Big Boys Called Out....FBI Probe

CTrojan88

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

We really know so little at this point, but after hearing Dakich and Vitale speak about this two questions come to mind.

1. Will players named in the report be eligible to compete from here on out?

2. If said players (speculated by Vitale) are ineligible to compete, does this effect their teams regular season results and are the wins taken away?

....We may have a shot at the NCAA tournament after all. 9_9

I said on the previous page that Cleveland State may get the death penalty.  Your post me thinking of a different scenario and that is one that with all the suspensions, at the big schools,  Cleveland State wins the championship. :coffee:

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Just a follow-up, I'm not trying to minimize this, I just think we all assumed agents were funneling money to players. The real steak in all this is going to be evidence that the shoe companies and/or agents were funneling money in order to get players to certain schools/programs. I don't think this report alone does that. Clearly there's more to come though...

I know this keeps on being said, but in that Vitale interview I watched he said he talked to a coach who again said 'this is only the beginning.'

I think the coaches are spooked because, as somebody pointed out earlier, lying to the NCAA is one thing - lying to the FBI is a bit more dangerous.

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I remember this recruitment too and was surprised when he went to Seton Hall. We were down to the final 2 with a lot of great players who went to schools named in this report. A couple of players that come to mind are Trey Lyles and Kyrie Irving.....and refresh my memory, who was the recruit that we thought we had in the bag, but he went to UNC (Theo Pinson?).  Just pure speculation, but it makes you wonder sometimes. 

We thought we had Bruce Brown who went to Miami as well

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

well, i guess Purdue will never have to worry about this kind of stuff as they don't get players like that.  

I’m 100% okay with that. I’m proud of the fact that Purdue plays by the rules. Painter steers clear of guys like this. Not sure how this could be a slight against Purdue. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Just a follow-up, I'm not trying to minimize this, I just think we all assumed agents were funneling money to players. The real steak in all this is going to be evidence that the shoe companies and/or agents were funneling money in order to get players to certain schools/programs. I don't think this report alone does that. Clearly there's more to come though...

Dumb question...how do we know there's more coming? Not sure if Yahoo is only uncovered 10% of what FBI investigated...did the FBI say it's a slow leak of information they've uncovered?

29 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Dumb question...how do we know there's more coming? Not sure if Yahoo is only uncovered 10% of what FBI investigated...did the FBI say it's a slow leak of information they've uncovered?

Because I believe there are still hundreds of hours of wiretaps and reports that haven't been released yet. Another good question might be wouldn't Yahoo go with the biggest news they found first? I doubt they're holding back, but they may not have seen everything yet either. Who knows. But I have to believe something is going to come of the investigation that pertains to shoe companies. That's where the real dirt is. 

45 minutes ago, Jacarcio said:

I expect most coaches to use Ignorance as a defence. It would be silly not too. 

Is it ignorance? Wouldn't an agent trying to hook up Diamond Stone so he signs with his agency go directly to Stone's parents or handlers, not through the university? I just think today's report is far more about an agency trying to sign players for the NBA, as opposed to an agency trying to funnel players to certain schools. 

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Is it ignorance? Wouldn't an agent trying to hook up Diamond Stone so he signs with his agency go directly to Stone's parents or handlers, not through the university? I just think today's report is far more about an agency trying to sign players for the NBA, as opposed to an agency trying to funnel players to certain schools. 

Agreed, I more just think that if any coach was aware of money changing hands. That coach would also state they had no idea one of their players were having conversations with Agents to their knowledge. 

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Marvin Stone was a top ranked big man from Milwaukee.  He ended up at Maryland, an Under Armour school.   Milwaukee to Maryland.  There are some recruitments that just stick out.  If I were the FBI, I'd be all over that one in terms of the flow of shoe money.

He played AAU for an Under Armour program and Maryland is Under Armour's flagship program. I'm not saying the recruitment wasn't dirty, I'm almost sure it way, I'm saying this article isn't about that. If the FBI is investigating these shoe companies, then I'm confident we'll find out that UA funneled Stone to Maryland. But IMO, today's report is more about agents trying to get college players to sign with them, not really about illegal recruiting of high school players. 

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Marvin Stone was a top ranked big man from Milwaukee.  He ended up at Maryland, an Under Armour school.   Milwaukee to Maryland.  There are some recruitments that just stick out.  If I were the FBI, I'd be all over that one in terms of the flow of shoe money.

Priller. Texas high school to Indiana.  If Archie holds him out of the game for Senior night, could this be the reason?  :coffee:

Just now, Jacarcio said:

Agreed, I more just think that if any coach was aware of money changing hands. That coach would also state they had no idea one of their players were having conversations with Agents to their knowledge. 

Agree as well. No coach is going to admit it. But with the info we have, I don't believe Pitino for a second when he says he has no idea how he got Brian Bowen when Louisville wasn't even on his final 5, but I can believe a coach saying he didn't know about an agent paying one of his current players. I can believe Turgeon on this one, but wouldn't believe him for a second if he said he had no idea that UA funneled Stone to UMD. Does that make sense?

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Priller. Texas high school to Indiana.  If Archie holds him out of the game for Senior night, could this be the reason?  :coffee:

LOL.

My point was not distance so much.  I could see Stone go to, say, Kansas or UCLA or Duke.  But, it's pretty random to go from Milwaukee to Maryland.  They seem to be pretty disconnected and Maryland isn't one of the real bluebloods either that would be a huge draw to just anyone, anywhere.  That looks like a red flag that it was an Under Armour issue.  And if it was an Under Armour issue, there may be an inference of shady money changing hands that would, at a minimum, cry out for a big investigation.  I'm not guaranteeing anything on this, but using spidey senses.

If there is dirt uncovered, Turgeon can hardly call foul, when it's a situation that's crying out for extra due diligence.

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Crean said in an interview shortly after his dismissal that maybe someday there will come a time to talk about why certain recruits chose other schools,etc...but the coaching fraternity is a very tight one. The last time a coach snitched on another it took him 13 years to get back (Bruce Pearl) to another major conference. I would love it though from a fans perspective if he let it out. 

Do you recall where you heard/read this? Thanks for the info!

Archived