and thinking he should have left. Of course any coach should have left the year before they were fired, but I too seem to remember Alabama and potential more schools as a graceful exit for him.

Edited by cybergates

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough to walk away from a HC gig at one of the blue blood schools, regardless of how this were going at the time.  I think Crean gets too much blame for many things, but he had maxed out his ability to consistently achieve at a high level.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't doubt he considered it.  A lot of IU fans were verbally abusive to Crean and his family.  Protest if you want, but I remember being embarrassed at what I read in forums, heard chanted at ballgames and saw in numerous amateur blogs (and even a fire Tom Crean website).  College coaches have to be tough as nails to deal with the crap they get from the fanbase, and frankly, IU's fanbase is sometimes barely better than UK's.

(I'm speaking how the coach and players are treated...not general basketball knowledge where IU fans will always be miles ahead of those toothless hilljacks.)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crean and his family took plenty of heat so I have zero doubt it was a consideration. However...Crean doesn't lose press conferences/media obligations so this is right in line for him.

I will always like Crean. Wish him well when he gets hired this spring. No ill will regarding this article. It's expected. You have to move on and start the sales/recruiting process. 

I see Kent Sterling has already taken his pot shot. I hope most thank Crean for taking over the biggest dumpster fire program in the 21st Century. Thank him for 2 Big 10 Titles. Thank him for doing things clean and we all move on. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Crean and his family took plenty of heat so I have zero doubt it was a consideration. However...Crean doesn't lose press conferences/media obligations so this is right in line for him.

I will always like Crean. Wish him well when he gets hired this spring. No ill will regarding this article. It's expected. You have to move on and start the sales/recruiting process. 

I see Kent Sterling has already taken his pot shot. I hope most thank Crean for taking over the biggest dumpster fire program in the 21st Century. Thank him for 2 Big 10 Titles. Thank him for doing things clean and we all move on. 

Great post.  Couldn’t agree more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were coaches unwilling to take over the dumpster fire that Kelvin Sampson left us with. Crean , as far as I am concerned will be forever memorialized for his willingness to take on.... at the time... one of most difficult tasks in all of college basketball.  To rebuild a legendary basketball program, basically with nothing to build upon. And though in the end, he might not have brought IU to the promised land (a NC),  he did bring us to more than just one sweet 16.

I posted this before.  I felt that once Crean stopped his twitter account, and was not doing the numbers of interviews, he had done previously,  that he was feeling the burn.  Keeping in mind that he had gone through a ton, what with players being arrested for driving drunk, down the wrong side of the street.... a player seriously injured being bounced off the hood of another player's car....guys getting caught for smoking marijuana in a dorm (no less), his daughter being embarrassed in class by her professor, and his son being heckled in school. Seeking6 is correct. Tom and family went through a lot.  IMHO, more than they deserved.

There's only so much a man can take.  So it would not surprise me at all..... considering what he went through.... that he would consider leaving IU.  And I would not have blamed him, either.

Lastly.... even after being fired by IU, and going  through all that he and his family endured.... I have yet to hear Tom Crean utter one bad word about Indiana University.  Much unlike another IU HC who also got fired years before Coach Crean. 

 

PS.  Could not read the article.  Said I had exceeded my number of views.... though I had not even tried before the link was posted.  Thank you Indy Star.  So I don't know what was really printed in the story.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I see Kent Sterling has already taken his pot shot. I hope most thank Crean for taking over the biggest dumpster fire program in the 21st Century. Thank him for 2 Big 10 Titles. Thank him for doing things clean and we all move on. 

Me thinks the L'ville Cardinals may disagree.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Certainly the mess Bliss left at Baylor, with a player murdering a teammate was worse as well 

Yeah that was bad.  Resulted in one of, if not the longest show cause orders ever issued by the NCAA.  Good memory !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

There were coaches unwilling to take over the dumpster fire that Kelvin Sampson left us with. Crean , as far as I am concerned will be forever memorialized for his willingness to take on.... at the time... one of most difficult tasks in all of college basketball.  To rebuild a legendary basketball program, basically with nothing to build upon. And though in the end, he might not have brought IU to the promised land (a NC),  he did bring us to more than just one sweet 16.

I posted this before.  I felt that once Crean stopped his twitter account, and was not doing the numbers of interviews, he had done previously,  that he was feeling the burn.  Keeping in mind that he had gone through a ton, what with players being arrested for driving drunk, down the wrong side of the street.... a player seriously injured being bounced off the hood of another player's car....guys getting caught for smoking marijuana in a dorm (no less), his daughter being embarrassed in class by her professor, and his son being heckled in school. Seeking6 is correct. Tom and family went through a lot.  IMHO, more than they deserved.

There's only so much a man can take.  So it would not surprise me at all..... considering what he went through.... that he would consider leaving IU.  And I would not have blamed him, either.

Lastly.... even after being fired by IU, and going  through all that he and his family endured.... I have yet to hear Tom Crean utter one bad word about Indiana University.  Much unlike another IU HC who also got fired years before Coach Crean. 

 

PS.  Could not read the article.  Said I had exceeded my number of views.... though I had not even tried before the link was posted.  Thank you Indy Star.  So I don't know what was really printed in the story.

Mile, go to Google and type the headline in and you can read the article. I do that all the time as I always use up my allotted number of articles.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Crean and his family took plenty of heat so I have zero doubt it was a consideration. However...Crean doesn't lose press conferences/media obligations so this is right in line for him.

I will always like Crean. Wish him well when he gets hired this spring. No ill will regarding this article. It's expected. You have to move on and start the sales/recruiting process. 

I see Kent Sterling has already taken his pot shot. I hope most thank Crean for taking over the biggest dumpster fire program in the 21st Century. Thank him for 2 Big 10 Titles. Thank him for doing things clean and we all move on. 

Ding...ding...ding.....we got a winning post here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jefftheref said:

Mile, go to Google and type the headline in and you can read the article. I do that all the time as I always use up my allotted number of articles.  

Thanks JTR.  Will do.  But I never used up my alloted reads.  Thanks Indy Star.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, milehiiu said:

 

I posted this before.  I felt that once Crean stopped his twitter account, and was not doing the numbers of interviews, he had done previously,  that he was feeling the burn.  Keeping in mind that he had gone through a ton, what with players being arrested for driving drunk, down the wrong side of the street.... a player seriously injured being bounced off the hood of another player's car....guys getting caught for smoking marijuana in a dorm (no less), his daughter being embarrassed in class by her professor, and his son being heckled in school. Seeking6 is correct. Tom and family went through a lot.  IMHO, more than they deserved.

There's only so much a man can take.  So it would not surprise me at all..... considering what he went through.... that he would consider leaving IU.  And I would not have blamed him, either.

I agree with most of what you posted and I completely why he would consider leaving but ultimately decide not to. I remember all of the incidents that you mentioned except the one in bold concerning his daughter, could you remind me of that one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

I agree with most of what you posted and I completely why he would consider leaving but ultimately decide not to. I remember all of the incidents that you mentioned except the one in bold concerning his daughter, could you remind me of that one?

An Indiana professor told Tom Crean's daughter he was fired as a joke and the whole class cheered 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From discussions I had with some pretty connected Alabama alumni, there was definitely some mutual interest  between Crean and Bama. Not sure how far it got, but it was discussed on sports radio here in Birmingham at the time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hoosierinbham said:

From discussions I had with some pretty connected Alabama alumni, there was definitely some mutual interest  between Crean and Bama. Not sure how far it got, but it was discussed on sports radio here in Birmingham at the time. 

Rumors floating around this week, the UGA is very interested in Crean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×