FBI wiretaps show Sean Miller discussing $100k payments.

milehiiu

Opened up my ESPN app the other day and it started with a video showing 30th anniversary of Bob Knight chair toss. Thought it seemed longer than that so I looked and it was actually 33 years ago. When I went to espn.com they had this day in sports showing the correct date and a link to an article written for the 30th anniversary. Lazy.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Jacarcio said:

Really hope the botched it, I enjoy when espn has egg on their face. 

Really need a better brand of news coverage across the board. This is sad. 

The problem with that is it will give legitimacy to all the coaches that deny, deny, deny, and claim the reports are wrong when they genuinely get busted. 

As far as Sean Miller, UA and Ayton, I hope whatever the real story is comes out. Obviously I don't want them to suffer consequences from false reporting. If they're innocent I want that to come out to clear their names. But with that said, I'm not necessarily rooting for that either.  

39 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The problem with that is it will give legitimacy to all the coaches that deny, deny, deny, and claim the reports are wrong when they genuinely get busted. 

As far as Sean Miller, UA and Ayton, I hope whatever the real story is comes out. Obviously I don't want them to suffer consequences from false reporting. If they're innocent I want that to come out to clear their names. But with that said, I'm not necessarily rooting for that either.  

100% agree I hadn't thought about that side of the coin. I just wanted espn to look bad. Here's hoping the FBI releases a good portion of this when they are finished to save the career of some folks or vice versus

57 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Coaches do that already though, don't they?

1 hour ago, Bushmage said:

28511282_3776315404067_1700675360_n.png?oh=3fd6a833a489662b49b1386588464f0a&oe=5A989F4B

Also read a theory where Schlabach confused Sean Miller with Andy Miller. Would be absolutely hilarious and at this point it wouldn't surprise me.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/heat-index/2018/02/27/sean-miller-fired-arizona-wildcats-coach-recruiting-scandal-fbi-ncaa-wiretap-z/379456002/

The writer who's quoted there is already walking that comment back, saying that he doesn't know this for fact but speculates that it could be the case. This situation is wild. The writer in question still believes Milller will be fired/leave Arizona which makes no sense if he in fact did nothing wrong. 

36 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/heat-index/2018/02/27/sean-miller-fired-arizona-wildcats-coach-recruiting-scandal-fbi-ncaa-wiretap-z/379456002/

The writer who's quoted there is already walking that comment back, saying that he doesn't know this for fact but speculates that it could be the case. This situation is wild. The writer in question still believes Milller will be fired/leave Arizona which makes no sense if he in fact did nothing wrong. 

I still lean towards confusing Sean/Andy Miller as highly unlikely, but its absurd that we've come to the point where this is even debatable. I have that same feeling Miller will be fired either way just because of the look its given the Arizona program, but it's super messed up if he truly is innocent of these accusations.

41 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

To an extent, it's fair to say a lot of this stuff is the result of the immediate news cycle -- that news can't wait until 6:00 p.m., that it's 24 hours with news that has to break immediately, before someone else breaks it. This approach to "news" makes it ripe for error, and abuse.

Great point.  You’re absolutely right.

51 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Coaches do that already though, don't they?

The keyword was "legitimacy".  The truth is what is most important, but the last thing we need are guys like Pitino, Boeheim, Roy, etc. saying "see, I told you so, it was all made up. Look what they did to Sean Miller!". 

Currently most don't believe these guys, but if the Sean Miller thing was a media botch job, then all the coaches are empowered even more to deny and people will start believing them.  

1 minute ago, mjeze106 said:

Full denial from Sean Miller during his press conference.  He's going back to coaching and AZ leadership supports him.

Miller vs. ESPN.  I have a feeling ESPN is going down in this one.

If they feel confident in their facts. Why not. Wouldn't be the first time ESPN has messed up. 

1 minute ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Not going to jump on Miller's side of this just because he denied it. We'll see how it plays out.

Yep. And now because of this report (erroneous or not) I will have to meet every report with skepticism. ESPN keeps giving cut the chord folks more and more reason to do so. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

To be expected. In other related news....Shareef O'neal just said he's sticking with UCLA even though he changed from Arizona after the report by ESPN came out. We'll see what happens but for the time being. Until I hear the words spoken myself (audio released) I'm not taking anything from ESPN or FBI or Arizona for that matter as gospel.

52 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'm not sure what to think of them standing behind it.  Part of me thinks they wouldn't do that unless they had confirmed what was originally reported.  If it wasn't confirmed they just wouldn't have put their stance in the article.  The other part of me thinks its ESPN and they suck at life, so who knows.

Archived