FBI wiretaps show Sean Miller discussing $100k payments.

milehiiu

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Leaning towards Sean's side on this one, but just barely. If he really did discuss the payments with Dawkins, then he would know there is a good chance that he was actually recorded and it would/could come out someday. I know the tendency is to deny, deny, deny, but those are usually cases where the denier doesn't know of any concrete proof that can take them down (at least at the time). I don't see Sean as dumb enough to want to directly deal with Dawkins or any other shady things when head coaches have assistant coaches as the fall guys for that. 

With that said, I do still feel that Sean's dirty. He specifically said I never multiple times, because that's likely true. What is also likely true is that Book Richardson did most of if not all of the things that Sean denied. I don't know if this was posted in this thread or elsewhere previously, but I find it pretty damning when a football player who gets no benefit from the accusation said Miller pays players. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/ex-arizona-qb-claims-basketball-coach-sean-miller-paid-players-article-1.3738852

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Leaning towards Sean's side on this one, but just barely. If he really did discuss the payments with Dawkins, then he would know there is a good chance that he was actually recorded and it would/could come out someday. I know the tendency is to deny, deny, deny, but those are usually cases where the denier doesn't know of any concrete proof that can take them down (at least at the time). I don't see Sean as dumb enough to want to directly deal with Dawkins or any other shady things when head coaches have assistant coaches as the fall guys for that. 

With that said, I do still feel that Sean's dirty. He specifically said I never multiple times, because that's likely true. What is also likely true is that Book Richardson did most of if not all of the things that Sean denied. I don't know if this was posted in this thread or elsewhere previously, but I find it pretty damning when a football player who gets no benefit from the accusation said Miller pays players. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/ex-arizona-qb-claims-basketball-coach-sean-miller-paid-players-article-1.3738852

The football player was just referencing Book Richardson getting arrested though, when he claimed that Miller paid players.

13 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

Seems like a game of Texas Hold'em.  Both sides are 'all in' after knowing what only one hole card is.

With a flop, one side is going down with the FBI dealing the cards.

Two pair vs river flush. I think Miller actually gets lucky here and hits the flush. As a country we are at an all time high of not trusting media. I know if I was in his corner counseling that...I would be telling him that. Especially in Arizona. Easy sell to the locals. Big bad company from out East is trying to mess with our success. It plays for their fans and market..

Edit-one thing I do want at least this board to know. It is very hard to win defamation suits because the writer (in this case ESPN) has to act with absolute malice or blatant disregard for the facts. Miller's camp would have to prove it was for lack of a better term...personal. Miller would have to prove someone (editor publisher,etc...) has it out for him. 

As strongly worded as Milller's statement was, and given the details coming out as to the actual timeline of the FBI's investigation, at this point it seems like ESPN screwed this up, big time. 

However, it kind of bothers me that Miller had to read, word for word, from his written script: https://www.cbssports.com/live/sean-miller-stays-hes-remaining-head-coach-of-arizona/412404/

That's not to say he's lying. But that's pretty poor presentation for a categorical denial. The allegations aren't complicated.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

As strongly worded as Milller's statement was, and given the details coming out as to the actual timeline of the FBI's investigation, at this point it seems like ESPN screwed this up, big time. 

However, it kind of bothers me that Miller had to read, word for word, from his written script: https://www.cbssports.com/live/sean-miller-stays-hes-remaining-head-coach-of-arizona/412404/

That's not to say he's lying. But that's pretty poor presentation for a categorical denial. The allegations aren't complicated.

My guess is the stakes are so high they don't want to leave any casual word or phrase up to interpretation. I'm not an attorney. My wife is. Her brother is. Her Dad is. Her Uncle is....but one thing I've learned after 15 years or so...every word means something. Don't risk it by allowing coach to go ad lib ala Izzo did after things went down at MSU.

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My guess is the stakes are so high they don't want to leave any casual word or phrase up to interpretation. I'm not an attorney. My wife is. Her brother is. Her Dad is. Her Uncle is....but one thing I've learned after 15 years or so...every word means something. Don't risk it by allowing coach to go ad lib ala Izzo did after things went down at MSU.

