FBI wiretaps show Sean Miller discussing $100k payments.

milehiiu

This is so dumb.  This wasn't even text, it sounds like it was Lasko that verbally communicated it and not an Ostrom text. Also, does anyone know if this person is in relation to the same Lasko that was a walk=on on the team last year, but is no longer on the team? I will also add that "willing to do what it takes" could mean a number of things that are legal. 

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

This is so dumb.  This wasn't even text, it sounds like it was Lasko that verbally communicated it and not an Ostrom text. Also, does anyone know if this person is in relation to the same Lasko that was a walk=on on the team last year, but is no longer on the team? I will also add that "willing to do what it takes" could mean a number of things that are legal. 

Lasko is father of walk on from last year. 

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I get what you are saying.  But, here's the thing.  I have no smoking gun on John Calipari.  But, you could try and convince me now until the cows come home that he doesn't cheat.  I'm not going to believe you.  While John himself may not soil his dainty little hands, he allows it to happen in his program.  There is little doubt in my mind.  I despise UK and all it represents.  If I'm not just as disgusted if the same thing is going on at IU, then I am just being a hypocrite.  

In all fairness Fouls, you can't compare Calipari. He's obviously in a world by himself, with two vacated FF's, and of course UK is like the most sanctioned school ever. 

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I get what you are saying.  But, here's the thing.  I have no smoking gun on John Calipari.  But, you could try and convince me now until the cows come home that he doesn't cheat.  I'm not going to believe you.  While John himself may not soil his dainty little hands, he allows it to happen in his program.  There is little doubt in my mind.  I despise UK and all it represents.  If I'm not just as disgusted if the same thing is going on at IU, then I am just being a hypocrite.  

I don't disagree with you and if the NCAA really wanted to investigate Cal they would find what they need eventually. They just don't want to. 

I'm not saying Ostrom nor any one else on our staff has never implied they would play ball here. Maybe they did. The only player Archie has brought in worth paying is Romeo and I highly doubt he was asking for money to begin with. The point is, if our coaches were trying to get involved in this they better knock it off. That being said I'm not going to worry about getting caught paying for players we didn't recruit. If anything we are probably lucky this broke when it did or the pressure to play ball with Adidas would have eventually cracked our staff. I firmly believe Crean refused which is why he lost out on so much talent who appeared to be interested at one time or another. I see this as a non issue for IU at this point. Something much more than the text messages in question will need to come to light before I start worrying in the slightest. 

15 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

C428B909-07D1-4711-BDCA-4D1A3C45EB47.jpeg

I have read this thing over and over again and do not see anything that seems incriminating!!! 

.......I am from Indiana and Coach Ostrom asked me for an update. "They are super willing to do what it takes to RECRUIT Silvio. Is that something of interest for us?"

Are they trying to squeeze blood from a turnip? Good grief!! This is how I read this and fully interpret it....

super willing = very motivated, very interested, top of the list....

what it takes= scheduling, campus visits/in home, recruit contact info......

RECRUIT= GO AFTER, SHOW EXTREME INTEREST, REACH OUT, REGULARLY CONTACT.....

Nowhere, does it mention anything about money bribe, improper rules violations, cheating or even a slimy coach. It is just a coach who really wants a kid and wants him to know that IU wants him. He is basically asking...."Do we have shot at him? We want him to know that we REALLY want him, if he is interested...PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

If I am way off, then so be it. That is how I see this one, bottom line!

That's the thing, those reading this as evidence are basing it on what they think, and it's all second hand BS anyway. It remains possible that there's some actual evidence, at some point, that actually comes out showing IU staff doing actually doing something wrong. But this isn't anyone putting their head in the sand, there's no actual evidence of any actual wrongdoing out there about IU staff right now. There just isn't.

I am in the camp that continues to see no reason to worry and hand-wring over a complete absence of evidence of actual wrongdoing, unless and until there's actual evidence or even direct allegations about IU. 

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

In all fairness Fouls, you can't compare Calipari. He's obviously in a world by himself, with two vacated FF's, and of course UK is like the most sanctioned school ever. 

True.  But a year ago I would not have expected Kansas to cheat at the level they are accused of doing.  I would not have expected Creighton to be offering 6 figures to a recruit.  My point is that just because there is no smoking gun does not mean there is not something wrong.  We can posture all we want, but it just makes us look even worse as a fan base if it turns out there is something shady out there.  

We need to admit it is a possibility, actively campaign to find more about the context of what was in that message, and demand it get fixed if something is wrong.  Just think how happier Louisville would be right now if they would have made the appropriate adjustments at the first sign of trouble from Pitino.  

1 minute ago, Hoosier82 said:

I don't disagree with you and if the NCAA really wanted to investigate Cal they would find what they need eventually. They just don't want to. 

I'm not saying Ostrom nor any one else on our staff has never implied they would play ball here. Maybe they did. The only player Archie has brought in worth paying is Romeo and I highly doubt he was asking for money to begin with. The point is, if our coaches were trying to get involved in this they better knock it off. That being said I'm not going to worry about getting caught paying for players we didn't recruit. If anything we are probably lucky this broke when it did or the pressure to play ball with Adidas would have eventually cracked our staff. I firmly believe Crean refused which is why he lost out on so much talent who appeared to be interested at one time or another. I see this as a non issue for IU at this point. Something much more than the text messages in question will need to come to light before I start worrying in the slightest. 

Where I am as well. I see no reason to worry about anything, period.

