B1G Tournament Discussion

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You’re entitled to your opinion. I think Purdue would relish the chance at a rematch against IU. I think most Purdue fans preferred that over playing PSU. Who is going to have the task of guarding Carsen?

Rob Johnson. Who pretty well shut him down last time. It was in the Hall though but Rob is a man on D. He has ate up a lot of guards this year. 

^^ Agree, not bad at all.

I'd like to see the national pundits that picked IU to finish higher than MD and Wisconsin, or for that matter, Minn. 

CAM has done, I think, an impressive job of largely turning this team around from about the mid-way point of the season. As KoB has posted above, our D has turned into one of the best in the B1G, and even nationally, during the B1G season. That gives reason for optimism going into next season. Get some outside shooting and improved play at the point, and our guys will start to win a lot of games. (Oh, and I am selfishly, and unabashedly, hoping that Morgan does in fact return for a monster senior season. I think he will -- but hoping for sure.)

hey.  i admit i thought 7th was about as good as we should hope for coming into the season.  again, that was including expecting a lot out of Davis which we obviously did not get.  to me, it's been a pretty successful season considering.  i keep bringing this up, and there are so many if's, but... i like thinking of Morgan, Davis, Green, Durham, Smith, and McRoberts with another season of CAM along with adding Hunter and Phinessee, and i think we can have high expectations for next year.  throw in Romeo and watch out! 

Not to look past the Rutgers/Minny matchup we will have...but we are the better team and have FAR better coaching. 
Beat Purdue (tall task) and we play PSU/OSU. Both teams are more beatable in my book. I do think if we beat Purdue, we play on Sunday.
Maybe Michigan can beat Sparty.

IU over Michigan on Sunday :cheers:   A guy can hope, can't he? 

3 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Not to look past the Rutgers/Minny matchup we will have...but we are the better team and have FAR better coaching. 
Beat Purdue (tall task) and we play PSU/OSU. Both teams are more beatable in my book. I do think if we beat Purdue, we play on Sunday.

I like your scenario. I give it a 0.8% chance.

2 hours ago, cybergates said:

Not bad for a "disappointing" season O.o

I think people are far more disappointed with our pre conference season than how we've played in conference. Finishing 6th doesn't change the fact that we went 7-5 with blow out losses to ISU and IPFW. Personally I'm disappointed with the season as a whole but I'm very optimistic about the future based on the level of talent we have coming in and  hopefully the potential going forward of landing guys like Romeo, TJD, Brooks, Watford, etc. As for this season, it is what it is but I thought we had the talent to be a tournament team but with a new coach there will always be growing pains.

24 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Yes, a guy can hope.  But good thing there are no mandatory drug tests for being a member on this board.

1 hour ago, rico said:

I agree......but it will also be a season, for me anyway, of "what ifs",

Very much so for me as well. The big what ifs are winning the ISU and IPFW games, and pulling out 2-3 of the close losses and I think we're dancing. If we win Thu and beat Turdue on Friday, then another what if comes into play, that our strong play down the stretch suggests if we were in the NCAA tournament we would be dangerous and could pull a miracle sweet 16+ run.

This will be met with a collective "who cares?" on here....

Dakich --"IU is a sleeper, Michigan is the favorite, and I'll be rooting for Ohio St."

Would love for him to be right about the first one. Would love to meet Michigan in the final. 

Hope OSU flames out in their first game.

Hope Dan is in Reno covering the Montana St. Bobcats in the Big Sky tournament

50 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

I think people are far more disappointed with our pre conference season than how we've played in conference. Finishing 6th doesn't change the fact that we went 7-5 with blow out losses to ISU and IPFW. Personally I'm disappointed with the season as a whole but I'm very optimistic about the future based on the level of talent we have coming in and  hopefully the potential going forward of landing guys like Romeo, TJD, Brooks, Watford, etc. As for this season, it is what it is but I thought we had the talent to be a tournament team but with a new coach there will always be growing pains.

Yes, the ISU and IPFW losses were extremely disappointing, but two (very) bad losses doesn't make the season as a whole a disappointment to me. Most of it depends on personal level of expectations coming into and throughout the season I suppose.

Aside from ISU and IPFW, what was disappointing was going 0-7 against teams with a winning record in conference.  Would have liked to get at least one or two of those games to make up for the bad road losses to Illinois and Wisconsin (which are almost always going to happen in the Big Ten).  We were right there in a couple of them, which makes it even more frustrating.  But by and large, not a bad showing overall, especially with getting very little out of Davis.

2 hours ago, slojoe said:

Yes, a guy can hope.  But good thing there are no mandatory drug tests for being a member on this board.

I'm not going to sit here and act like my scenario is likely to happen. I know Purdue is a good team. I know good teams find ways to win. But have you looked at a lot of Purdue's conference games? 

5pts over MD
5pts over NW
1pt over UM
4pts over UM
7pts over IU, knowing the game was closer than 7 points

Since the 7pt win over IU...

2pts over Rutgers
1pt loss to OSU
3pt loss to MSU
4pt loss to Wisconsin
3pt win over PSU
7pts over ILL
And they beat Maryland by 8 and Minnesota by 24

They're a good team. Better than us. But they're clearly beatable. We saw it at Assembly, and I just listed 11 conference games that probably could have gone either way. I don't like Purdue's size advantage, but our bigs have an athleticism advantage over them that they don't have over MSU's size.

We have played 6 periods of basketball against Ohio State this year. Here are the results of those "periods"
1st @ OSU (coming off 1 day rest, playing PU): 38-23
2nd @ OSU (coming off 1 day rest, playing PU): 33-33
3rd vs OSU: 33-33 (56% from the FT line, Juwan on the bench for 12 minutes of this period)
4th vs OSU: 30-30 (56% from the FT line, Juwan on the bench for longer than usual due to fouls, playing conservative D while in)
5th vs OSU: 7-7
6th vs OSU: 10-8, on a last second 3 by OSU

Is it likely to happen? Nah. But definitely not far fetched.

Archived