B1G Tournament Discussion

The B1G Tourney takes on greater significance in a year where IU does not qualify for the NCAA.  Thought it would be good to get a discussion thread going.  Nothing would be more enjoyable than to see a magical, if improbable, 4 day run in NYC.  Nebraska hosts Penn State today.  If Nebraska wins, IU will be a 6-seed.  If Penn State wins, IU is a 7- seed.  Either way, their first game is THU.  

It would not surprise me to see IU win two and get to the semis on Saturday.  Depending on upsets and matchups, you never know.  This team is still very engaged, what can they accomplish next week?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Do you want Ohio State or Purdue in the quarterfinals? If Penn State wins today, we would get OSU. If Nebraska wins, we would get Purdue. All of that IF we win our first game, of course. 

3 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Do you want Ohio State or Purdue in the quarterfinals? If Penn State wins today, we would get OSU. If Nebraska wins, we would get Purdue. All of that IF we win our first game, of course. 

Don't care who it is.  Just win the first game and keep on winning.

I'd like another shot at Purdue, assuming a win on Thursday night. I liked CAM's strategy last time to shut down the perimeter and not double Haas, and an upset win over Purdue would be that signature win we've been looking for all year. And, you know, rivalry win and all that goodness.

3 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I'd like another shot at Purdue, assuming a win on Thursday night. I liked CAM's strategy last time to shut down the perimeter and not double Haas, and an upset win over Purdue would be that signature win we've been looking for all year. And, you know, rivalry win and all that goodness.

Good to see you again!  

42 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Who are the potential opponents for the first game?

With Illinois polishing off Rutgers, you can cross them off. We would only see the following teams in the championship:

MSU

Michigan

Nebraska

Maryland

Wisconsin

Illinois

Our first opponent will be one of these four:

Northwestern

Minnesota

Iowa

Rutgers

We won’t know until after the Penn State game at the earliest. After the Iowa game at the latest. 

7 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I like the 7 seed route better. So just so I know. Penn St wins we would get Ohio St in 2nd game. If Nebraska wins we would get our friends from Purdue in 2nd game?

So it looks like we’ve got the 6 seed locked up barring a major comeback by PSU.  That would mean we face the winner of #11 vs. #14 in the first round.  Am I right in assuming that would be Minnesota vs. Iowa if Iowa loses to NW tonight?  That would put both Iowa and Rutgers at 3-13, with Rutgers having the tiebreaker.  If Iowa beats NW tonight, Rutgers would be #14, but I don’t know who would have the tiebreaker between Iowa and Minny because they split this year.  Do you know, DJ?

16 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So it looks like we’ve got the 6 seed locked up barring a major comeback by PSU.  That would mean we face the winner of #11 vs. #14 in the first round.  Am I right in assuming that would be Minnesota vs. Iowa if Iowa loses to NW tonight?  That would put both Iowa and Rutgers at 3-13, with Rutgers having the tiebreaker.  If Iowa beats NW tonight, Rutgers would be #14, but I don’t know who would have the tiebreaker between Iowa and Minny because they split this year.  Do you know, DJ?

I believe Minnesota owns the tie breaker.

1. Results of head-to-head competition during the regular season.

2. Each team's record vs. the team occupying the highest position in the final regular season standings

The highest ranked team that either of them has a win against is Penn State. Minnesota beat Penn State and Iowa was 0-2 against them

9 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

I believe Minnesota owns the tie breaker.

1. Results of head-to-head competition during the regular season.

2. Each team's record vs. the team occupying the highest position in the final regular season standings

The highest ranked team that either of them has a win against is Penn State. Minnesota beat Penn State and Iowa was 0-2 against them

Thanks.  Shouldn’t have trouble beating any of those three, but I guess I’ll be rooting for Iowa tonight.  Would rather see Minnesota or Rutgers than them.

4 minutes ago, HoosierSadaseci said:

I won't be too confident heading into the B1G Ten tournament, mainly because we have never had much success in it, hopefully Archie will have this team ready, and can begin to change my perspective.

It’s hard to expect anything better than winning our first game. We’d be heavy underdogs against Purdont. 

Archived