FBI wiretaps show Sean Miller discussing $100k payments.

milehiiu

43 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

This is a huge deal. A guilty verdict will only build momentum and credence towards current and future investigations. A not guilty verdict likely kills any further digging.

I think this verdict just raised the stakes and has taken the concern to a whole new level for many people wishing it would go away.

It is not.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Key quote I took from this article.  http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25072946/james-gatto-merl-code-christian-dawkins-found-guilty-college-basketball-pay-play-trial

Assistant U.S. Attorney Edward Diskant told the jury that even if the coaches were complicit in the pay-for-scheme, that doesn't excuse the defendants.

"The coaches at the universities weren't allowed to be doing this," Diskant said.

To me, this validates the fact that coaches were involved and the NCAA can not ignore it.  Even though they might.

47 minutes ago, SpiderMonkey said:

Key quote I took from this article.  http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25072946/james-gatto-merl-code-christian-dawkins-found-guilty-college-basketball-pay-play-trial

Assistant U.S. Attorney Edward Diskant told the jury that even if the coaches were complicit in the pay-for-scheme, that doesn't excuse the defendants.

"The coaches at the universities weren't allowed to be doing this," Diskant said.

To me, this validates the fact that coaches were involved and the NCAA can not ignore it.  Even though they might.

Bah, just means throw the assistant "coach" under the bus.

5 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

This is a huge deal. A guilty verdict will only build momentum and credence towards current and future investigations. A not guilty verdict likely kills any further digging.

I think this verdict just raised the stakes and has taken the concern to a whole new level for many people wishing it would go away.

It is not.

See, I kind of think the guilty verdicts might have the opposite effect.  I can already hear Dollar Bill saying, “The jury agreed that University of Kansas was an innocent victim in all of this.  As the government proved, our staff had no knowledge of these illegal payments, and never would have recruited these athletes if we had known.”  I can see the NCAA hiding behind the same BS rationalization.

Am I understanding this right, the government basically ruled that the universities and coaches were victims and not a part of these payment schemes? 

If that’s accurate and it basically allows the NCAA to do nothing here, then I’m just going to say it, I would then have no problem with IU ‘playing the game’. Essentially we have the government, NCAA, and the coaches saying cheating doesn’t matter. It’s basically like traveling in the NBA or when the shortstop gets the call second base even when he didn’t touch the bag. 

If everyone is doing it and nobody is enforcing it, then to me it’s just part of doing business. 

Did anyone catch Coach K on ‘Get Up’ this morning? Cari Champion asked him about the challenges of embracing the one and done culture, and not only did K not answer the question but he denied that Duke has embraced the one and done model. He actually said the words, ‘we haven’t embraced the one and done culture.’

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Did anyone catch Coach K on ‘Get Up’ this morning? Cari Champion asked him about the challenges of embracing the one and done culture, and not only did K not answer the question but he denied that Duke has embraced the one and done model. He actually said the words, ‘we haven’t embraced the one and done culture.’

I think K is now worse than Calipari in college basketball. Two-faced hypocrite acting like holier than thou.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I used to like K. I’m not sure if he has changed or if I just didn’t understand the kind of coach, and person, he is. I think it’s the latter. 

Reading Self comments this morning. I'll just say in my opinion I no longer care about the gray area of recruiting and I'll reiterate what I said yesterday....plenty of coaches, players families, agents, shoe company reps....almost laughing at the court case now. Self said no rules were broken and his staff will be fine. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Reading Self comments this morning. I'll just say in my opinion I no longer care about the gray area of recruiting and I'll reiterate what I said yesterday....plenty of coaches, players families, agents, shoe company reps....almost laughing at the court case now. Self said no rules were broken and his staff will be fine. 

Yeah, if when all this is somewhat over and Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, etc have all paid no price and it’s business as usual, then I’d have no problem with Indiana playing the game. 

I’m not saying I want Archie dropping off bags of cash for Zion Williamson, but if Archie needs to get Adidas involved to prevent Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc. from coming in and getting players like Langford, TJD and Brooks, then I’m completely fine with it. 