Just now, 5fouls said:

True.  But a year ago I would not have expected Kansas to cheat at the level they are accused of doing.  I would not have expected Creighton to be offering 6 figures to a recruit.  My point is that just because there is no smoking gun does not mean there is not something wrong.  We can posture all we want, but it just makes us look even worse as a fan base if it turns out there is something shady out there.  

We need to admit it is a possibility, actively campaign to find more about the context of what was in that message, and demand it get fixed if something is wrong.  Just think how happier Louisville would be right now if they would have made the appropriate adjustments at the first sign of trouble from Pitino.  

Bill Self has cheated longer than anyone not named Calipari, Pitino or Sam Gilbert. Just been a matter of time for Dollar Bill. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

I think some people are misinterpreting what happened here.  Defense counsel for Adidas exec Jim Gatto was trying to introduce a number of text messages transcripts he had in his possession to show that TJ Gassnola, another former Adidas employee whom the prosecution called as a witness, was lying when he testified that Kansas officials didn’t know about the payments to De Sousa.

The text message the defense counsel tried to introduce implicating Ostrom was a text from Jon Lasko, a member of the board of directors of De Sousa’s Florida-based AAU team, to Fenny Falmagne, De Sousa’s guardian.  Neither of these guys were Adidas employees.

But that is a great catch by you on the Lasko connection... Ethan Lasko walked on at IU last year, and prior to that, he played for the Florida Vipers AAU team with De Sousa in 2017.  I’m sure he’s related to Jon Lasko... Veryyyy interesting.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

But I don't think anyone is saying there is "no possibility" -- it's not posturing. There are actual allegations, direct alleged wrongdoing concerning KU and Creighton, etc. None re IU. 

Folks - this is a non story. Nobody is even talking about this other than us. The only mention of Indiana by any sports guy other than Dakich is Goodman who tweeted in 2 weeks that “Indiana plays Chicago State.” If there’s anything to worry about (which there isn’t) its of the report of Crean being very receptive to Gassanola a few years back at HH (and even this I wouldn’t worry about). 

43 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

C428B909-07D1-4711-BDCA-4D1A3C45EB47.jpeg

I have read this thing over and over again and do not see anything that seems incriminating!!! 

.......I am from Indiana and Coach Ostrom asked me for an update. "They are super willing to do what it takes to RECRUIT Silvio. Is that something of interest for us?"

Are they trying to squeeze blood from a turnip? Good grief!! This is how I read this and fully interpret it....

super willing = very motivated, very interested, top of the list....

what it takes= scheduling, campus visits/in home, recruit contact info......

RECRUIT= GO AFTER, SHOW EXTREME INTEREST, REACH OUT, REGULARLY CONTACT.....

Nowhere, does it mention anything about money bribe, improper rules violations, cheating or even a slimy coach. It is just a coach who really wants a kid and wants him to know that IU wants him. He is basically asking...."Do we have shot at him? We want him to know that we REALLY want him, if he is interested...PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

If I am way off, then so be it. That is how I see this one, bottom line!

I guess that Lasko guy is the father of the walk on we had last year.  With this recruitment being dirty from the beginning it does not look well for IU and if we did anything wrong everyone should be gone from the coaches to Fred Glass.

8 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

This is largely where I am.  We all know what being “super willing to do what it takes to recruit Silvio” means — anyone denying that is sticking his head in the sand.  At the same time, this text isn’t anything close to a smoking gun.  There’s more than enough plausible deniability, and we didn’t even recruit this kid very hard.  

Then there’s the fact that the NCAA is only going to investigate this as much as they absolutely have to to keep up appearances.  With as much smoke as there’s been around Kansas, they’re probably in some trouble.  But the NCAA isn’t going to dig into IU’s involvement based on this one fairly vague text message — and even if they did, there’s probably nothing to find in regard to IU and De Sousa specifically.

All this text message shows is that the IU staff is/was willing to play ball to land big-time recruits.  That should have been obvious to anyone considering how many high-profile recruits Archie got in on pretty much immediately after he got to Bloomington.  But that doesn’t really worry me... I’m pretty confident that Archie and staff are very smart about how they go about their business.  That, combined with the NCAA’s willful ignorance, should keep IU out of the headlines.

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The turn of this thread is indicative of many other things going on in the world today.....

Guilty until proven innocent

Yes and calling for everyone to be fired is insane. Similar thoughts is what ruined our program under Sampson . Let's kill ourselves so the NCAA doesnt make us look bad. INSANITY

Hoosier1987 what was so funny with my post because I said if we did do something wrong they should be fired and not right now. If people condone cheating then I don't think IU is the fan base for you and maybe should go root for KU or UK or even duke but it should not be tolerated here.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Hoosier1987 what was so funny with my post because I said if we did do something wrong they should be fired and not right now. If people condone cheating then I don't think IU is the fan base for you and maybe should go root for KU or UK or even duke but it should not be tolerated here.

My feelings exactly.  I said earlier that IF any of this is true, those involved, including FG, should be shown the door.  There should be zero tolerance where cheating is concerned.  I hope there is nothing to any of this, but if there is, blow it up and start fresh.....again

I just think IU sports are cursed because when things start looking up something happens to derail that excitement.  I hope and pray that nothing comes of this and no one did anything wrong but after listening to DD I am not so sure their is not some fire to this story.  I normally don't agree with DD but I am right there with him when said that id IU is caught cheating then things has to change and the people in charge needs to go including the BOT's.

Archived