FBI wiretaps show Sean Miller discussing $100k payments.

milehiiu

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You don't think elite, 5* big men get paid by shoe companies? We have testimony under oath that De Sousa got $60k from Under Armour and then had to pay it back because Adidas/KU outbid them, and he's was ranked somewhere in the 30's or 40's. I never even heard of him until last year during the season when all this started coming out, and he got that much money? We know Deandre Ayton got 6 figures. Joel Embiid just signed a huge deal with Under Armour. If you're a high-level recruit, regardless of position, you can get paid. 

I don't know if Bryant took money or not, but you have to have your head buried in the sand if you don't think he could have if he wanted to. 

As far as Bryant on the court, not sure what you mean by 'no outside game'? His most attractive quality as a player is that he's a center that can spread the floor. He shot 38% from 3 his sophomore year and last year in the G-League, from NBA range, shot 36%. 

As I've said numerous times, I don't think Tom Crean paid anyone personally. I don't think he ever signed off on anyone getting paid. I think he had recruits that got paid and tried to get other recruits that got paid. I think Maker being as interested as he appeared to be in IU was due to his Adidas ties and I'm sure he got paid by Adidas. I don't know how he ended up at that game vs. MSU, but I think Adidas was involved in that. Again, that doesn't mean Tom Crean called and said "pay him what you have to to get him on campus", it just means that I don't think he's at IU that day without Adidas' involvement and probably in some way IU letting them know they wanted him there. 

Right on cue:

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

😐

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

Yup - not surprised. Anyways, the old coaching regime is gone now (thank god), and if they do find any wrong doing from Crean (big if) - maybe we get wins vacated? (won't be that much anyways)...it doesn't impact the present.

Absolutely nothing is going to come from this.  That testimony proves nothing, and it’s highly unlikely that Crean was directly involved with any major rule violations.  But anyone who doesn’t think he was involved in ANY shady recruiting shenanigans is being willfully ignorant.

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

Absolutely nothing is going to come from this.  That testimony proves nothing, and it’s highly unlikely that Crean was directly involved with any major rule violations.  But anyone who doesn’t think he was involved in ANY shady recruiting shenanigans is being willfully ignorant.

Completely agree with you. Naive for those that think otherwise. 

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This! 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

So you say I'm being naive, while I would say you're being pessimistic. vbg. I'm not trying to tell you what to think, Gleas, it's fair to take your position, I just disagree, and believe that, as reflected above, your belief is not supported by any evidence, it's all conjecture based on the "level of" these recruits. Might there be some payment from Adidas folks that helped get Thon to visit IU? Who knows. So far there is zero evidence of that, and, regardless, that wouldn't make Crean/IU complicit.

I'm not being pessimistic at all. I believe Tom Crean is one of the cleanest coaches at this level, I've said that so many times in this thread you'd think my keyboard would be worn out. I'm being realistic based on the players (specifically Maker) we're discussing, the atmosphere around Crean/IU at the time, the apparent abruptness of the visits, and what we now know about the atmosphere of college basketball at the time. 

We know that numerous players were getting 10's of thousands of dollars simply for introductions to shoe companies, let alone actually attending their schools. We know some guys got six figures. We know Adidas was one of the culprits. We know Kenny Johnson, while not an IU assistant during this Maker/Bryant visit, was accused under oath of being one of four people to be aware of the $100,000 to Bowen's father (Gassnola also testified that Pitino didn't know), and that he actually directly handed over cash to Bowen's father. 

So no, I don't have any direct evidence, and I'll repeat again that I don't think Tom Crean is dirty and I think he was as clean as you can be, but I also think he was pretty desperate at that time and that Adidas played a role in specifically Maker, and potentially Bryant, making that visit. To what extent Crean knew or had anything to do with it, I have no idea, and I'd guess not much if at all, but I don't think Maker made that unofficial visit out of his own pocket.   

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Tom Crean hugged someone, who cares if he hugged this guy or shook his hand during an introduction between the two. Yes IU is an Adidas school but come on. 

It wasn't the hug that was troubling.  It was when he whispered in his ear and said "I've been thinking about you.....a lot".  :coffee:

I still remain unconcerned.

We all know that the shoe companies get involved with these kids early.  The NCAA has known that for years and turned a blind eye to it because they are making billions off the arrangement.  As long as an Indiana coach was not handing money over to a kid, I don't give a crap anymore what the shoe companies did.  If Creighton was getting into this, everyone is.

28 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Not happening my @ss.  It's not happening because of the FBI.  No respect for K anymore.  He's a sellout.

...and a liar.

Considering where he came from and his coaching path, screw him. He will likely be considered the best of all time.  Who mentored him and when did he start cheating? 1992? Coach K is a POS.

Archived