FBI wiretaps show Sean Miller discussing $100k payments.

milehiiu

2 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

I cannot help but wonder if / when this would spill over into the real cash cow - football.  I am probably crazy, but I would love to see SEC football be brought down knowing what has transpired with recruiting in that conference.

I know football is a different animal as far as shoe companies involvement goes.... however, with the comfort and complacency of the filth involved in basketball recruiting accepting "this is how it works", how can football be any different?

Just my take.  Football is a completely different animal.  The rules are why.  The rosters are why.  I imagine there is corruption there, but not like CBB.  

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Not at all surprised that Will Wade would be involved.  He went from nowhere to a monster class.  Ticks me off how coaches try to leapfrog the competition by cheating instead of putting in the time and effort to get there the right way.

11 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

More smoke around Kansas. And smoke around Zion WIlliamson = more smoke around Duke. 

Really curious to see what happens if/when Nike gets pulled into this - it’s their schools that usually get a good 75% of the top ten recruits every year. 

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am wondering if the teams will not play the players whose names has come up in this trial because they might be deemed ineligible.

I believe the NCAA to be so inept they will use the FBI as an excuse.

"The FBI told us to do nothing until their investigation was done.  The tournament is over, nothing we can do about it now.". Also, "FBIs investigation, so they can handle the penalties".  I kid somewhat, but my feelings are the same.

Toothless organization of ineptitude.  I am wondering how those turds will look when this is all over.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Not directly on topic, but I figure this is as good a thread as any to post this in.  Looks like universities and shoe companies will be paying 5 star recruits for 3 more years at least.  

...but at $125K in the G league, at least they'll have some stiff competition.

54 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

...but at $125K in the G league, at least they'll have some stiff competition.

To me, the interesting part here is if you're a G-League Team/NBA affiliate, who are you giving $125K to? Am I giving it to Barrett, Zion Williamson, and/or Langford? Yeah, sure. 

But take guys like De Sousa (guys ranked 25-50ish) from Kansas. We know he got offered $60K by Under Armour/Maryland and Kansas beat that to get him. But, he was ranked around 40, I believe, in his high school class. Why would a G-League team outbid Adidas for him? This seems like a band-aid at best. Also, if the top 15 or so guys in the class are off to the G-League for $125k, that makes a guy like De Sousa even more valuable to Kansas because then he's actually ranked closer to 25th in terms of the available players. 

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

To me, the interesting part here is if you're a G-League Team/NBA affiliate, who are you giving $125K to? Am I giving it to Barrett, Zion Williamson, and/or Langford? Yeah, sure. 

But take guys like De Sousa (guys ranked 25-50ish) from Kansas. We know he got offered $60K by Under Armour/Maryland and Kansas beat that to get him. But, he was ranked around 40, I believe, in his high school class. Why would a G-League team outbid Adidas for him? This seems like a band-aid at best. Also, if the top 15 or so guys in the class are off to the G-League for $125k, that makes a guy like De Sousa even more valuable to Kansas because then he's actually ranked closer to 25th in terms of the available players. 

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind too.  I keep hoping that the shoe companies are running scared at the moment and that three years from now, the problem is solved by letting high school kids make the leap.  At the very least, it's a game-changer.  If I'm good enough to make pretty good money in the G league, do I take the clean money even if it's a little less?  I'm hoping they do...or at least most of them do.

48 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Another thing I would wonder about is how some of the veteran players in the G-League will respond to some 18 year old kid coming in and making way more than they are.

NEW YORK -- An attorney representing one of the three men accused of a pay-for-play scheme to influence high-profile recruits to sign with Adidas-sponsored schools alleged during closing arguments on Thursday that Kansas coach Bill Self was aware that an improper payment was made to at least one Jayhawks recruit.

Michael Schachter, an attorney for Adidas executive James Gatto, told the jury that Gatto approved a $20,000 payment to Fenny Falmagne, the guardian of current Kansas player Silvio De Sousa, only after Self and Kansas assistant Kurtis Townsend requested the payment through former Adidas consultant T.J. Gassnola.

