FBI wiretaps show Sean Miller discussing $100k payments.

milehiiu

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imo this is like the steroid era in baseball...it is far reaching and no one is 100% clean. Not sure when this stuff all started but I’m starting to think Knight might be the all-time winningst coach that didn’t have cheating at his programs. He has been passed by others and will continue to be in the future but I now question the way these guys have achieved all this success. It’s kinda disgusting how they all deny while letting these shoe companies do the dirty work of paying their recruits.

14 hours ago, dgambill said:

Imo this is like the steroid era in baseball...it is far reaching and no one is 100% clean. Not sure when this stuff all started but I’m starting to think Knight might be the all-time winningst coach that didn’t have cheating at his programs. He has been passed by others and will continue to be in the future but I now question the way these guys have achieved all this success. It’s kinda disgusting how they all deny while letting these shoe companies do the dirty work of paying their recruits.

Nah....cheating was around before Knight, during Knight, and after Knight.  The thing is that cheating has morphed during all those years.  That is to say that it has changed it's angles.  And let's not wear our glasses when looking at Bobby.  He "mentored" some pretty "shady" people.  And he hired some pretty "shady" people.

So, correct me if I’m wrong, but the FBI has information on several major programs, but none will be punished for fear of the NCAA losing billions of dollars. That’s just my general summary, which is sad because they’re essentially telling kids that integrity no longer exists. I hope that I’m wrong, because KU, U of L, MSU, UNC and several others should be made an example... just like Indiana was for something that was perfectly legal a year or two later.

16 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

So, correct me if I’m wrong, but the FBI has information on several major programs, but none will be punished for fear of the NCAA losing billions of dollars. That’s just my general summary, which is sad because they’re essentially telling kids that integrity no longer exists. I hope that I’m wrong, because KU, U of L, MSU, UNC and several others should be made an example... just like Indiana was for something that was perfectly legal a year or two later.

At some point in time one has to wonder....Why exactly did the FBI get involved in this?

12 minutes ago, rico said:

At some point in time one has to wonder....Why exactly did the FBI get involved in this?

If I remember correctly the FBI was investigating someone and that person rolled over and tipped them off to the bribery and extortion going on with assistants, agents, and shoe money.

4 hours ago, rico said:

Nah....cheating was around before Knight, during Knight, and after Knight.  The thing is that cheating has morphed during all those years.  That is to say that it has changed it's angles.  And let's not wear our glasses when looking at Bobby.  He "mentored" some pretty "shady" people.  And he hired some pretty "shady" people.

I'm not saying everyone was perfect but I hadn't heard of any players getting any major benefits etc while Bobby was here....and given how outspoken and angry he was against Wooden for what happened under his watch I would think Knight had to think his own house was in pretty good shape to come out like that. Again...not saying everything was perfect...but I can't imagine guys taking chances under him to go against his wishes in bucking the system and facing his wraith.....now after he was gone and IU and diminished on the college basketball stage or some of these guys at other stops weren't able to live up to the high levels they had accomplished while here I could see them reaching for "answers" to their problems. I will say though...my memory and knowledge is not as good as yours but if you have something specific I would be interested to know. You always amaze me with what I learn from you.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I'm not saying everyone was perfect but I hadn't heard of any players getting any major benefits etc while Bobby was here....and given how outspoken and angry he was against Wooden for what happened under his watch I would think Knight had to think his own house was in pretty good shape to come out like that. Again...not saying everything was perfect...but I can't imagine guys taking chances under him to go against his wishes in bucking the system and facing his wraith.....now after he was gone and IU and diminished on the college basketball stage or some of these guys at other stops weren't able to live up to the high levels they had accomplished while here I could see them reaching for "answers" to their problems. I will say though...my memory and knowledge is not as good as yours but if you have something specific I would be interested to know. You always amaze me with what I learn from you.

#1.....Lawrence Funderbuke.......a lot of people forget that IU violated NCAA rules in his recruitment.

3 hours ago, rico said:

I suspect given I work in a major financial institution and the scrutiny that is involved in cash deposits and wiring money...the government found out through the banks. Due to all the regulations that have been passed the last few years we are basically little brother to the govt now. We are responsible for gathering tons of information about our customers now...even for simple checking accounts. Where they work, how long, how much they make, how much they keep at other banks, where their money comes from etc etc. We actively monitor peoples accounts for unusual activity and notify the govt when necessary. If you make 100,000 a year as an addidas rep yet you funnel several hundreds of thousands of dollars through your accounts or make large wires you are begging to get caught. During those wires we ask about who is receiving it and what for etc...you lie or it doesn't pass the smell test another way the govt gets you. Also if you are living pay check to pay check with no money in the bank and you start depositing thousands of dollars or get large wires...another red flag. If you are on disability and earn 15k a year but suddenly deposit 10-20 k in cash....come on...something is fishy. We don't know if that is drug money or money laundering etc but we notify and I'm sure amongst other things that is what tipped off the FBI. Honestly to me the people that are worst at fault in all this....the media....come on...if you are doing your job you can't raise questions how a poor family in the inner city suddenly can move to the suburbs and a kid in college with no job is riding around in a lexus? You aren't doing your job...you aren't digging...you aren't asking questions...because you don't want to know...you don't want to bite the hands that feed you...the people that give you access...and the programs that pay provide your tv advertising dollars with their games. It all smells and I doubt much comes of it. Corrupt media, NCAA, shoe companies, runners, parents, coaches....list goes on forever.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

#1.....Lawrence Funderbuke.......a lot of people forget that IU violated NCAA rules in his recruitment.

