FBI wiretaps show Sean Miller discussing $100k payments.

milehiiu

47 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

This is 2018 media. Welcome.

Or the FBI leaked the story intentionally at the time to smoke some people out and have remained quiet since.  Not everything is a conspiracy and I hate the constant bashing of the media, including the popular "fake news" a certain person likes to throw out there for every unflattering story about him.  I have my complaints about the media, including their need to get it out the quickest, but they are right more often than not and are only as good as the information that is out there.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Or the FBI leaked the story intentionally at the time to smoke some people out and have remained quiet since.  Not everything is a conspiracy and I hate the constant bashing of the media, including the popular "fake news" a certain person likes to throw out there for every unflattering story about him.  I have my complaints about the media, including their need to get it out the quickest, but they are right more often than not and are only as good as the information that is out there.

Now that cracked me up.

21 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Good post. 

3 hours ago, IUALUM03 said:

Bad media coverage does not equate to conspiracy...so I'm not sure where that comes from.

Being "right more often than not" is not some miraculous achievement. When they're wrong because they feel the need to be the first to tell the story...it can ruin lives, families and careers. You're speaking out of both sides of your mouth. You have "complaints", their need to "get it out the quickest"...these are a few things that make the media garbage. And if you think that "fake news" started with Donald Trump, or that any of this has to do with the President's media coverage, then you're a bit behind on the times. 

4 hours ago, IUALUM03 said:

Didn't mean to open up the can of worms as to the larger media coverage in today's world so I'll remain silent on that myself...however, in this particular media story somebody dropped the ball on tying up loose ends.

From a PR perspective, Sean's name was dragged through the mud big time (by me included)...however, now I don't even know what actually happened. Partially due to my laziness probably, but I'm guessing more to do with ESPNs coverage. 

1 hour ago, cohete15 said:

Bad media coverage does not equate to conspiracy...so I'm not sure where that comes from.

Being "right more often than not" is not some miraculous achievement. When they're wrong because they feel the need to be the first to tell the story...it can ruin lives, families and careers. You're speaking out of both sides of your mouth. You have "complaints", their need to "get it out the quickest"...these are a few things that make the media garbage. And if you think that "fake news" started with Donald Trump, or that any of this has to do with the President's media coverage, then you're a bit behind on the times. 

The Arizona story doesn't have to do with Trump, but he did coin the term fake news and has admitted he says that about stories he doesn't like rather than about stories he knows to be untrue. That's incredibly dangerous language from a President. 

On 6/18/2018 at 10:32 PM, KoB2011 said:

The Arizona story doesn't have to do with Trump, but he did coin the term fake news and has admitted he says that about stories he doesn't like rather than about stories he knows to be untrue. That's incredibly dangerous language from a President. 

This isn't a conversation about the President (I never made it one), nor a partisan conversation, because it's a non-partisan, non-political, overall, worldly issue. Fact is, the court of public opinion is the strongest of courts these days. Opinion is created/influenced by the media. What's dangerous language, is false language, misinformed language, partial truth language, and partial stories from anyone...but especially the outlets that have an extremely strong influence on opinion...ie: mainstream media. This type of language is rampant with new "media" outlets popping up every day. The competition amongst media outlets becoming stiffer and stiffer as times change. This competition creates this "first to report" mindset. It creates click bait. Partial truth headlines, that if someone were to actually read an article, would find the headline to be idiotic. It creates "shares" on facebook, retweets on twitter. Everyone knows this stuff is real, so it's not really a debate.

Maybe Sean Miller is as guilty as they come, but it went from ESPN dropping one of the biggest NCAA bombshells of my life, to definite loss of job, to UA not buckling to public pressure, to decommits, to now, utter silence and business as usual with a cloud hanging overhead. 

