FBI wiretaps show Sean Miller discussing $100k payments.

milehiiu

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

ESPN makes erroneous reports frequently on scandals. Unfortunately, they're the biggest voice and even if they admit mistakes that never is heard as loud as the original error. 

True.  "A lie can travel around the world before the truth can put on it's pants."

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

ESPN makes erroneous reports frequently on scandals. Unfortunately, they're the biggest voice and even if they admit mistakes that never is heard as loud as the original error. 

What you say about ESPN is very true.  However in this instance, they have not retracted or admitted to making a mistake.  What I find interesting in this instance is that ESPN is doubling down on their report. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

What you say about ESPN is very true.  However in this instance, they have not retracted or admitted to making a mistake.  What I find interesting in this instance is that ESPN is doubling down on their report. 

Which is exactly what frustrates me, either there is a recording of Sean admitting to paying this kid or there isn't. I did learn today that audio is under a federal seal so I understand why it hasn't come out, but it also makes me question how someone from ESPN or even 247 knows about its content.

I'm starting to feel more and more like Miller might be exonerated, although Arizona may still cut ties with him regardless given the atmosphere of CBB right now.

3 hours ago, Bushmage said:

Which is exactly what frustrates me, either there is a recording of Sean admitting to paying this kid or there isn't. I did learn today that audio is under a federal seal so I understand why it hasn't come out, but it also makes me question how someone from ESPN or even 247 knows about its content.

I'm starting to feel more and more like Miller might be exonerated, although Arizona may still cut ties with him regardless given the atmosphere of CBB right now.

If they were going to, don't you think they would have already? It seems like they may be waiting this out to see what the FBI really truly has on Sean.

Must admit I was very disappointed in the original report as stated by ESPN.  However, in this day of "fake news" I prefer not to try Sean in the court of public opinion.  Perhaps it's the homer in me since CAM took over as HC.  I hope the cynic in me is wrong in thinking CSM/UA may actually have been complicit in playing in the fetid and festering sewer that BB Recruiting has become.

Lots of rumors flying around right now in regards to Sean and this scandal. Impossible to know what the truth is. Here a few things I've heard:

1. Schlabach erroneously reported Ayton as the player in the wiretap, when in actuality it was Bowen, the recruit at the center of the Louisville scandal.

2. It actually wasn't Sean Miller being recorded on the wiretap, it was Andy Miller(from ASM Sports). This is probably my favorite rumor, and man oh man would I love if it were true. What a monumental screw up if true. Seems unlikely, but you never know. If this is the case ESPN would immediately lose what credibility they have left, and Schlabach's career would be beyond finished.

3. Sean Miller will resign/or be fired prior to the game on Thursday.

Mark Titus makes some interesting points: https://www.theringer.com/2018/2/27/17058026/fbi-investigation-college-basketball-recruiting-reports-sean-miller

I've included a particularly interesting portion below.

"3. The Miller wiretap report isn’t anywhere close to the smoking gun that it initially seemed. (At least not yet, anyway.)

When ESPN’s Mark Schlabach first reported that the FBI had wiretapped conversations of Miller discussing payments with Dawkins, the consensus in the media was that this news was completely damning and that Miller’s judgment day was imminent. After all, a head coach at one of the 10 most prestigious programs in the country getting caught on tape discussing a six-figure recruiting scheme with a runner from an agency is about as juicy and easy a case as the NCAA—an organization whose enforcement arm has botched cases more than a few times in recent years—could possibly ask for. In the days that followed, though, what was originally depicted as an open-and-shut case has been subject to increasing skepticism.

For starters, Schlabach’s story provided zero direct quotes from the wiretap, suggesting that he hasn’t listened to the recording or even seen a transcript of the call. Also, Schlabach said in a televised interview that the wiretapped call took place in the spring of 2017, which would mean that the discussion over payments to guarantee Ayton’s commitment took place after he had signed his national letter of intent in November 2016. ESPN issued a correction to its story and said that the alleged call took place in “spring of 2016,” a timeline that was later corrected yet again to read simply “2016.” But even that doesn’t completely clear up the time-frame issue when you consider that a 247Sports report from Monday includes this passage: “Sources say that the U.S. Attorney’s office notified multiple parties who had conversations with Dawkins that their phone calls had been recorded specifically during the dates of June 19, 2017 and Sept. 25, 2017.”

Further complicating matters is that, as CBS Sports’ Gary Parrish pointed out on Twitter, those who closely follow recruiting seem to think that Ayton and Dawkins never had much of a relationship, casting doubt on the notion that Dawkins would have been in position to “sell” Ayton’s services in the first place. And let’s not forget that there’s likely a specific reason this piece of information about the wiretap call was leaked to the media.

There are two questions surrounding Miller that keep tripping me up:

• Why would the head coach of Arizona handle his dirty business himself and not have an assistant serve as his fall guy, especially when the person on the other end of the purported interaction (Dawkins) was in his 20s?
  • If the FBI had stone-cold proof that Miller offered a $100,000 bribe to land a sought-after recruit—which is what the public has been led to believe—why wasn’t Miller arrested along with the rest of the guys whom the FBI threw cuffs on in September"

1 minute ago, Jacarcio said:

The problem with all of this is once it's out there regardless of whos innocent. it's really hard to come back from it. I think there is a saying -"headline page 1, redaction page 6" something like that. 

