FBI wiretaps show Sean Miller discussing $100k payments.

milehiiu

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

If the administration voluntarily blows up the program again, they are truly, unbelievably stupid.  Lawyer up and deny, deny, deny.

I actually just e-mailed Fred Glass about this situation and the football attendance as well.  I told him if this stuff is true that the coaches and himself needs to go.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Here's the thing...we know "what it took" to recruit Silvio. So IU being super willing to do "what it takes" to recruit Silvio has obvious implications behind it.

So letting the coaches son become a preferred walk on to the team couldn't be construed as doing what it takes to get another of his players to be interested in us recruiting him?? I've tried to go through this but things keep updating so fast I'm behind. I'm just wandering if us being willing to bring his AAU teammate and the AAU coach's son into the program would be a way for us to get into the deep end of recruiting him with his coach and guardian. I don't think those words are that damning imo. I mean we bend over backwards all the time trying to get in home's and fly them in for official visits. To say we want in bad for someone and will do what it takes to recruit them to me doesn't mean we did something bad....especially when we found out it takes money and then we backed off or we never even recruited them? It would be more of an issue to me if we said that....and we find out he wanted money and we stayed in the recruitment...meaning we were bidding for him and he just chose somewhere else. Way I see it we were willing to go the distance for this kid if he would open up his recruiting to us and he wasn't willing because he was on the take. Just my two cents.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So letting the coaches son become a preferred walk on to the team couldn't be construed as doing what it takes to get another of his players to be interested in us recruiting him?? I've tried to go through this but things keep updating so fast I'm behind. I'm just wandering if us being willing to bring his AAU teammate and the AAU coach's son into the program would be a way for us to get into the deep end of recruiting him with his coach and guardian. I don't think those words are that damning imo. I mean we bend over backwards all the time trying to get in home's and fly them in for official visits. To say we want in bad for someone and will do what it takes to recruit them to me doesn't mean we did something bad....especially when we found out it takes money and then we backed off or we never even recruited them? It would be more of an issue to me if we said that....and we find out he wanted money and we stayed in the recruitment...meaning we were bidding for him and he just chose somewhere else. Way I see it we were willing to go the distance for this kid if he would open up his recruiting to us and he wasn't willing because he was on the take. Just my two cents.

Well normally I would agree with you but this players recruitment has been know as dirty the whole time

Man...this Ethan Lasko (former IU walk-on/transferred) - Jon Lasko (BOD of Florida Viper) - Fenny Falmagne (legal guardian of De Sousa) connection worries me. A fortunate thing out of this unfortunate event was De Sousa ended up at KU. My guess is Ostrom possibly used his close connection with the dad Lasko to land De Sousa at some point in time, but Self-Townsend-Adidas connection was too much to overcome, and eventually Adidas paid De Sousa on behalf of KU. We would probably never know if Archie knew about this, but unless new evidences come out, he can play 'plausible deniability'. This could be a black eye, but hopefully there's no wiretap recordings or detailed arrangements Ostrom was willing to make.  'Super willing to do what it takes to recruit Silvio' can be interpreted many differently ways. 

27 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I usually would agree with you, but in this case I’m worried. 

Let us know if you can. Unless there's more information (assuming there's more information) I'm not going to lose sleep over being involved with shoe companies. It's part of the deal. No coach in a Power 5 conference that has any level of tourney success can say they haven't gone into the gray area of recruiting. I'm fine with it. 

We all hope IU runs a clean program, and we all hope that we return to our once vaunted status.  I think we will all need to get use to having our name mixed up in this stuff as long as we are in the running with the top recruits.  Even if we do nothing wrong, our association with the seedy side of college athletics will undoubtedly create questions.  

It's weird.  Tom Crean hired Kenny Johnson and Chuck Martin as assistants, yet if you asked me whether Crean or Archie ran a cleaner program, I would say Crean.  I base that on nothing Archie has done, just my belief that Crean had a line he would not cross.  

2 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

We all hope IU runs a clean program, and we all hope that we return to our once vaunted status.  I think we will all need to get use to having our name mixed up in this stuff as long as we are in the running with the top recruits.  Even if we do nothing wrong, our association with the seedy side of college athletics will undoubtedly create questions.  

My question to everyone is do you care if IU bends or even break the rules if it means us winning.  Everyone knows my views on this but was wondering what others thinks.

Just now, IU Scott said:

My question to everyone is do you care if IU bends or even break the rules if it means us winning.  Everyone knows my views on this but was wondering what others thinks.

I'm not a back alley here's cash kind of guy...but seems pretty apparent to me that Carolina, Kentucky, Duke, Louisville, Sparty, Kansas,etc....never get questioned about these things when they go to Final 4's every year. It's a gray area. One that I'm more than willing to get into in today's world. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I would rather have Crean as coach, watch bad basketball and lose versus cheat and win.  

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

If I am willfully ignorant that it is happening, then I'm going to celebrate the winning.  If it comes out that there is a minor violation, I would probably shrug it off (and, yes, we can all acknowledge that Sampson's texts were minor in the grand scheme of things).  If we are paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to a recruit, then I am pissed and probably done with major college basketball.

Yes, I know it happens at other major programs.  But, in my heart, I can't root for a corrupt program.  I can get my basketball fix from high school and the NBA.  I don't need college hoops as much as I used to think I did.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't want IU to bend or break the rules. That being said, who created the rules? Are punishments for violations of the rules meted out fairly?  Do the rules make sense?  If we can answer the last two questions as "yes" and "yes", than I unequivocally say fire the bums who break the rules.

Archived