FBI wiretaps show Sean Miller discussing $100k payments.

milehiiu

8 hours ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

Sean's paying of players took place less than a year ago. How long has Archie been away from Arizona? Let's treat our coach with the respect he deserves until he's truly implicated for wrongdoing. Just because Sean's a liar and a cheater doesn't mean his brother is. These are grown men with their own lives and philosophies.

To this I say Amen and Amen.....

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Tongue in cheek question.  Does Sean send the government a 1099 after paying the $100k ?

That's the thing. And I don't want to overreact to anything because the government is using a drip campaign probably leading up to the bombshell on Tuesday of tourney week....but once cash is involved the Feds love using tax fraud,  threat of tax charges, etc....as leverage to keep finding out more info. 

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the thing. And I don't want to overreact to anything because the government is using a drip campaign probably leading up to the bombshell on Tuesday of tourney week....but once cash is involved the Feds love using tax fraud,  threat of tax charges, etc....as leverage to keep finding out more info. 

Though it was a tongue in cheek question.... there are very real and serious consequences to my question.... on a Federal level. You are correct.  Al Capone did not get convicted of bootlegging. He got convicted of tax evasion. 

I love these coaches contracts. This is cut/paste from ESPN article. His contract states that even if he does commit violations he still gets his $. It's almost like Arizona was saying go ahead and do what you need to do. 

If Miller is fired for cause, his contract is written in such a way that he would still receive more than 85 percent of the money he is owed through May 31, 2022.

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And Amen and Amen....it's almost like some of the posters enjoy or find satisfaction in others misery. Odd way to live.

I imagine you're taking issue with a few posters thoughts in this situation (mine included). I figured my comments would ruffle feathers a bit, but intellectual honesty is a premium and unwilling to bend on that rule. 

As far as implicating Archie, I obviously hope he has been clean throughout his entire career. Simply posting thoughts on possibilities on a message board Archie will never be reading. 

10 hours ago, hoosierBGH said:

It seems pretty reasonable that they would be given this latest information. I wonder who will actually be left standing to fill the vacancies though. This thing feels like a snowball that is just starting to roll down the hill. 

A lot of talented mid major coaches are in line for some big pay raises

2 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

I imagine you're taking issue with a few posters thoughts in this situation (mine included). I figured my comments would ruffle feathers a bit, but intellectual honesty is a premium and unwilling to bend on that rule. 

As far as implicating Archie, I obviously hope he has been clean throughout his entire career. Simply posting thoughts on possibilities on a message board Archie will never be reading. 

I didn't see your post so wasn't taking issue. More of a general comment. Some boards have posters who pedal cynicism as wisdom. That mantra gets exhausting to keep reading time and time again. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

For those who said, back in September when the FBI arrests were first announced..... that, that was the tip of the iceberg ..... tip of my hat to you.

And more to come, it seems like. 

LOL, well the hull of the "Titanic" just got ripped open.  Time to abandon ship.  Problem is their ain't enough lifeboats.

1 hour ago, StLHoosier said:

Do you have any siblings?  Do/did you know every little thing they were doing?  Of course not.  You’re pretty much saying he’s guilty by association.

If you read my other posts I’ve repeatedly said that I’m not accusing or suggesting that he’s guilty. 

Of course Archie doesn’t know everything about Sean. And I’ve never suggested that he does. But again, Archie did coach under  and with Sean for several years. They inevitably recruited together. Is it really that far fetched to think that Archie knew Sean was paying players? I certainly don’t think so. Doesn’t mean he was doing it.

4 hours ago, Indykev said:

The question here is what rules do the NCAA change so that Duke, UNC, UK, KU, Mich,ST and Zona don't get put on probation at the same time and miss the Cash cow tournament. Can you see March being played with none of those teams? The NCAA wont let that happen.

Unfortunately, there is probably a lot of truth in this statement my friend. That the NCAA as an organization is driven by its self-interest and the cash cow world of March Madness is pretty damn clear at this point.

59 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I love these coaches contracts. This is cut/paste from ESPN article. His contract states that even if he does commit violations he still gets his $. It's almost like Arizona was saying go ahead and do what you need to do. 

If Miller is fired for cause, his contract is written in such a way that he would still receive more than 85 percent of the money he is owed through May 31, 2022.

That is dumb.  His lawyer/agent must be getting paid really well.

