FBI wiretaps show Sean Miller discussing $100k payments.

milehiiu

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing that makes me upset about this, is if you are going to do whatever it takes to get someone to that school to play ball, why do it for a walk on player that will ride the end of the bench?  Makes absolutely no sense.  It makes sense if something was done to land a 4* or 5* recruit but not playing dirty to land a walk on player that will more than likely never make a difference

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

It's weird.  Tom Crean hired Kenny Johnson and Chuck Martin as assistants, yet if you asked me whether Crean or Archie ran a cleaner program, I would say Crean.  I base that on nothing Archie has done, just my belief that Crean had a line he would not cross.  

There was a funny line in Waterboy. "What mama don't know won't hurt her."

Believe it was posted by BGleas a while ago, and it was Kenny Johnson that brought Noah Vonleh and Thomas Bryant. I remember I was ecstatic at that time, but also wondered 'how the hell did we get this kid?' I just assumed Kenny Johnson was a damn good recruiter, but now we know what he was about. 

In the end, I hope and want to believe nothing shady happened in Crean era. 

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

If we are bribing kids with walk in spots then we are just bad at this. 

That being said. I don’t care if Archie Miller himself gave Romeo 100,000 dollars or pesos or yen. Deny deny deny. And wait for this crap to blow over 

I don’t think giving a walk-on spot to a recruit’s teammate to give us a better shot with the recruit is a violation of any NCAA rule.  That idea was kicked around a lot on this board with Romeo and Sean East, and I’ve also seen people saying we’re doing basically the same thing with Vijay and Jalen Blackmon.

If anything negative comes of this, I will have to seriously reevaluate whether one of my passions (college bball, particularly IU bball) is really worth expending time and energy on. I'm kind of already at that point due to an aversion to how the game has been monetized  over the past couple of decades. Shoe companies. One and done factories. Recruiting ranking services. Cable sports channels vying for market share. Conference realignments. All of it is just a little much. I get that the times change and all that, and I really do love how some aspects of the game have evolved, but I feel a tad icky contributing to the "machine" sometimes. I guess there's always bird watching. 

3 minutes ago, BEKA said:

If anything negative comes of this, I will have to seriously reevaluate whether one of my passions (college bball, particularly IU bball) is really worth expending time and energy on. I'm kind of already at that point due to an aversion to how the game has been monetized  over the past couple of decades. Shoe companies. One and done factories. Recruiting ranking services. Cable sports channels vying for market share. Conference realignments. All of it is just a little much. I get that the times change and all that, and I really do love how some aspects of the game have evolved, but I feel a tad icky contributing to the "machine" sometimes. I guess there's always bird watching. 

instead of watching birds watch the NBA or Hockey??? haha

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Brad Stevens is a smart, smart man

100% this. I think he carefully analyzed the landscape and decided that he could make $$$ without worrying about walking the tightrope that is college athletics. Good on you, Brad!

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I've never heard his name associated with IU before either, but I am rarely on the board.  

As 0708 and Dan Dakich referenced, there are additional details that haven’t been shared yet that are alarming.  Based on the current info that has been documented or shared, it would seem that there isn’t much to be concerned with....the details to come don’t sound too promising

People ask why we haven't been to a Final 4 since 2002 and yet we want to immediately throw shade at the very way dozens of teams make it there. This is part of the deal. If you don't want to cheer for IU. Cool. This is the world we live in. Right or not. A meaningless text.....only we can kill ourselves before we get started. I mean...we asked for the death penalty for a couple of parking tickets with Sampson. Move on if you aren't willing to go into certain areas. 

1 minute ago, CTrojan88 said:

As 0708 and Dan Dakich referenced, there are additional details that haven’t been shared yet that are alarming.  Based on the current info that has been documented or shared, it would seem that there isn’t much to be concerned with....the details to come don’t sound too promising

Cool. When I see a direct text or call implicating our staff of ordering $ to be paid I'll get nervous. Until that point....several, several other programs should be more concerned. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

People ask why we haven't been to a Final 4 since 2002 and yet we want to immediately throw shade at the very way dozens of teams make it there. This is part of the deal. If you don't want to cheer for IU. Cool. This is the world we live in. Right or not. A meaningless text.....only we can kill ourselves before we get started. I mean...we asked for the death penalty for a couple of parking tickets with Sampson. Move on if you aren't willing to go into certain areas. 

