FBI wiretaps show Sean Miller discussing $100k payments.

milehiiu

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/6/2018 at 11:33 AM, Seeking6 said:

I've been waiting for other shoe to drop on Bill Self since his Dee Brown, Deron Williams (should have had Charlie Villanueva) class at Illinois. Just a matter of time for Bucknell Bill or Dollar Bill...or whatever name we want to call him. 

Just a matter of time...

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

When I think about hearing forum members say "I wish we were more like Kentucky/Kansas/Duke...", this kind of crap always comes to mind.  I have no desire to be like any program where cheating is going on and lest you think Duke is lilly-white, I give you:

https://deadspin.com/5945510/lance-thomas-settled-his-lawsuit-so-you-can-probably-forget-any-improper-benefits-scandal-at-duke

I want no part of this crap and I hope the FBI keeps the light shined on it for a long time.  Before it's all said and done, Kentucky has to be a part of it as well (Anthony Davis, anyone?)

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

When I think about hearing forum members say "I wish we were more like Kentucky/Kansas/Duke...", this kind of crap always comes to mind.  I have no desire to be like any program where cheating is going on and lest you think Duke is lilly-white, I give you:

https://deadspin.com/5945510/lance-thomas-settled-his-lawsuit-so-you-can-probably-forget-any-improper-benefits-scandal-at-duke

I want no part of this crap and I hope the FBI keeps the light shined on it for a long time.  Before it's all said and done, Kentucky has to be a part of it as well (Anthony Davis, anyone?)

IU was vilified over "Sampsongate".  By many other fanbases. But the worst was from the Illinois fans, IMHO.

Yet, "Sampsongate" pales in comparison to :

The 25 Worst NCAA Cheating Scandals in College Sports History

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I have zero clue who has been running ESPN for the past 7-8 years but you would have to try really hard to make as many poor decisions as these clowns have. Reminds me of NASCAR. Got so big so fast...the idiots who were running it didn't know how to deal with it.

ESPN also completely buried the UNC/fake classes story. There was hardly a peep on their platforms about that story. I believe the head of ESPN at the time was a UNC grad. 

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I have zero clue who has been running ESPN for the past 7-8 years but you would have to try really hard to make as many poor decisions as these clowns have. Reminds me of NASCAR. Got so big so fast...the idiots who were running it didn't know how to deal with it.

So it’s not my imagination that nascar has receded a bit

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

ESPN also completely buried the UNC/fake classes story. There was hardly a peep on their platforms about that story. I believe the head of ESPN at the time was a UNC grad. 

ESPN depends on a good relationship with the leagues. I’m sure the NCAA “asked” ESPN to bury the story 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

ESPN depends on a good relationship with the leagues. I’m sure the NCAA “asked” ESPN to bury the story 

I don't know about the NCAA, but particular conferences could have.  But as B pointed out in a round-about sort of way, the powers that be at ESPN do have an agenda themselves.

15 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So it’s not my imagination that nascar has receded a bit

For years it literally was a travelling Super Bowl 30x per year. Sellouts, must see tv,etc....but it's been dead for a long time. Boring cars, so much focus on aero packages and not letting racers race....I haven't watched since Tony retired. Judging by ratings no one else is either.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I wondered how long it would take for Nike to be roped in.

I believe this is just the start of the second layer of what could end up being a 4, 5 or more layered rotten onion. What happens when the IRS get's involved for tax fraud on $100,000 incomes that were not reported? Does Bowen et al start plea bargaining and start naming who was specifically offering Nike money? What happens when schools or alumni associations start suing for fraud against the Gatto's and the players for lost revenue due to NCAA sanctions? I believe this is far from over.

4 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I believe this is just the start of the second layer of what could end up being a 4, 5 or more layered rotten onion. What happens when the IRS get's involved for tax fraud on $100,000 incomes that were not reported? Does Bowen et al start plea bargaining and start naming who was specifically offering Nike money? What happens when schools or alumni associations start suing for fraud against the Gatto's and the players for lost revenue due to NCAA sanctions? I believe this is far from over.

Absolutely, and could even involve more twists and turns than the ones you mentioned.

37 minutes ago, rico said:

Absolutely, and could even involve more twists and turns than the ones you mentioned.

I'm just hoping and praying one of those infamous SEC runners, known and talked about by just about everyone here in the heart of SEC land get's caught up in this!! Imagine the fallout if someone big got nailed by the FBI and IRS and started squealing on the likes of Alabama football!! One can only dream! I would imagine as godlike as SEC football is considered around here, that person would have to worry about ending up like Jimmy Hoffa. Just can't wait until the IRS gets involved, after all they are the ones who took down Al Capone! 

And there's this -- http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24823682/why-ncaa-hoops-scandal-likely-spread-trial-starts

Oregon started bringing in big name players a while back, there were always questions around Oregon's recruiting. To what extent the proceedings open up other schools is going to be interesting to watch.

As long as Indiana's name stays out of this, this is a good thing.  I firmly believe that part of our falling off that started at the end of Knight's tenure (among other things) was our unwillingness to swan dive into this cesspool.  Now, I leave open that coaching staffs may have dipped their toe in from time to time but I really believe that our fall from elite...or the other blue bloods separating from us....had quite a bit to do with this type of stuff.

If guys are not getting paid, Indiana has a leg up on most programs.  I believe that is even more true with our current staff.

9 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

As long as Indiana's name stays out of this, this is a good thing.  I firmly believe that part of our falling off that started at the end of Knight's tenure (among other things) was our unwillingness to swan dive into this cesspool.  Now, I leave open that coaching staffs may have dipped their toe in from time to time but I really believe that are fall from elite...or the other blue bloods separating from us....had quite a bit to do with this type of stuff.

If guys are not getting paid, Indiana has a leg up on most programs.  I believe that is even more true with our current staff.

and to think Kentucky's had two revivals with coaches that definitely had no problem swimming in that cess pool, otherwise they'd likely be sitting at 5 championships like us still.

Archived