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

This is going to be ugly for college basketball when all is said and done.  How many banners come down?  How many wins vacated? How much money lost?  How many coaches fired?  It’s an interesting and scary time to be a fan that’s for sure.

And an interesting and exciting time to be a mid-major coach 

2 hours ago, StLHoosier said:

Do you have any siblings?  Do/did you know every little thing they were doing?  Of course not.  You’re pretty much saying he’s guilty by association.

Nobody is saying Archie is guilty of anything.

I have 2 older brothers, one who works in the cattle business, and one who is a self employed carpenter.  I've worked with my brother who is a carpenter over the years, so I have a pretty good idea about how he is with codes, and getting permits, and all of the details that goes into building a house.  My brother who works with cattle could be pumping them full of steroids for all I know.  The point I'm trying to make is that the one I have worked with, I know a lot about the things he does at his job, the one I haven't worked with, I have no idea about what he does.

Archie and Sean isn't a normal brother situation.  They've worked together and they work in the same field.  There are numerous articles written over the years that say Archie views Sean as a mentor in the coaching field (#1, #2, #3)  I think it is very fair to say that there is a good chance Archie knows some of the business his brother was dealing in.  Doesn't mean Archie does the same thing, but it is very fair to ask questions about it.

18 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

This is going to be ugly for college basketball when all is said and done.  How many banners come down?  How many wins vacated? How much money lost?  How many coaches fired?  It’s an interesting and scary time to be a fan that’s for sure.

One thing I'm sure of, our banners won't be coming down.....

17 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Nobody is saying Archie is guilty of anything.

I have 2 older brothers, one who works in the cattle business, and one who is a self employed carpenter.  I've worked with my brother who is a carpenter over the years, so I have a pretty good idea about how he is with codes, and getting permits, and all of the details that goes into building a house.  My brother who works with cattle could be pumping them full of steroids for all I know.  The point I'm trying to make is that the one I have worked with, I know a lot about the things he does at his job, the one I haven't worked with, I have no idea about what he does.

Archie and Sean isn't a normal brother situation.  They've worked together and they work in the same field.  There are numerous articles written over the years that say Archie views Sean as a mentor in the coaching field (#1, #2, #3)  I think it is very fair to say that there is a good chance Archie knows some of the business his brother was dealing in.  Doesn't mean Archie does the same thing, but it is very fair to ask questions about it.

I understand what you're saying, but sheesh.....  But posters here are casting a weary eye at guy who hasn't even finished his first year as IUs coach?? What a way to start your HC career

55 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And Amen and Amen....it's almost like some of the posters enjoy or find satisfaction in others misery. Odd way to live.

My sentiments exactly! I have been surfing through these hot topic pages and just shake my head. I almost get the impression some posters on here are almost "willing" IU to FBI implications and predestined involvement with brother Sean. 

Wouldn't  you think that before hiring Archie, Glass and EVERYONE, I mean EVERYONE involved in his hiring crossed ALL the t's and dotted EVERY i?

I guarantee before they officially hired Archie EVERYTHING about him was meticulously evaluated and then re-evaluated again. Glass, the  search committee and stakeholders diligently did their homework on Archie. You can bet that Archie's involvment with any former recruits, teams and coaches, including his brother Sean, were covered. They were determined that before he was officially named IU's new coach, he would be squeaky clean. 

They were not about to risk repeating a "Sampson type hire"!

Have faith folks, we are in good hands with Archie.

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

My sentiments exactly! I have been surfing through these hot topic pages and just shake my head. I almost get the impression some posters on here are almost "willing" IU to FBI implications and predestined involvement with brother Sean. 

Wouldn't  you think that before hiring Archie, Glass and EVERYONE, I mean EVERYONE involved in his hiring crossed ALL the t's and dotted EVERY i?

I guarantee before they officially hired Archie EVERYTHING about him was meticulously evaluated and then re-evaluated again. Glass, the  search committee and stakeholders diligently did their homework on Archie. You can bet that Archie's involvment with any former recruits, teams and coaches, including his brother Sean, were covered. They were determined that before he was officially named IU's new coach, he would be squeaky clean. 

They were not about to risk repeating a "Sampson type hire"!

Have faith folks, we are in good hands with Archie.

Its not like the IU administration knew Sean was paying his players.

What if this came out when we were looking at hiring Archie last spring?  Right or wrong people would be all over the connection between him and his brother.

Doesn't mean Archie is or isn't dirty, but I don't see how anybody can be at fault for being a little worried.

Archived