The funny thing is - it wasn't even a text. It was a former player's dad who verbally spoke it. The last thing we need to do - as a person has suggested - is gut the whole program like we did for making too many phone calls...at that point, I don't think a program would exist. There are certain posters who need to step back from the ledge and breathe before proclaiming that the whole damn athletic department needs to be gone....again, all for (at this point) a former player's dad talking to another person.

On another note: nobody else is even talking about this other than DD. At this point it is a non story.

Listen fellas, this how the game has been for quite some time....at least in my entire lifetime.  Like it, hate it, love it....it is how it was and is.  Turn a blind eye....or be open to it.  I think the bigger issue here is not IU.......it is the NCAA.

3 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

The funny thing is - it wasn't even a text. It was a former player's dad who verbally spoke it. The last thing we need to do - as a person has suggested - is gut the whole program like we did for making too many phone calls...at that point, I don't think a program would exist. There are certain posters who need to step back from the ledge and breathe before proclaiming that the whole damn athletic department needs to be gone....again, all for (at this point) a former player's dad talking to another person.

Yep. All day long. 

This has probably already been shared before, but I just checked out the notable Power 5 programs sponsored by Adidas and they are: 

ACC:  NC State, Louisville and Miami (all implicated)

Big 12:  Kansas (implicated)

Big Ten:  IU, Nebraska and Rutgers (In my mind, Nebraska and Rutgers don't constitute high majors, despite Nebraska's recent surge)

Pac 12:  Arizona State (implicated)

SEC:  Mississippi State and Texas A&M (A&M implicated, not sure about MS State)

What does this tell me other than Adidas sponsors a lot of crappy basketball teams?  Being associated with Adidas means your school probably did some shady stuff.  To me, the good news is that they are coming down hard on all schools they have good evidence on, and IU is not one of them.  Even after all this came out this morning, I haven't seen a single headline that IU is now implicated.  Not saying we haven't done anything wrong, but don't think a meltdown is warranted.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

If I am willfully ignorant that it is happening, then I'm going to celebrate the winning.  If it comes out that there is a minor violation, I would probably shrug it off (and, yes, we can all acknowledge that Sampson's texts were minor in the grand scheme of things).  If we are paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to a recruit, then I am pissed and probably done with major college basketball.

Yes, I know it happens at other major programs.  But, in my heart, I can't root for a corrupt program.  I can get my basketball fix from high school and the NBA.  I don't need college hoops as much as I used to think I did.

Totally agree with you and it just seems like everything I use to enjoy is just getting ruined by greed

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

The thing that makes me upset about this, is if you are going to do whatever it takes to get someone to that school to play ball, why do it for a walk on player that will ride the end of the bench?  Makes absolutely no sense.  It makes sense if something was done to land a 4* or 5* recruit but not playing dirty to land a walk on player that will more than likely never make a difference

Lasko was the walk on but that is not who we might be in trouble for recruiting

53 minutes ago, Indykev said:

So we are to think from this, that a coach went to a family member of a player on the team to have them tell an AAU coach that IU is willing to buy his player? yeah ok, whatever. 

No, if it is what it looks like, we are to think that an IU assistant coach went to an AAU director (who happened to have a son on the AAU team) to have the director tell a recruit’s guardian that IU is willing to buy the guardian’s player (who was also on that AAU team).

46 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

On another note: nobody else is even talking about this other than DD. At this point it is a non story.

The mention of Ostrom was in a text from Lasko’s dad to De Sousa’s guardian.  But your point still stands, there’s absolutely no reason to blow the program up over this (or even anything worse than this).

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know it happens but it still does not make it right and don't want IU to be part of it.

Every "blue blood" has done it.  And yes, that includes us.  It is what the game has always been.  You want to preach some sort of Utopia.....doesn't exist bro.  To win is the name of the game.

I have a buddy who is a varsity coach in the southern part of he state. After Romeo committed he told me his AD who, is fairly in the know, told him that Romeo signing with IU convinced him Archie was dirty. I shrugged it off at the time and didn’t give it a second thought, or even mention it here. Now I wonder what made him say that. 

Archived