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

Am I understanding this right, the government basically ruled that the universities and coaches were victims and not a part of these payment schemes? 

If that’s accurate and it basically allows the NCAA to do nothing here, then I’m just going to say it, I would then have no problem with IU ‘playing the game’. Essentially we have the government, NCAA, and the coaches saying cheating doesn’t matter. It’s basically like traveling in the NBA or when the shortstop gets the call second base even when he didn’t touch the bag. 

If everyone is doing it and nobody is enforcing it, then to me it’s just part of doing business. 

Still don't want IU to play that game

I am sorry but it still sickens me to think the IU fan base is willing to look the other way just for us to win another championship.  I guess we should just go out and all rob banks as long as we don't get caught and everyone else is doing it.  IU fans use to stand for something and it was to win but doing it the right way and made beating programs like UK even more sweeter.  I just can't see RMK breaking rules with how outspoken he was against know cheaters and he won without stooping into that filth.  Teams like UW, butler and Villanova has proven to be able to compete without cheating so why can't IU.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am sorry but it still sickens me to think the IU fan base is willing to look the other way just for us to win another championship.  I guess we should just go out and all rob banks as long as we don't get caught and everyone else is doing it.  IU fans use to stand for something and it was to win but doing it the right way and made beating programs like UK even more sweeter.  I just can't see RMK breaking rules with how outspoken he was against know cheaters and he won without stooping into that filth.  Teams like UW, butler and Villanova has proven to be able to compete without cheating so why can't IU.

Again, Scott, can't understand your logic.

On the baseball thread you had no problem nominating players tied to the steroid scandal as your best players ever. They cheated to attain that status. YOur stance was that the players were good prior to using PEDs.

On the other hand, you react very strongly over the possibility that IU might get caught up in this cheating mess. No one ever said that"the IU fan base is" willing to look the other way", and from what I know, this current IU staff has given no reason for the fans to be concerned. Yet, you want to blow this up and make accusations. You don't want IU to "stoop into that filth", yet you have no issues supporting baseball players who did just that.

Oh, and btw, robbing a bank is a felony. Not a good comparison.

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Again, Scott, can't understand your logic.

On the baseball thread you had no problem nominating players tied to the steroid scandal as your best players ever. They cheated to attain that status. YOur stance was that the players were good prior to using PEDs.

On the other hand, you react very strongly over the possibility that IU might get caught up in this cheating mess. No one ever said that"the IU fan base is" willing to look the other way", and from what I know, this current IU staff has given no reason for the fans to be concerned. Yet, you want to blow this up and make accusations. You don't want IU to "stoop into that filth", yet you have no issues supporting baseball players who did just that.

Oh, and btw, robbing a bank is a felony. Not a good comparison.

Never said I was good with the PED and I don't think they should be in the HOF.  The question was who was the best players I saw and I remember Bond with Pittsburgh where  he was already great before suing PED.  Duke and UK probably has been the best programs I have seen the last few years talent wise but it does not mean I want IU to be like them.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

The thing is, the prosecution prosecuted the case essentially on the basis that the schools and coaches are victims. The underlying theory being that, through the conduct of the Adidas personnel and the middle men, the high school players / student athletes would eventually be ineligible, thereby hurting the schools. 

This, of course, is at best stretching the reality of the various schools/coaching staffs' involvement, and I'm wondering how it squares with the prosecution of the coaches in the separate matters. The theory will shift.

Basically, it's worth keeping in mind that the prosecution had a goal, getting convictions, which were focused on the shoe company / middle man side. This wasn't about the schools and coaching staffs' involvement. That's for another day.

19 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

It is not.

Agreed,  I saw where Christian Dawkins lawyer said he was given the chance to testify against others and he refused.I guess he thought being a martyr was better than a plea deal.  Now he stands  convicted.  I wonder if the three defendants in the upcoming trial in the spring will feel the same way seeing how things worked out for Christian? Or will they sing like birdies?

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have not heard what kind of punishment these guys could get and wonder if could cause other to think twice on doing this same thing.

Good question.  Need some of our law expert members to chime in on this.  But I view this as "victim-less crimes".

Archived