The way I would clean up college basketball

IU Scott

IMO, the only way to really clean up the game is to have very harsh/severe penalties that are enforced.  And when I say enforced, I'm not only talking about the NCAA but harsh penalties handed down from the NBA as well.  Let's face it, most of these kids could care less about what happens to their alma mater (games, championships, etc being vacated) when they're in the NBA pulling down millions of dollars.  The only way to stop it, or at least make them think twice, is if there is some kind of ban on players and agents who partake in this back room negotiation.  I like the idea of having everything done in the presence of a moderator, either sanctioned by the NCAA or school, but there has to be some kind of penalty for those who take advantage of this.  Maybe the agent loses his license or is ban from operating in the NBA for x amount of  years, and maybe the kid cannot enter the draft for an x amount of time after he leaves school. 

7 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Rather than put any financial onus on the universities to pay athletes and to comply with Title IX, why not go to the Olympics model?

Let kids make money if they can market themselves. They will find out really quickly whether they have any value in the marketplace. Division 1 athletes obviously have a skill that derives revenue for the schools they play for, let them find out how the real world works by hanging their own shingles, and seeing who will pay them.

Students who are on academic scholarship are allowed to sell their skills to the private sector and make money while in school. Athletes seem to be the only group of students who cannot capitalize on their abilities while maintaining the status of a "student athlete".

Royalty was the wrong word. But, why should Devonte Green benefit from wearing #11 when people are clearly purchasing that jersey because of Yogi and some of the other greats that have worn it. Luck of getting a good number?

Essentially you'd have to unionize the players and cut a licensing fee deal with the union and all basketball players would get an equal revenue share of total apparel sales. That's a hornets nest, as I believe the players would then need to be employees to unionize, which bring on entire difference can of worms and problems. 

If colleges wanted to really clean this crap up quick all they need to do is make players sit out their fresh man year.   That would weed out just about every one and done.   Stop waiting on the NBA to fix the problem.   If you really want to have "student" athletes let's make them students 1st.    Making more rules that never get enforced is just useless.

Go Hoosiers!!!

20 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

If colleges wanted to really clean this crap up quick all they need to do is make players sit out their fresh man year.   That would weed out just about every one and done.   Stop waiting on the NBA to fix the problem.   If you really want to have "student" athletes let's make them students 1st.    Making more rules that never get enforced is just useless.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Ding, ding, ding........we have a winner!

26 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

Oh snap - that's the best idea I've heard yet. The ball would be back in the NBA's court then (pun intended). If the NBA is going to capitalize off of the NCAA's freshman and not help the NCAA regulate this mess then I agree with that: sit them. That'd force the NBA to drop the age requirement all together or implement a 3 year minimum requirement for incoming rookies to play in college, the G League or in Europe. I prefer the latter as a college fan, but again, I just hate the idea of denying a person the right to make money if he's got the skills to play at the pro level as a legal adult. 

The above got me thinking. What measures do you think the NBA could take to help the NCAA out. What's your optimal outcome?

1. Players can enter the draft right out of high school. 
a. if they don't get drafter they can go to the g-league/europe
b. if they don't declare and want to go to college then they have to stay for 3 years.

2. If an Agent is found giving money or benefits that go against the NCAA rules to any kid who decides to go to college they are ban from represented players in the NBA.

This is what I think. If you want to go to school go. If you want money turn pro. There is more places to play to make money than the NBA. If you or a family member is caught talking to an agent, shoe guy or runner, you are gone, done. School gets booted from Tournament for 2 years. So be careful who you recruit.

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Oh snap - that's the best idea I've heard yet. The ball would be back in the NBA's court then (pun intended). If the NBA is going to capitalize off of the NCAA's freshman and not help the NCAA regulate this mess then I agree with that: sit them. That'd force the NBA to drop the age requirement all together or implement a 3 year minimum requirement for incoming rookies to play in college, the G League or in Europe. I prefer the latter as a college fan, but again, I just hate the idea of denying a person the right to make money if he's got the skills to play at the pro level as a legal adult. 

Thing is this is how it used to be.  Freshman weren't eligible to play until 72.  Here's an interesting read.  It's been discussed but no action.  Maybe this mess will have them rethink doing it again.

https://ussporthistory.com/2015/10/22/a-brief-history-of-freshman-eligibility-and-race-in-the-ncaa/

Go Hoosiers!!!

13 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

Thing is this is how it used to be.  Freshman weren't eligible to play until 72.  Here's an interesting read.  It's been discussed but no action.  Maybe this mess will have them rethink doing it again.

https://ussporthistory.com/2015/10/22/a-brief-history-of-freshman-eligibility-and-race-in-the-ncaa/

Go Hoosiers!!!

Interesting article.....but Joe Paterno talking about exploitation?

4 minutes ago, slojoe said:

LeBron must be reading our board.  He stated that the NCAA is hopelessly corrupt and can't be fixed.  He suggests the NCAA expand the G league to give the NBA a "farm system".

this is from a guy that took money and was bought a Hummer by a shoe company while he was in high school.

1 hour ago, slojoe said:

LeBron must be reading our board.  He stated that the NCAA is hopelessly corrupt and can't be fixed.  He suggests the NCAA expand the G league to give the NBA a "farm system".

Most of you know I'm a huge NBA fan and used to work in the league, but I am getting so sick and tired of the arrogance of the NBA, and people like LeBron and Van Gundy calling the NCAA corrupt. Of course the NCAA is a cesspool, I get it and am not trying to put up some defense of the NCAA, but a huge part of the corruptness of the NCAA lies at the feet of the NBA, and it ticks me off they don't take responsibility for that.

The one and done rule? NBA rule. The people selling high school athletes to the highest bidding college program? NBA/NBAPA sanctioned agents. The guys running all these AAU teams and tournament? NBA players and shoe companies. 

I mean, how is the NCAA supposed to stop NBA/NBAPA sanctioned agents from infiltrating their sport? Maybe if the NBA took some ownership and made the criteria for becoming an NBA agent more stringent and actually policed them and punished them for selling high school athletes, there would be less of a problem. Stan Van Gundy called the one and done rule racist, well Stan step up to the plate and do something about it. Meet with the commissioner, form a group of coaches that agree with you and demand the rule get changed. We already know the players want it changes, so shouldn't be too hard to rally support.

The NCAA is a joke and isn't perfect, but the last thing it needs is the NBA nd NBAPA acting all pompous and arrogant like they're not a huge part of the problem. Maybe if the NBA came to the table, took some ownership, and actually tried to fix their end, things would get a lot better. 

Look at the below link from the NBAPA website on how to become an NBA agent. It's a joke. 

https://nbpa.com/becoming-an-agent/

Rant over!

Archived