Yeah, I'm an attorney. What you say -- what words you use -- matter, but a simple "I never agreed to pay any player (or agent) any money, ever, and never would" should be said without a script.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Last month, ESPN reported that FBI wiretaps intercepted telephone calls between Sean Miller and Dawkins, and multiple sources told ESPN that they discussed a $100,000 payment to freshman center DeAndre Ayton. Miller has denied paying Ayton or any other Arizona players.

Ayton, a native of the Bahamas, was interviewed multiple times by the FBI, NCAA investigators and attorneys who are conducting an inquiry for the university, according to his attorney and Arizona officials.

This is why I have come to hate ESPN. They leave it sounding like Ayton was guilty of receiving the money so it doesn't look like ESPN screwed the pooch by reporting incorrectly that Miller paid Him the money. He was interviewed multiple times and no one found anything to implicate Ayton received the ESPN reported $100,000 from anyone at anytime. But you won't ever find them backtracking their mistake from the initial article. I hope Miller sues ESPN for defamation, but I somehow doubt Arizona will let him do that as it might hurt their TV revenue.

In the end, Miller looks like a cheat and ESPN loses nothing. Until I hear more from more credible sources, I will continue to assume Miller is innocent in this.

2 hours ago, IUaic said:

Last month, ESPN reported that FBI wiretaps intercepted telephone calls between Sean Miller and Dawkins, and multiple sources told ESPN that they discussed a $100,000 payment to freshman center DeAndre Ayton. Miller has denied paying Ayton or any other Arizona players.

Ayton, a native of the Bahamas, was interviewed multiple times by the FBI, NCAA investigators and attorneys who are conducting an inquiry for the university, according to his attorney and Arizona officials.

This is why I have come to hate ESPN. They leave it sounding like Ayton was guilty of receiving the money so it doesn't look like ESPN screwed the pooch by reporting incorrectly that Miller paid Him the money. He was interviewed multiple times and no one found anything to implicate Ayton received the ESPN reported $100,000 from anyone at anytime. But you won't ever find them backtracking their mistake from the initial article. I hope Miller sues ESPN for defamation, but I somehow doubt Arizona will let him do that as it might hurt their TV revenue.

In the end, Miller looks like a cheat and ESPN loses nothing. Until I hear more from more credible sources, I will continue to assume Miller is innocent in this.

And it's not just ESPN that does this, all of the drive-by media does it. That's why the term "Fake News" resonates with me.......

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I wish I were at confident as you.  I'm afraid that Sean misbehaved...lots of smoke...

My logic is if they had something solid, He would be fired by now. It only took 15 seconds for Louisville to fire Quick Rick, pun intended. There has been nothing since Sean's initial accusation and short suspension while AZ looked into it.

I am sure if any evidence existed, the crack team of experts at ESPN would let us all know about it.

• 2 months later...

It might only be because it's Archie's brother as to why this was so a bizarre/intriguing story to me...but this was such a weird story. ESPN comes in hot with maybe some of the most damning allegations in maybe decades and then we hear virtually nothing after...I honestly have no clue where the details of this investigation stand but I'm guessing it's mostly due to terrible reporting by ESPN. Good thing for them is they are pretty exclusive in sports tracking so they just cover their behinds by just not commenting on this after the initial story/blunder 

3 hours ago, ArchieBall13 said:

It might only be because it's Archie's brother as to why this was so a bizarre/intriguing story to me...but this was such a weird story. ESPN comes in hot with maybe some of the most damning allegations in maybe decades and then we hear virtually nothing after...I honestly have no clue where the details of this investigation stand but I'm guessing it's mostly due to terrible reporting by ESPN. Good thing for them is they are pretty exclusive in sports tracking so they just cover their behinds by just not commenting on this after the initial story/blunder 

This is 2018 media. Welcome.

5 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

DeAndre Ayton, like Marvin Bagley, has signed with Puma. More money well-spent by Nike! :D

Jay-Z is now the head of basketball operations at Puma.  I assume that helped quite a bit in this signing along with his Roc Nation sports agency.  Not sure if Ayton and Bagley are being repped by them as well.

Archived