2 hours ago, cohete15 said:

This isn't a conversation about the President (I never made it one), nor a partisan conversation, because it's a non-partisan, non-political, overall, worldly issue. Fact is, the court of public opinion is the strongest of courts these days. Opinion is created/influenced by the media. What's dangerous language, is false language, misinformed language, partial truth language, and partial stories from anyone...but especially the outlets that have an extremely strong influence on opinion...ie: mainstream media. This type of language is rampant with new "media" outlets popping up every day. The competition amongst media outlets becoming stiffer and stiffer as times change. This competition creates this "first to report" mindset. It creates click bait. Partial truth headlines, that if someone were to actually read an article, would find the headline to be idiotic. It creates "shares" on facebook, retweets on twitter. Everyone knows this stuff is real, so it's not really a debate.

Maybe Sean Miller is as guilty as they come, but it went from ESPN dropping one of the biggest NCAA bombshells of my life, to definite loss of job, to UA not buckling to public pressure, to decommits, to now, utter silence and business as usual with a cloud hanging overhead. 

For Sean MIller's sake, this needs to be resolved sooner rather than later.  His program will likely take a significant hit this year because of the damage members of the national media did to him.  maybe deserved, maybe not, but letting him just twist in the wind with a cloud of uncertainty seems a little cruel to me.  If they had something significant but weren't ready to move on him, leaking seems bush league to me.  Either way, for me, just as big a cloud of suspicion hangs over the FBI these days...not quite the white knights I always viewed them as...

2 hours ago, cohete15 said:

They are only giving what the consumer is wanting and seeking with less resources than probably at any point in history.  Local newspapers are working with minimal staff, yet being asked to create more and more content they can regurgitate over again and collect clicks.  All this is happening while idiots constantly complaining in comments sections on why should they have to pay for information, yet criticizing typos because the media source can't afford a proper amount of editors to their staff.   You get what you pay for and the consumer dictates often what is being offered.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

For Sean MIller's sake, this needs to be resolved sooner rather than later.  His program will likely take a significant hit this year because of the damage members of the national media did to him.  maybe deserved, maybe not, but letting him just twist in the wind with a cloud of uncertainty seems a little cruel to me.  If they had something significant but weren't ready to move on him, leaking seems bush league to me.  Either way, for me, just as big a cloud of suspicion hangs over the FBI these days...not quite the white knights I always viewed them as...

As I said before, if Arizona had any evidence that he did anything wrong, He would be gone by now. I think ESPN and their hack job of reporting screwed the pooch on this and won't go back and correct the issue. Rather than admitting their mistake, they are letting Sean's reputation continue to suffer. That is why I said I hope he sues them, but I doubt Arizona will let him due to the revenue they receive from ESPN broadcasting all of their sports.

Best possible outcome is Walton shows up stoned (likely) as commentator for one of their games and goes off on ESPN (less likely) for it and promptly gets fired.

15 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Rather than admitting their mistake, they are letting Sean's reputation continue to suffer. That is why I said I hope he sues them, but I doubt Arizona will let him due to the revenue they receive from ESPN broadcasting all of their sports.

Best possible outcome is Walton shows up stoned (likely) as commentator for one of their games and goes off on ESPN (less likely) for it and promptly gets fired.

More likely, the reason AZ would discourage a suit is due to what would potentially come out during discovery.  If Sean is innocent, he has a slam dunk civil judgment here.  I think AZ would at least allow him to seek settlement/compensation.

...and the Walton comment was hilarious...well played...

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

FBI has never deserved to have a good reputation.  It’s a good thing people are finally seeing the light.

10 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

FBI has never deserved to have a good reputation.  It’s a good thing people are finally seeing the light.

I'm an optimist...I like to think that lady justice is blind, even though I know there will always be some bad apples.  Lately, it seems way too many, and certainly way more than I expected, are bad apples with all sorts of unfair biases.  Hopefully, all the exposure they are getting will make our law and justice people think twice about their fairness in doling out their version of justice in the future.

...and yes...that's after reading about J. Edgar Hoover...what a tool.

Its a travesty what has unfolded at the FBI. 