Absolutely. But if it were proven that Sean Miller truly had nothing to do with this and it was completely a mistake by ESPN... he might have a chance.

I still think it's more likely then not that Sean is dirty but who knows at this point.

7 hours ago, madmax said:

Mark Titus makes some interesting points: https://www.theringer.com/2018/2/27/17058026/fbi-investigation-college-basketball-recruiting-reports-sean-miller

I've included a particularly interesting portion below.

"3. The Miller wiretap report isn’t anywhere close to the smoking gun that it initially seemed. (At least not yet, anyway.)

When ESPN’s Mark Schlabach first reported that the FBI had wiretapped conversations of Miller discussing payments with Dawkins, the consensus in the media was that this news was completely damning and that Miller’s judgment day was imminent. After all, a head coach at one of the 10 most prestigious programs in the country getting caught on tape discussing a six-figure recruiting scheme with a runner from an agency is about as juicy and easy a case as the NCAA—an organization whose enforcement arm has botched cases more than a few times in recent years—could possibly ask for. In the days that followed, though, what was originally depicted as an open-and-shut case has been subject to increasing skepticism.

For starters, Schlabach’s story provided zero direct quotes from the wiretap, suggesting that he hasn’t listened to the recording or even seen a transcript of the call. Also, Schlabach said in a televised interview that the wiretapped call took place in the spring of 2017, which would mean that the discussion over payments to guarantee Ayton’s commitment took place after he had signed his national letter of intent in November 2016. ESPN issued a correction to its story and said that the alleged call took place in “spring of 2016,” a timeline that was later corrected yet again to read simply “2016.” But even that doesn’t completely clear up the time-frame issue when you consider that a 247Sports report from Monday includes this passage: “Sources say that the U.S. Attorney’s office notified multiple parties who had conversations with Dawkins that their phone calls had been recorded specifically during the dates of June 19, 2017 and Sept. 25, 2017.”

Further complicating matters is that, as CBS Sports’ Gary Parrish pointed out on Twitter, those who closely follow recruiting seem to think that Ayton and Dawkins never had much of a relationship, casting doubt on the notion that Dawkins would have been in position to “sell” Ayton’s services in the first place. And let’s not forget that there’s likely a specific reason this piece of information about the wiretap call was leaked to the media.

There are two questions surrounding Miller that keep tripping me up:

• Why would the head coach of Arizona handle his dirty business himself and not have an assistant serve as his fall guy, especially when the person on the other end of the purported interaction (Dawkins) was in his 20s?
  • If the FBI had stone-cold proof that Miller offered a $100,000 bribe to land a sought-after recruit—which is what the public has been led to believe—why wasn’t Miller arrested along with the rest of the guys whom the FBI threw cuffs on in September"

While both of Mark's points are valid the last one is rather compelling. Maybe there is a good reason why the FBI hasn't arrested Miller yet if they have him on tape but I'm at a loss for what it would be. 

As for ESPN, this is the same ESPN that always went out of it's way to defend and promote Wooden, who was the biggest cheater college basketball has ever seen. This is also the same ESPN that downplayed the scandal at UNC and covered the story less than one would expect for a story of that magnitude. 

I hate meeting every story in the real world with skepticism. Please don't let it move over to sports too. I know it's motivating to be first one out with a story.....but journalism is at an all time low. How hard is it to double check and triple check facts/timelines before potentially destroying a persons name? 

Looking just at IU sports reporters. We have certain reporters who want to be first. Certain reporters who want to be right.

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I hate meeting every story in the real world with skepticism. Please don't let it move over to sports too. I know it's motivating to be first one out with a story.....but journalism is at an all time low. How hard is it to double check and triple check facts/timelines before potentially destroying a persons name? 

Looking just at IU sports reporters. We have certain reporters who want to be first. Certain reporters who want to be right.

ESPN = MSNBC of news.....

41 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Seriously.  This allegation has the potential to ruin Miller’s career, and it’s probably already done irreparable damage even if he ends up being exonerated eventually.  How could ESPN not do their due diligence on this when they’re putting a man and his family’s livelihood on the line?  If it turns out not to be true, Schlabach should be blacklisted from the profession, and honestly, ESPN should shutter its “investigatory division.”  

3 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I was skeptical of the tweet/report as soon as I heard the wiretap wasn't released. I kept thinking how did Schlabach hear it then?

I admit. I wasn't. I thought given it was the FBI probably using one of it's many stool pigeons in the media as a way to control the story it had to be accurate. Silly me. I'm sure whoever from the FBI leaked the story to his buddy is telling him thanks for destroying our credibility...allegedly. 

This will go over like a ton of bricks on this site, but ESPN also completely lied/botched the Deflategate story too. It was Chris Mortensen that sent the original tweet that started the entire firestorm claiming (going off memory here) that 11 out of 12 ball were over-inflated when it was actually one or two. He sent a 'middle of the night' tweet month later with one of the apology/non-apologies about being wrong. 

ESPN is a complete joke. This is a huge, huge deal if they got this wrong. 

Archived