Big Boys Called Out....FBI Probe

CTrojan88

6 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Do you recall where you heard/read this? Thanks for the info!

Fairly certain it was when he first came on Dakich show after dismissal. I'm sure podcast is somewhere. As we know Coach can let the words fly...but iirc he said there was some regrets he had on a few things or the reasons (public doesn't know) why he lost out on so and so recruit,etc...

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Fairly certain it was when he first came on Dakich show after dismissal. I'm sure podcast is somewhere. As we know Coach can let the words fly...but iirc he said there was some regrets he had on a few things or the reasons (public doesn't know) why he lost out on so and so recruit,etc...

Not sure about Dakich, as I don't listen to him.

However, Seth Davis did an interview with Crean after Crean got canned, where Crean said : "We lost kids, when money changed hands. "

Tom Crean opens up on the airwaves

The Seth Davis Podcast - BONUS: Former Indiana Head Coach Tom Crean 

Edit:  I now see in the article I linked that Crean talked both to Dakich as well as Davis.

52 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Because I believe there are still hundreds of hours of wiretaps and reports that haven't been released yet. Another good question might be wouldn't Yahoo go with the biggest news they found first? I doubt they're holding back, but they may not have seen everything yet either. Who knows. But I have to believe something is going to come of the investigation that pertains to shoe companies. That's where the real dirt is. 

According to what I heard on ESPN this morning, there are some 3,000 hours worth of wiretaps.......

7 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Huge IF, but IF Indiana gets out of this unscathed, I like our chances with how the 2019 class would shape up. No Mich St for Brooks/ TJD, no Bama for Watford, no KU/UNC for Hurt, No KU/Duke for Cole Anthony. A whole lot of talent to go after when you eliminate the blue bloods.

I think you can pretty much rule out KU for Romeo....

6 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Huge IF, but IF Indiana gets out of this unscathed, I like our chances with how the 2019 class would shape up. No Mich St for Brooks/ TJD, no Bama for Watford, no KU/UNC for Hurt, No KU/Duke for Cole Anthony. A whole lot of talent to go after when you eliminate the blue bloods.

I believe this would help, but I don't think players would just totally bail on all those schools unless the head coaches are fired or they're banned from tournament play. I don't think you immediately eliminate them from the picture. 

Quote from Seth Davis interview. Thanks Mile for linking.

"Did we have some Indiana kids not come here because they just wanted to go to another school? Yes. Did we have some Indiana kids not come here because money changed hands? Because things got done for people on the inside? Absolutely it did. We live that."

"You can put yourself into this Pollyanna world that this kid is really going to want to come to this school--'he grew up here and his family really likes it' or 'he wore that t-shirt.' There are so many stories that I have dealt with, and I will save it for the book some day--but so many stories where I have been blamed for somebody that I didn't get as a coach. And I knew exactly what happened as to why we didn't get them.

"You can be made for awhile but eventually you have to look at it like 'where did I miss the message here? What sign did I miss? A lot of times they're good at the game. It is very, very easy to get disgruntled and get chaffed so much when you deal with things with recruiting."

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Schools that had players/families listed as meeting with Dawkins
Alabama, Creighton, Duke, Iowa State, Kentucky, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Texas, Vanderbilt, Virginia.

I just fount this bit of information from today's FBI probe. I saw that Vandy was on a list in one of the categories listed.

ESPN has a good breakdown: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22555512/explaining-ncaa-college-basketball-scandal-players-coaches-agents

6 hours ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Also, that Crean hire may be looking better and better for the time period we had him in. Had some great moments with him during the rebuild (not good enough for long-term elite status), but hopefully we avoided any real trouble if the boom is about to fall on several major programs.

Let's wait and see in the end here. The Adidas guy arrested was around the IU program a lot.

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

His handler.... aka “guardian”

I love when the word “handler” is used in this case. I get the whole Barnes went to Purdue thing but he didn’t even send his own two biological sons to Purdue and they were both high D1 athletes. And it’s not like it was a sure thing Biggie would turn into a stud. The dude was morbidly obese when Barnes took him in. Far from a lock to be an All-American his sophomore year. 

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I love when the word “handler” is used in this case. I get the whole Barnes went to Purdue thing but he didn’t even send his own two biological sons to Purdue and they were both high D1 athletes. And it’s not like it was a sure thing Biggie would turn into a stud. The dude was morbidly obese when Barnes took him in. Far from a lock to be an All-American his sophomore year. 

What caused the flip from MSU to PU?

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Quite frankly, Swanigan's game fit Purdue much better than just about anyone. Swanigan started out big, and even at that size, Purdue's offense would allow him to still be effective. He could essentially work on his body while he was still getting plenty of touches.

Even in the midst of all this FBI stuff, we need to remember, some coaches really don't know everything that goes on with recruits in such. Let's say, for example, Swanigan did have a "handler" looking for cash. What's stopping that handler from going to some booster and saying "give me $2500 and I'll send Caleb to your school". Coach never knows, school never knows.

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I said on the previous page that Cleveland State may get the death penalty.  Your post me thinking of a different scenario and that is one that with all the suspensions, at the big schools,  Cleveland State wins the championship. :coffee:

Someone named "ooo" had mentioned something like that on yahoo this morning too.Except they said they'd be ranked #1.

It's still funny the 2nd time around for me.

Archived