As far as news outlets, I've learned you have to be extra cautious with all sources. Just today ABC News retracted their headline that Paul Manafort was a mass murderer. WTF is going on at these places?

40 minutes ago, Reacher said:

As far as news outlets, I've learned you have to be extra cautious with all sources. Just today ABC News retracted their headline that Paul Manafort was a mass murderer. WTF is going on at these places?

Good Lord...

21 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

More likely, the reason AZ would discourage a suit is due to what would potentially come out during discovery.  If Sean is innocent, he has a slam dunk civil judgment here.  I think AZ would at least allow him to seek settlement/compensation.

...and the Walton comment was hilarious...well played...

Thanks. Your first paragraph makes really good sense as another reason not to sue.

19 hours ago, Reacher said:

What? Are they saying because of some of the shady things he has been a part of he is somehow a murdered himself? 

Paul Manafort is a lot of things, and will very likely go to jail for the rest of his life, but I don't really see the logical path to calling him a mass murderer.

53 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

What? Are they saying because of some of the shady things he has been a part of he is somehow a murdered himself? 

Paul Manafort is a lot of things, and will very likely go to jail for the rest of his life, but I don't really see the logical path to calling him a mass murderer.

Here is a story that tries to explain how it happened-

http://www.newscaststudio.com/2018/06/20/abc-news-paul-manafort/

I don't know Sean Miller.  Obviously, since his brother is Archie, I hope the he's not as dirty as the FBI tape seems to indicate.  

However, I'm skeptical.  

Without divulging into politics, I see no reason to assume members of the FBI would risk their careers to frame Sean Miller.  I highly doubt many of them really care about Sean Miller's recruiting methods.  

However, I do see a reason Sean Miller would break recruiting laws and then lie about it.  That scenario is pretty plausible.  

I suppose there's exceptions- Duke lacrosse is a very good example that defendants need to be presumed innocent.  But still, I find it funny that some people on here really do believe the FBI is determined to bring down Sean Miller and willing to risk their own jobs, and possibly go to jail, all because they want to frame Sean Miller.  

18 minutes ago, Blazin Hazin said:

I don't know Sean Miller.  Obviously, since his brother is Archie, I hope the he's not as dirty as the FBI tape seems to indicate.  

However, I'm skeptical.  

Without divulging into politics, I see no reason to assume members of the FBI would risk their careers to frame Sean Miller.  I highly doubt many of them really care about Sean Miller's recruiting methods.  

However, I do see a reason Sean Miller would break recruiting laws and then lie about it.  That scenario is pretty plausible.  

I suppose there's exceptions- Duke lacrosse is a very good example that defendants need to be presumed innocent.  But still, I find it funny that some people on here really do believe the FBI is determined to bring down Sean Miller and willing to risk their own jobs, and possibly go to jail, all because they want to frame Sean Miller.  

Based on the constant deluge of leaks to the press, I don’t think many federal law enforcement officials are very concerned about the potential consequences right now.

1 hour ago, Blazin Hazin said:

However, I'm skeptical.  

I'm in the camp that thinks it's absolutely possible that BOTH parties are dirty.  Obviously, I don't think the entire FBI is dirty.  I'm just shocked at how many of them have been exposed for less than flattering behavior.  I'd like to think that character is screened heavily in the FBI hiring process. Unfortunately, it appears that process has a lot of holes and/or a lot of FBI employees who started out as straight arrows have become tainted over time.

2 hours ago, Blazin Hazin said:

However, I'm skeptical.  

It seems to me there is a third option; the leak didn't come from the FBI and it wasn't Sean Miller. 

It is entirely possible someone leaked a tape that wasn't Sean Miller and ESPN ran with it, reporting the facts as best they knew them. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It seems to me there is a third option; the leak didn't come from the FBI and it wasn't Sean Miller. 

It is entirely possible someone leaked a tape that wasn't Sean Miller and ESPN ran with it, reporting the facts as best they knew them. 

I love the ESPN take.

Archived