Hmm...I thought Kentucky was the one tampering with him. Didn't know it was Knight. I mean the kid had to sue to get out of IU..you would think if we did something impermissible he would have easily been allowed to leave. Guess I missed that story...although there was a ton of stuff surrounding him....probably stuff that ended Knights run at the top of the recruiting world....after that class not sure we ever really recovered again.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I suspect given I work in a major financial institution and the scrutiny that is involved in cash deposits and wiring money...the government found out through the banks. Due to all the regulations that have been passed the last few years we are basically little brother to the govt now. We are responsible for gathering tons of information about our customers now...even for simple checking accounts. Where they work, how long, how much they make, how much they keep at other banks, where their money comes from etc etc. We actively monitor peoples accounts for unusual activity and notify the govt when necessary. If you make 100,000 a year as an addidas rep yet you funnel several hundreds of thousands of dollars through your accounts or make large wires you are begging to get caught. During those wires we ask about who is receiving it and what for etc...you lie or it doesn't pass the smell test another way the govt gets you. Also if you are living pay check to pay check with no money in the bank and you start depositing thousands of dollars or get large wires...another red flag. If you are on disability and earn 15k a year but suddenly deposit 10-20 k in cash....come on...something is fishy. We don't know if that is drug money or money laundering etc but we notify and I'm sure amongst other things that is what tipped off the FBI. Honestly to me the people that are worst at fault in all this....the media....come on...if you are doing your job you can't raise questions how a poor family in the inner city suddenly can move to the suburbs and a kid in college with no job is riding around in a lexus? You aren't doing your job...you aren't digging...you aren't asking questions...because you don't want to know...you don't want to bite the hands that feed you...the people that give you access...and the programs that pay provide your tv advertising dollars with their games. It all smells and I doubt much comes of it. Corrupt media, NCAA, shoe companies, runners, parents, coaches....list goes on forever.

Great post.......but this is not a new thing.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hmm...I thought Kentucky was the one tampering with him. Didn't know it was Knight. I mean the kid had to sue to get out of IU..you would think if we did something impermissible he would have easily been allowed to leave. Guess I missed that story...although there was a ton of stuff surrounding him....probably stuff that ended Knights run at the top of the recruiting world....after that class not sure we ever really recovered again.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1989/08/23/Indiana-releases-report-on-Funderburke-incident/1875619848000/

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I have mentioned it several times on the other boards. Several guys drove new Corvettes around campus in the mid-70's.

Could they afford such a ride then? Booster help? They sure weren't hiding the fact that they had the cars

Then there is always Bruce Pearl who while at Iowa, recorded phone calls which proved Illinois players were getting benefits.  Instead of nailing Illinois, the NCAA extended an already existing prohibition.

All the while I was reading Illinois fanboards, with posters who were students at the time who claimed seeing Illini players driving not just new Blazers, but expensive cars all over campus at the time.

The NCAA was ineffective back then. And they will continue to be ineffective now....... UNCHEAT. "Wheels for Heels."

Just now, milehiiu said:

Then there is always Bruce Pearl who while at Iowa, recorded phone calls which proved Illinois players were getting benefits.  Instead of nailing Illinois, the NCAA extended an already existing prohibition.

All the while I was reading Illinois fanboards, with poster who were students at the time who claimed seeing Illini players driving not just new Blazers, but expensive cars all over campus at the time.

The NCAA was ineffective back then. And they will continue to be ineffective now....... UNCHEAT.

And I was at USI while Bruce was there and had a couple friends on the team and played ball with the guys at the PAC many times. Pearl took the guys that got kicked off Michigan and other schools teams and they magically showed up and got jobs at Dean Patrick detailing cars and were suddenly driving around campus with brand new cars as well. Bruce was a super nice guy...loved his class I had and great around campus but guy was dirtier than a pair of sweaty gym socks no doubt lol.

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I have mentioned it several times on the other boards. Several guys drove new Corvettes around campus in the mid-70's.

Could they afford such a ride then? Booster help? They sure weren't hiding the fact that they had the cars

Didn't know that...of course I wasn't born yet but that surprises me that was going on and Knight had the balls to call out Wooden on basically the same thing.

Another ruse employed by many colleges at the time.  Have a "booster" friend who owned a new car dealership.... direct a player to drive a car (either his or someone else) to the dealership at the start of school, and drop it off for "repairs".  Provide the player with a "loaner" car, until the "repair" work was getting finished.  Of course, it took all school year for the "repair" work to get completed.

Actually this one was used over and over again by Coach Pitino, who's "girlfriend" at the time...was the daughter of the owner of several car dealerships. 

I cannot help but wonder if / when this would spill over into the real cash cow - football.  I am probably crazy, but I would love to see SEC football be brought down knowing what has transpired with recruiting in that conference.

I know football is a different animal as far as shoe companies involvement goes.... however, with the comfort and complacency of the filth involved in basketball recruiting accepting "this is how it works", how can football be any different?

Archived