Big Boys Called Out....FBI Probe

CTrojan88

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A listing that refers to “BAM” for $12,000 is later identified in the documents as Edrice “Bam” Adebayo, who would go on to play at Kentucky in 2016-17. He did not sign with ASM. There’s a later reference to Adebayo that says he received $36,500. “Bad loan,” reads the document.

This feels so good on the inside

10 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

This feels so good on the inside

I'm not as knowledgeable as some of you on this topic...what exactly does this mean for NCAA violations as it relates to Kentucky? So the agent gave BAM 36.5K over the course of time (not Kentucky)...but that is still not ok because the agent swayed him towards Kentucky? Just trying to better understand as an example what happens in this situation based on the rules in place today...

1 minute ago, ArchieBall13 said:

I'm not as knowledgeable as some of you on this topic...what exactly does this mean for NCAA violations as it relates to Kentucky? So the agent gave BAM 36.5K over the course of time (not Kentucky)...but that is still not ok because the agent swayed him towards Kentucky? Just trying to better understand as an example what happens in this situation based on the rules in place today...

So much remains to be seen. Like BGleas said, this doesn't really tie coaches to ushering players one way or another like everyone has anticipated. As it is right now, I believe UK would have to demonstrate having no knowledge of the money shuffling around but I have no idea how that's actually proven. It really seems like this is the beginning of a few shoes to drop, and coaches might be more specifically implicated in the shoe and apparel deals.

If Izzo is willing to have rapists in his program, he’s in the category of do whatever it takes.  So, you’d figure he’d be tolerant, if not an enabler, of paying players.  Same goes for Dirty Roy vis a vis academic cheating.  The character flaws will rear their ugly heads different ways but to the same end, get an unfair advantage to cheat and win.  See Rick Pitino, the poster boy. 

Does anyone else find it interesting that we are the only so called Blue Blood not named in this report. With knight there was no question we were above all of this. We are one of the only power house programs that has not been irrelevant on the National scene. I think its pretty obvious why. Love or hate Dakich and Crean but we are probably lucky to have had both at the time we did

1 minute ago, Bushmage said:

So much remains to be seen. Like BGleas said, this doesn't really tie coaches to ushering players one way or another like everyone has anticipated. As it is right now, I believe UK would have to demonstrate having no knowledge of the money shuffling around but I have no idea how that's actually proven. It really seems like this is the beginning of a few shoes to drop, and coaches might be more specifically implicated in the shoe and apparel deals.

Another big point will be when these players and their families met with/took money from agents. If it was while they were in college because the agents were targeting them for representation, then it's bad for the players, but not sure what the coaches/programs responsibility really is? Would something like this make a player like Miles Bridges ineligible, sure, but not sure it really does anything to Izzo/MSU other than take a good player off their roster. 

As far programs and coaches we all believe are cheating and need to go down, it will take proof that benefits were given to players to drive them to specific schools. There was mention of high school players, but to me this report mostly reads more like agents jockeying for players already in college. 

The real juice will be in whatever, if anything, comes from investigating the shoe companies and how they steered players to specific programs/coaches. To me this report is interesting, but isn't really the bombshell we've all hoped for. 

If anything this report will actually gain support from the public/media for players since outside of a couple players were basically talking about a couple hundred bucks or in some cases a few thousand for flights, etc. 

49 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Read it again, some are just dinners, other are just straight cash advances. For example $400 to Miles Bridges' mom, $1000 to Josh Jackson. Others are loans to players, some for big money - e.g. $26K to Isaiah Whitehead of Seton Hall, $14K to Diamond Stone of Maryland.

I must have read a shorter version of the story, will definitely go back and read it again.

Crean said in an interview shortly after his dismissal that maybe someday there will come a time to talk about why certain recruits chose other schools,etc...but the coaching fraternity is a very tight one. The last time a coach snitched on another it took him 13 years to get back (Bruce Pearl) to another major conference. I would love it though from a fans perspective if he let it out. 

