Ohio State Pregame Thread

When: Friday, February 23rd at 8pm ET on FS1

KenPom: Ohio State 70-67, 39% chance of IU win

ESPN: 33% chance of IU victory

Vegas: Ohio State -2

We know who OSU is at this point. They have a favorite for BTPOY in Keita Bates-Diop, along with three other double figure scorers in Jae'Sean Tate, CJ Jackson and Kaleb Wesson. They also have Kam Williams shooting 44% from three. They have the talent advantage...we have senior night in Assembly Hall.

Key Stats

IU

image.png.9db794d492169074acd3ec58acc289da.png

OSU

image.png.50df46fabed098538202ce1b6728dcd7.png

In conference play, OSU has been better both offensively and defensively, as they have the #3 offense and #1 defense. They don't turn the other team over a lot, which should help our mistake prone guards. That's really our only area of advantage. They shoot it better, give up a lower shooting percentage, turn the ball over less, are a better rebounding team (especially defensively, where they are #1 in the league), and send teams to the foul line less.

It will take our best game to win this one, and some Assembly Hall magic.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Freddie can stay out of foul trouble, Wesson will be held in check. I don’t care about KBD. We just need to shut down one of their secondary options and we will win.

Let’s not forget, we played them on short rest, after Purdue, while they had 5 days of prep. And we played them even in the 2nd half. 

I’m hoping to catch IU +4

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

I predict some senior night magic.  IU wins and Hartman has a good game.

I'm just cringing at the idea of Newkirk starting.  I'm honestly not nearly as afraid of Tim Priller.

To be honest, I thought Priller should have got some minutes against the Cornjerkers.

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Interesting question...did Archie start his seniors on senior night at Dayton?

I wondered that as I posted.  Archie is all business enough to buck tradition and not give seniors a token start, but my guess is, we see the seniors for at least a couple of minutes.

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I wondered that as I posted.  Archie is all business enough to buck tradition and not give seniors a token start, but my guess is, we see the seniors for at least a couple of minutes.

I took a look at last year. Archie started his normal starters on senior night...but that organically included his four non-walk on seniors. He did have two walk-on seniors that didn't play at all.

Going back to 15-16, he only had two seniors. One only got spot minutes in normal games, and he did not start on senior night. The other was a regular starter.

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Priller should start.  Better to hsve him out there early than be forced to play him late in a close game.

Priller may be limited but I don't recall him making poor decisions on the floor.  I think the kid deserves a couple of minutes out of the chute for his willingness to stick around and do what was asked of him.

18 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Priller may be limited but I don't recall him making poor decisions on the floor.  I think the kid deserves a couple of minutes out of the chute for his willingness to stick around and do what was asked of him.

He played well last year at PU when he got a chance to play meaningful minutes

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

No way Archie starts Newkirk in this one.  Watching Archie’s reaction after the Nebraska game, Newkirk should be thanking his lucky stars he’s still alive to see this senior night.

If Newkirk is lucky to be alive after that game what's Green? I think we all need to hope and pray Phinesse is better than his rating and can start as a freshmen because as bad as Newkirk has been, Green hasn't been any better. Both show short bursts of greatness surrounded by long lulls of palm in face, where's my whiskey performances.

21 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

If Newkirk is lucky to be alive after that game what's Green? I think we all need to hope and pray Phinesse is better than his rating and can start as a freshmen because as bad as Newkirk has been, Green hasn't been any better. Both show short bursts of greatness surrounded by long lulls of palm in face, where's my whiskey performances.

Haha sorry, your love for your boy Newkirk hasn’t panned out.  Newkirk hasn’t shown any bursts of greatness for the past month.  Green has been inconsistent, but he’s been much, much better than Newkirk.  I’m sure Josh appreciates your unwavering support for him though.

7 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Haha sorry, your love for your boy Newkirk hasn’t panned out.  Newkirk hasn’t shown any bursts of greatness for the past month.  Green has been inconsistent, but he’s been much, much better than Newkirk.  I’m sure Josh appreciates your unwavering support for him though.

lol? Ok? I won't apologize for supporting our players. I don't feel the need to trash a kid because he's having a bad stretch. We don't beat Penn St without Newkirk so there's that. Green hasn't been better than Newkirk. Stats dont lie and their numbers are the same throughout the year. You hate Newkirk, I get it but that doesn't make Green better or change his production/stat lines. You cherry pick games to prove your ill advised point and then conventionality gloss over performances like the other night when Green goes for 4pts and 6 turnovers.

8 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

lol? Ok? I won't apologize for supporting our players. I don't feel the need to trash a kid because he's having a bad stretch. We don't beat Penn St without Newkirk so there's that. Green hasn't been better than Newkirk. Stats dont lie and their numbers are the same throughout the year. You hate Newkirk, I get it but that doesn't make Green better or change his production/stat lines. You cherry pick games to prove your ill advised point and then conventionality gloss over performances like the other night when Green goes for 4pts and 6 turnovers.

Devonte Green has been unquestionably, objectively better when you factor out cupcake season.

image.thumb.png.1ac8d8026ce92443a1986de1a0f0a105.png

19 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

You should go tell Archie that he needs to stop starting Green over Newkirk because Newkirk is so much better, lol.  Also funny that you claim you don’t feel the need to trash a kid, then proceed to trash Green.  But I get it, always sucks to be wrong.

Archived