FBI wiretaps show Sean Miller discussing $100k payments.

milehiiu

4 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

I heard that the Georgia Peach basket association was major player in getting certain players to play for that cheater Naismith.

Wonder how much Converse was paying players to wear their shoes back in the day?! A day's wage was like what...a nickel? So maybe around "tree fiddy" lol.

hqdefault.jpg

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, SteveEyl said:

This article just adds to the evidence that the NCAA is a joke. How is one to read this article without rolling one’s eyes?  Jeesh!

It just infuriates me that De Sousa can’t play but Self can coach. Part of what is wrong with the system is the power these top coaches have. I sound like a broken record, but it’s just insane that Self is accused of arranging payments to get De Sousa to Kansas and the player is suspended pending the investigation but the coach isn’t. 

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It just infuriates me that De Sousa can’t play but Self can coach. Part of what is wrong with the system is the power these top coaches have. I sound like a broken record, but it’s just insane that Self is accused of arranging payments to get De Sousa to Kansas and the player is suspended pending the investigation but the coach isn’t. 

In principle, I agree, but I don't think Self coaching will cost Kansas forfeitures. If Kansas thought they would, I'll bet he would be suspended. 

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

In principle, I agree, but I don't think Self coaching will cost Kansas forfeitures. If Kansas thought they would, I'll bet he would be suspended. 

I’m saying that it should though. Theoretically, if Self is found to have approved paying players, Kansas should forfeit every game he’s coached. He should technically be deemed an ‘ineligible coach’. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I’m saying that it should though. Theoretically, if Self is found to have approved paying players, Kansas should forfeit every game he’s coached. He should technically be deemed an ‘ineligible coach’. 

I couldn't agree more.  The issue there is when did he first go rogue.  If he's proven to be crooked from day one, I agree...every single game should be forfeited.  Too bad we're dealing with a spineless and toothless NCAA.

Imo a university that continues to employ and allow a coach to run its program that has evidence he knowingly recruited dirty players that were getting paid should be penalized too. Everyone down here is calling for U of L to get the death penalty but if KU let’s Self coach then to me they are blatantly flipping the middle finger to the NCAA and should face tournament ban minimum. Not to mention give up their record consecutive conference championships.

1 minute ago, HoosierMatty said:

So why does Sean Miller still have a job? Is there some kind of new information that proved his innocence? It was like all that drama quietly went away

I’m not sure there was any actual “smoking gun” tape, ESPN ran with the story without fully vetting it.

Having said that, I remember seeing that Sean’s contract was written in such a manner that he was going to get paid most of it (certainly in the millions) if they fired him, even if it was “for cause”.  I think they just decided to ride it out and see what came of it all. 

18 minutes ago, SteveS said:

I’m not sure there was any actual “smoking gun” tape, ESPN ran with the story without fully vetting it.

Having said that, I remember seeing that Sean’s contract was written in such a manner that he was going to get paid most of it (certainly in the millions) if they fired him, even if it was “for cause”.  I think they just decided to ride it out and see what came of it all. 

That would explain some things. I can't believe any school would make a contract that forced them to pay out even with cause.

9 minutes ago, HoosierMatty said:

That would explain some things. I can't believe any school would make a contract that forced them to pay out even with cause.

As near as I can tell, that was not their intent. It appears to be poorly worded.  I'll back Steve up on this...ESPN was too hasty although I still suspect Sean is in some hot water. Time will tell on that but meanwhile, take the Kansas/Bill Self approach and deny, deny, deny until you can't. Kansas knows that suspending Self is an admission of guilt and likely a forfeiture of a bunch of games, so you ride it until you crash. Anyone who watched Indiana knows that stepping up to the plate and Self-reporting is a recipe for disaster.

I think most head coaches will be protected since it seems that assistant coaches are always the bag man ready to take the fall. With so many schools caught up in this the NCAA isn't likely to hand down serious punishments on them. They will likely just say they are going to pass new reforms to clean things up. Maybe a school like Louisville gets nailed with more sanctions. 

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

As near as I can tell, that was not their intent. It appears to be poorly worded.  I'll back Steve up on this...ESPN was too hasty although I still suspect Sean is in some hot water. Time will tell on that but meanwhile, take the Kansas/Bill Self approach and deny, deny, deny until you can't. Kansas knows that suspending Self is an admission of guilt and likely a forfeiture of a bunch of games, so you ride it until you crash. Anyone who watched Indiana knows that stepping up to the plate and Self-reporting is a recipe for disaster.

Truth 

1 hour ago, HoosierMatty said:

I think most head coaches will be protected since it seems that assistant coaches are always the bag man ready to take the fall. With so many schools caught up in this the NCAA isn't likely to hand down serious punishments on them. They will likely just say they are going to pass new reforms to clean things up. Maybe a school like Louisville gets nailed with more sanctions. 

I think you're spot on about the NCAA not really punishing the schools involved. I can easily see them going that direction of new reforms to clean things up and lay out clearer guidelines in the regs. 

7 minutes ago, SpiderMonkey said:

I think you're spot on about the NCAA not really punishing the schools involved. I can easily see them going that direction of new reforms to clean things up and lay out clearer guidelines in the regs. 

Yeah...the scandal is likely too widespread to punish everyone and lose their March Madness cash cow.  Wrong is wrong, but I doubt it matters here.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah...the scandal is likely too widespread to punish everyone and lose their March Madness cash cow.  Wrong is wrong, but I doubt it matters here.

I imagine the NCAA will be looking for an easy out.  But they, themselves, better be looking in the mirror.  

Archived