"The evidence, I submit, shows that Kansas' head coach knew of and asked for a payment to be made to Silvio De Sousa's handler," Schachter told the jury. "More than that, Coach Self requested just the kind of help that Mr. Gassnola arranged as a condition for Coach Self to permit Adidas to continue their sponsorship agreement with the University of Kansas."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25018425/attorney-adidas-executive-says-20k-payment-only-made-request-kansas-jayhawks-coach-bill-self

Townsend presented by defense attorneys indicated the coaches were at least aware of Gassnola's involvement in the Jayhawks' recruitment of De Sousa, a native of Angola.

On Aug. 9, 2017, Townsend texted Gassnola and wrote, "Coach Self just talked to Fenny let me know how it goes."

A few hours later, Gassnola texted Self: "Hall of Fame. When you have 5 minutes and your [sic] alone call me."

Later that night, after Self hadn't responded, Gassnola texted him again: "I talked with Fenny."

"We good?" Self asked.

"Always," Gassnola replied. "That's [sic] was light work. Ball is in his court now."

"Coach Self and Coach Townsend asked for Adidas' help in making this payment to Fenny," Schachter said. "And then Coach Self wanted to know if Adidas told Fenny that the payment would be made, and then the ball is in his court."

On 10/17/2018 at 9:48 AM, rico said:

What does that have to do with Self.

Gosh. I never that in that way before you mentioned it, and IUaic confirmed it.  Great team constructed by Self, that Bruce Weber just rode the wave.  After that, Bruce went down hill, year after year.  Only reason Weber did  not get fired sooner than he did was because of a tight relationship with the then current AD.

Self moves on to Kansas, and we know what he has accomplished there.... though now in question.... and Bruce just went down hill year after year at Illinois.

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

NEW YORK -- An attorney representing one of the three men accused of a pay-for-play scheme to influence high-profile recruits to sign with Adidas-sponsored schools alleged during closing arguments on Thursday that Kansas coach Bill Self was aware that an improper payment was made to at least one Jayhawks recruit.

Michael Schachter, an attorney for Adidas executive James Gatto, told the jury that Gatto approved a $20,000 payment to Fenny Falmagne, the guardian of current Kansas player Silvio De Sousa, only after Self and Kansas assistant Kurtis Townsend requested the payment through former Adidas consultant T.J. Gassnola.

"The evidence, I submit, shows that Kansas' head coach knew of and asked for a payment to be made to Silvio De Sousa's handler," Schachter told the jury. "More than that, Coach Self requested just the kind of help that Mr. Gassnola arranged as a condition for Coach Self to permit Adidas to continue their sponsorship agreement with the University of Kansas."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25018425/attorney-adidas-executive-says-20k-payment-only-made-request-kansas-jayhawks-coach-bill-self

Townsend presented by defense attorneys indicated the coaches were at least aware of Gassnola's involvement in the Jayhawks' recruitment of De Sousa, a native of Angola.

On Aug. 9, 2017, Townsend texted Gassnola and wrote, "Coach Self just talked to Fenny let me know how it goes."

A few hours later, Gassnola texted Self: "Hall of Fame. When you have 5 minutes and your [sic] alone call me."

Later that night, after Self hadn't responded, Gassnola texted him again: "I talked with Fenny."

"We good?" Self asked.

"Always," Gassnola replied. "That's [sic] was light work. Ball is in his court now."

"Coach Self and Coach Townsend asked for Adidas' help in making this payment to Fenny," Schachter said. "And then Coach Self wanted to know if Adidas told Fenny that the payment would be made, and then the ball is in his court."

How can the NCAA not seek an inquiry into the Kansas program after this

4 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

"We good?" Self asked.

And all this coming from the president of the National Association of Basketball Coaches.  Just a blip.

19 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree that guys like De Sousa will be more valuable to Kansas, but less valuable to adidas because they can just go after the top 15 guys who went to the G-League and sign them outright instead of paying them to go to an adidas school hoping they'll sign with adidas when they go pro. Throw in the FBI charges and it might deter shoe companies from paying college kids anymore. I'm sure they'll still get paid, it will just go back to boosters and World Wide Wes types I suppose.

Archived