Ohio State Pregame Thread

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You should go tell Archie that he needs to stop starting Green over Newkirk because Newkirk is so much better, lol.  Also funny that you claim you don’t feel the need to trash a kid, then proceed to trash Green.  But I get it, always sucks to be wrong.

Newkirk does have some good moments. IMO, Josh's biggest strength is his ability to penetrate. He's pretty strong and pretty fast. The issue is that he starts having success with that, then thinks he's Kyrie. Green has his great moments too. Green can shoot a little, and he defends better...he's easily the better player. The problem with both point guards is that their bad moments are baaaad. Instead of our PG's having just "eh" games, they have bad games. They actively hurt the team. It's one thing to not score, it's one thing to not get any assists...it's a whole other thing to have 6 bad turnovers. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Then.... at least Priller would be open. How great would it be if "The Thriller" got the first two points of the game ?

IMO, this is no time to waste even 1 possession. We lost by one possession at Illinois, won by one possession at Wisconsin, lost by one possession vs MSU, won by one possession against ND. The first one is as important as the last one.

Lose this game, and we have the potential to be post-season outsiders. 

22 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Newkirk does have some good moments. IMO, Josh's biggest strength is his ability to penetrate. He's pretty strong and pretty fast. The issue is that he starts having success with that, then thinks he's Kyrie. Green has his great moments too. Green can shoot a little, and he defends better...he's easily the better player. The problem with both point guards is that their bad moments are baaaad. Instead of our PG's having just "eh" games, they have bad games. They actively hurt the team. It's one thing to not score, it's one thing to not get any assists...it's a whole other thing to have 6 bad turnovers. 

Definitely have both been really bad at times, and neither have been a consistent option for us at the point.  I would say their lows have been probably equally bad, but Green’s highs have been much higher than Newkirk’s highs.  And over the past month, there’s really no comparison as to who’s played better.

31 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

IMO, this is no time to waste even 1 possession. We lost by one possession at Illinois, won by one possession at Wisconsin, lost by one possession vs MSU, won by one possession against ND. The first one is as important as the last one.

You sound like Coach Crean.  LOL.  I once called into his radio show to ask him about starting all his Seniors on Senior night.  And he shot that idea down in nothing flat.... saying he would always play the guys that gave him the best chance to win.

Having said that... guys like Roy Williams and others have no issue with at least starting Seniors on Senior night to thank them for four years of hard work.

5 hours ago, cohete15 said:

I sure hope none of you are serious regarding Priller. 

For a couple of minutes? I'm absolutely serious.  Have you ever seen him play like a disaster when put in?  He's limited, but he's not a turnover machine chucking up bricks. At least Priller knows his role.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

For a couple of minutes? I'm absolutely serious.  Have you ever seen him play like a disaster when put in?  He's limited, but he's not a turnover machine chucking up bricks. At least Priller knows his role.

Agreed.  May be the best screener on the team.   One minute. 

16 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

So now, after one bad game, you're ready to use, and even potentially start, the end of the bench? If he is so capable, why not use him for more than a couple minutes? 

The one time I've seen him play meaningful minutes, he had 4 fouls in 5 minutes. That's a disaster. 

The guy's reward for "sticking it out" for four years is that he dressed for every game. He has a conference championship. He got his tuition paid for. His name is chanted in every win. He's fine to keep around. But in no way should he touch the floor unless the game is decided. 

In my opinion, and Herm Edwards'...you play to win the game.

33 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

So now, after one bad game, you're ready to use, and even potentially start, the end of the bench? If he is so capable, why not use him for more than a couple minutes? 

The one time I've seen him play meaningful minutes, he had 4 fouls in 5 minutes. That's a disaster. 

The guy's reward for "sticking it out" for four years is that he dressed for every game. He has a conference championship. He got his tuition paid for. His name is chanted in every win. He's fine to keep around. But in no way should he touch the floor unless the game is decided. 

Tim Priller isn't going to lose you the game in the first two minutes.  Look at the hole IU started in at Iowa.  I think it's a nice gesture and I don't believe for a minute it would be the deciding factor between winning and losing.

It's a moot point as it doesn't appear that Archie historically starts the seniors and I'm not going to second guess the coach, but if I were making the decisions, it wouldn't bother me at all to do it.

38 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Lighten up Francis! I say let the kid start, he WONT lose us the game in the first couple minutes.

4 hours ago, cohete15 said:

When did we win at UW

56 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The kid deserves a couple of minutes.  Every team gets their scholly players time on senior night. Every team.  It would be a crime if he did not play.

Why does he deserve minutes? What's he done? I've been pro-Priller in the past. He has his role. It's not a role that involves meaningful minutes. No reason to change it tomorrow with seeding and post-season tournament up for grabs.

How quickly y'all forget that time Tim shredded that middle school team in Texas.  

I personally would not be opposed to holding onto our secret weapon until tourney time, but this victory may get us in the nit, plus it's senior night.  Let him start.  Who knows, he does seem to have a knack for the ball.  Didn't Roth hit a couple of quick threes on senior night?

8 hours ago, cohete15 said:

Why does he deserve minutes? What's he done? 

I assume he's been there every day for practice for 4 years.  Players that give their best, but are not good enough to get the glory that comes with playing are still members of the team, and should have their moment.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I assume he's been there every day for practice for 4 years.  Players that give their best, but are not good enough to get the glory that comes with playing are still members of the team, and should have their moment.

And those moments come at the end of decided games. It’s not like he’s never the floor. 

Archived