Ohio State Pregame Thread

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I assume he's been there every day for practice for 4 years.  Players that give their best, but are not good enough to get the glory that comes with playing are still members of the team, and should have their moment.

At least what he hasn't done is get a bunch of other non-players to form a group that tries to be funny after every big play. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Hoosrnight said:

Lighten up Francis! I say let the kid start, he WONT lose us the game in the first couple minutes.

You can't win the game in the 1st few minutes but you can lose it. IU's bad starts have lost several games for them this season. I agree with you that I don't think Priller would lose the game for us in the first few minutes, but it is a possibility. Also depends on how Priller feels about it. He may not even want to get a ceremonial start to only get pulled in a couple minutes, possibly to the detriment of the team.

Everyone is acting like if we win this game we going to make the Dance.  The only way we make the Dance is if we win the BTT, and since we have never done that, the odds are very low that we do.  Let the Seniors plays some minutes either at the beginning or throughout the game.  Win or Lose we're going to the NIT.  I don't think we win this game anyways, so might as well let the fans see Priller the Thriller!

4 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Everyone is acting like if we win this game we going to make the Dance.  The only way we make the Dance is if we win the BTT, and since we have never done that, the odds are very low that we do.  Let the Seniors plays some minutes either at the beginning or throughout the game.  Win or Lose we're going to the NIT.  I don't think we win this game anyways, so might as well let the fans see Priller the Thriller!

The NIT is definitely not a sure thing at this point.

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Who thinks we are going to make the Dance?

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

The NIT is definitely not a sure thing at this point.

Exactly.   Especially since any mid to low major conference regular season champ that doesn't win their conference tournament gets an automatic NIT bid.  There are usually 4-6 of those every year leaving 26-28 NIT spots.  We have to win tonight and maybe even win one or two in NY to make the NIT.  

10 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Exactly.   Especially since any mid to low major conference regular season champ that doesn't win their conference tournament gets an automatic NIT bid.  There are usually 4-6 of those every year leaving 26-28 NIT spots.  We have to win tonight and maybe even win one or two in NY to make the NIT.  

Making the NIT and making a deep run in it, could be a great thing for the continued practice, additional games, and development of returning players.

3 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I actually think it is more like: win and we’re going to the NIT or lose and we are outside of tournament play all together.

4 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

We're currently projected as a 6 seed, we would have to drop alot of places to get kicked out of the NIT for losing to a top 20 ranked team.  Let the Seniors play and enjoy the game.

This one? http://www.nycbuckets.com/current-nit-bracketology/

Problem with NIT bracketology is there are 10 teams listed on the bubble not in the bracket. That alone is enough to potentially bump us out of the tournament. Plus as someone pointed out earlier, small conference regular season winners who don't win their tournament and make the NCAA get auto bids to NIT potentially removing additional spots (6 listed here but who knows how many it could really end up as). I don't think the 6th seed projection is airtight.

I'm all for honoring seniors, and not even saying I'm necessarily opposed to starting them, but with that said CAM has to do whatever he can to build momentum heading into this offseason, and winning this game could absolutely play into that. There's a big difference in heading into the BTT having won 5 of your last 6 including a top 25 win, as opposed to on a two-game losing streak.

Archie needs every ounce of momentum right now, and could really use a top 25 win. If that means playing the game as normal then I wouldn't fault him. 

I could see starting the seniors as a uniting moment for the game.  Talk about winning one for the seniors.  Talk about how the seniors are going to start, and they're going to go out there and get us a big lead, yada, yada, yada.  It could be a rallying moment to get everyone fired up.

On the other hand, if the rest of the team doesn't like the seniors or don't think they've earned it, it could be a detriment and upset people that they aren't starting.  Impossible to tell how it could work.

10 minutes ago, cybergates said:

This one? http://www.nycbuckets.com/current-nit-bracketology/

Problem with NIT bracketology is there are 10 teams listed on the bubble not in the bracket. That alone is enough to potentially bump us out of the tournament. Plus as someone pointed out earlier, small conference regular season winners who don't win their tournament and make the NCAA get auto bids to NIT potentially removing additional spots (6 listed here but who knows how many it could really end up as). I don't think the 6th seed projection is airtight.

Yeah that's what he was referencing...hasn't been updated since the loss to Nebraska.

I personally don't care whether we play in the NIT or not.   I guess that is why i would rather see the seniors start the first few minutes of the game.  But i get what people are saying.  Trying to get the most of the season to the final game.  I also don't really believe in the finish big to go into the next year.  Win or lose, we're going to be much better next year.

Archived