1 hour ago, RoadToZion said:

Good for Crean regarding the Isaiah Whitehead recruitment. If you all remember we were in the Final 2 for Isaiah, and I for one, was almost certain we would land him. Glad Crean didn't fall for the nonsense on that one. 

I remember this recruitment too and was surprised when he went to Seton Hall. We were down to the final 2 with a lot of great players who went to schools named in this report. A couple of players that come to mind are Trey Lyles and Kyrie Irving.....and refresh my memory, who was the recruit that we thought we had in the bag, but he went to UNC (Theo Pinson?).  Just pure speculation, but it makes you wonder sometimes. 

14 minutes ago, JerseyHoosier said:

All is not well in Izzoland to say the least. I'll be curious how this news compounds the existing nasty issue and the negative coverage from multiple angles he's about to get as March rolls this way and college basketball heads to the forefront of the sports news world. 

Took a look at one of the MSU boards. They are downplaying this to the max. Saying that $400 is one of the smallest amounts listed on the report, thus it's peanuts and should not be lumped in with the more egregious reported violations. At worst, several posters think that if Izzo sits Bridges for a couple of "meaningless games" that they will have penalized themselves enough to meet the severity of the violation.

7 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Took a look at one of the MSU boards. They are downplaying this to the max. Saying that $400 is one of the smallest amounts listed on the report, thus it's peanuts and should not be lumped in with the more egregious reported violations. At worst, several posters think that if Izzo sits Bridges for a couple of "meaningless games" that they will have penalized themselves enough to meet the severity of the violation.

I would be too. There's very little in this one report that incriminates the coaches or programs. In this report there's nothing about illegal recruiting or funneling players to certain schools with payments. It reads mostly as agents trying to secure clients. If Andy Millers agency gave money to Miles Bridges' mom in an effort to get him as a client, that's bad for Miles in terms of being able to play college basketball, but not sure what culpability Izzo or MSU have for it, unless they helped arrange it. which these reports don't seem to indicate. 

We really know so little at this point, but after hearing Dakich and Vitale speak about this two questions come to mind.

1. Will players named in the report be eligible to compete from here on out?

2. If said players (speculated by Vitale) are ineligible to compete, does this effect their teams regular season results and are the wins taken away?

....We may have a shot at the NCAA tournament after all. 9_9

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I would be too. There's very little in this one report that incriminates the coaches or programs. In this report there's nothing about illegal recruiting or funneling players to certain schools with payments. It reads mostly as agents trying to secure clients. If Andy Millers agency gave money to Miles Bridges' mom in an effort to get him as a client, that's bad for Miles in terms of being able to play college basketball, but not sure what culpability Izzo or MSU have for it, unless they helped arrange it. which these reports don't seem to indicate. 

Izzo is listed as having met with Miller over dinner, I think.  Still not slam dunk evidence, but he will have less of a claim to not knowing what was going on.  Same goes for the Villanova coaches, even though I don’t think any Nova players are listed.

Like I stated earlier that this nugget of information is to get the birds a chirping. I would guess that each of these big schools had a third party or "rogue assistant" set up to be the fall guy just in case.  If the FBI can put enough pressure on them and they start to feel the heat they will talk.  Most of these guys have been doing this so long that they have developed great ways to hide it or have become so comfortable at it that its easy to connect the dots.  for many years coach knight always said that if a player had certain schools on their list he did not go after them because he knew we could not match their offers. 

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

Izzo is listed as having met with Miller over dinner, I think.  Still not slam dunk evidence, but he will have less of a claim to not knowing what was going on.  Same goes for the Villanova coaches, even though I don’t think any Nova players are listed.

Agree, that does make it stickier, but I think a coach could easily explain that with he was getting feedback on how ready certain players were for the NBA and that he had no idea about any payments. 

Just a follow-up, I'm not trying to minimize this, I just think we all assumed agents were funneling money to players. The real steak in all this is going to be evidence that the shoe companies and/or agents were funneling money in order to get players to certain schools/programs. I don't think this report alone does that. Clearly there's more to come though...

Archived