FBI wiretaps show Sean Miller discussing $100k payments.

milehiiu

Sean can say well Dawkins called me but I never agreed to pay money and I told him no. But the problem with that argument is why were there so many calls? And why were some of them lengthy?  Sounds like a bidding war. If he told him no it should have been one short phone call. If reforms come from all this there needs to be an accountability standard added for assistant coaches tied to the head coach. If major infranctions happen where an assistant pays money the head coach needs to be as liable.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Good thing is that Arizona is a Nike school.  Suck them in.  5 star isn't going to Duke or Kentucky for free when he could go to Louisville for $100k.  

Totally agree, Nike and their blue scum need to get sucked in.  Hopefully it branches out.

51 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

LSU & Creighton are both Nike schools...it's gonna branch out.

Teams like LSU and Western Kentucky that have no basketball tradition but somehow are recently landing 5 star talent are such red flags and look obvious to me these schools are paying players. Sticks out like a sore thumb (not saying tons of others aren't cheating, but teams like these are the biggest slam dunks in my mind).

35 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Teams like LSU and Western Kentucky that have no basketball tradition but somehow are recently landing 5 star talent are such red flags and look obvious to me these schools are paying players. Sticks out like a sore thumb (not saying tons of others aren't cheating, but teams like these are the biggest slam dunks in my mind).

So does Washington and Oregon

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:29 AM, rico said:

Explain the wire fraud to me.

Sorry...not sure if this ever got answered....so when you wire money to someone it doesn't just go from bank to bank. It goes from bank to FEDERAL RESERVE BANK to bank. Thus this is where the FEDs get involved. When you wire money you have to state the reason for sending the money and who it is going to on the forms. Thus I would assume if you lie or purposely disguise to hide the intended recipient or reasons for sending money you are lying to the Federal Govt. This is my best explaination of the wire fraud and how it involves these guys. Basically it's just like catching MOB bosses on tax evasion with the IRS....or insider trading or dozens of other high profile government cases. They rarely catch them or convict them on elaborate charges...typically they get them for "lying to the FBI" or with the IRS etc. It's much easier to prove and it's crazy the penalties...as its pretty obsurd that wire fraud is almost equivilant to murder charges or something like that with how long they can send you away. Anyways hope that helps some...if not sorry to be so late to respond.

3 hours ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Yeah...well stuff like that...what incentive does a shoe company have to pay a player to go to WKU?? Nobody will ever see them? Wondering if schools like that maybe are getting set to renew their contracts or if they have people that will use the shoe companies to funnel money to the players to go there? Maybe that is it.

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance with the FBI involved the NCAA feels compelled to actually do a legit investigation this time around with an authority like that looking over their shoulder?

If they do some obviously CYA type investigation then it will make the FBI look bad along with the NCAA.

thoughts?

2 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Any chance with the FBI involved the NCAA feels compelled to actually do a legit investigation this time around with an authority like that looking over their shoulder?

If they do some obviously CYA type investigation then it will make the FBI look bad along with the NCAA.

thoughts?

NCAA is in a sticky situation. They can't put the whole thing under the rug as too much information came out nor do they want to disrupt their business too much by hammering blue chip programs. My guess is they will try to find the best middle ground (for example, reduction of scholarships, post season ban, fines, head coach's resignation, etc.) and give the general public the impression NCAA is a legit, authoritative institution. In other words, they will try to fool the general public. 

On 10/29/2018 at 4:38 PM, dgambill said:

Sorry...not sure if this ever got answered....so when you wire money to someone it doesn't just go from bank to bank. It goes from bank to FEDERAL RESERVE BANK to bank. Thus this is where the FEDs get involved. When you wire money you have to state the reason for sending the money and who it is going to on the forms. Thus I would assume if you lie or purposely disguise to hide the intended recipient or reasons for sending money you are lying to the Federal Govt. This is my best explaination of the wire fraud and how it involves these guys. Basically it's just like catching MOB bosses on tax evasion with the IRS....or insider trading or dozens of other high profile government cases. They rarely catch them or convict them on elaborate charges...typically they get them for "lying to the FBI" or with the IRS etc. It's much easier to prove and it's crazy the penalties...as its pretty obsurd that wire fraud is almost equivilant to murder charges or something like that with how long they can send you away. Anyways hope that helps some...if not sorry to be so late to respond.

The IRS Is who I would be worried about if I was a parent taking money. I’m a CPA for a top 10 firm and ten years ago the IRS would have already been on this.  I guarantee you the parents aren’t claiming the cash so this is a easy win for them. Even though the parents probably already spent the money and don’t have anymore left, it would still be a win for the IRS. Since it’s now and the IRS is so depleted in regards to it’s resources it hasn’t been pursued yet, but the longer it stays in the news the better chance they go after some of them.

16 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

thoughts?

Welcome back, stranger!

The key to the UK article is that there is no evidence the players accepted the deal. Therefore UK will simply deny everything.  The NCAA will say they investigated and found no evidence.  Dickie V will continue to say how great of a coach the slimy Calipari is even though all of the ESPN announcers have to know about the cheating.  I think I need another cup of coffee.  

17 hours ago, Montana Hoosier said:

The IRS Is who I would be worried about if I was a parent taking money. I’m a CPA for a top 10 firm and ten years ago the IRS would have already been on this.  I guarantee you the parents aren’t claiming the cash so this is a easy win for them. Even though the parents probably already spent the money and don’t have anymore left, it would still be a win for the IRS. Since it’s now and the IRS is so depleted in regards to it’s resources it hasn’t been pursued yet, but the longer it stays in the news the better chance they go after some of them.

Yes high profile case...certainly the parents will be in the crosshairs. As for the agents, shoe companies who are on trial here...wire fraud and any lying to the FBI they will certainly go after as an easy way to threaten them into turning over. Good point about the parents!

36 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

They're having a meltdown on the UK board.  Of course the reason they lost Romeo is because he got paid.  Everyone they ever lost got paid.

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/coach-cals-usa-u19-loss-changed-everything.278416/

They should just hush up....honestly every program is in bed with the shoe companies. Some aren't big enough to see action from it but the major programs...they know what is going on and simply turning a blind eye...if not actively getting involved ala Bill Self. There is no doubt in my mind Calipari is saying to the shoe companies....look...I get guys into the NBA....keep them happy and coming to me and we will keep turning them out. That said I'm sure he is smart enough to not get caught holding the bag...it's a slimy business. Either you lose because others get the guys and get desperate enough to get in on it after facing the hot seat..or you are successful in recruiting and inevitably recruit a kid on the take behind your back...it's likely to happen. Thing is these assistant coaches are under so much pressure to land a kid for these big name coaches...they will do anything. If you don't....how do you compete with those that are?? Again...this is so deep into the system that mid majors are in the action?!! Everyone's dirty...and thus the NCAA will probably do nothing because they can't take down everyone. Just implement some new rules and harsh penalties going forward and call it a day.....ala Steroids in Baseball.

Archived